IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Heads up, Ashton!
If you haven't already, [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/13/science/physical/13QED.html|read this NY Times article.]

(cypherpunks6:cypherpunks6) for those not registered.
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New Sorry, they're already onto it
cypherpunks6 didn't work.

iwethey didn't work.

Tried one of my fake hotmail accounts and it didn't go in. hmmm.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New iwethey/iwethey worked for me ~5 mins ago...
It's an article on a play about Richard Feynman in case folks can't get through.
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New And then it started working
Hmmm. Oh well something must have glitched on their site when I was trying it yesterday.
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it."
-- Donald Knuth
New Thanks for tip.
Knew about the play, think Alda good enough to pull it off. Link worked for me.

It's almost ... enough to get me to go to LA. I missed seeing a local (Marin) version, not quite the same play and by report, not quite enough talent to convince either. Seems to be the year? decade for remembering Feynman. He was a rarity if not unique: suffered fools not at all (not every physicist 'loved' him) but with talents far afield, and actual rapport with people (!) The Challenger bit was Delicious. They wouldn't even let his version into the final report! an addendum IIRC.

Maybe like the popularity of re-runs of film noir and the Independents (since Hollywood can only make $100M inane flops now) -- we're hungry to vicariously experience what real talent was like before.. the great homogenization of everything began in earnest. I can understand that.

Remember before strip malls and a Blockbuster [literally] + Nike + McD everywhere shore-to-shore? When there were actual different 'stores', eateries and stuff?

No present sci folk I can think of, with a hint of Feynman's panache (let alone genius) - it's all tending towards bizness grey, like a Kodachrome slide left out in the sun?

Gotta see if I can face LA, for this good cause..

Cheers,

A.
New Huh? What the heck is up with this???
From the [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/13/science/physical/13QED.html|article] (which I got to just fine using cypherpunks6/cypherpunks6):
The book describes their attempts, near the end of Feynman's life, to arrange a visit to Tannu Tuva, which was then part of the Soviet Union. Among its attractions, Feynman discovered in a geography book, was the spelling of its capital city, Kyzyl.

"I started to have an image of this guy who was one of the smartest people on the planet, who knew he was dying, but nevertheless devoted a great deal of his time to this apparently trivial pursuit of getting to this country because he thought it would be interesting to go to a place whose capital city had no vowels in it."
WTF?!?

Since when is 'y' not a vowel? Now, sure, I realize in English it's often *also* used as a consonant... But are you really going to tell me the word "hymn" has no vowel in it?

And, perhaps even more to the point, what makes them think Tuvanian has the same silly (sometime-?) convention as English, when almost (or absolutely) no other language on Earth does?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Re: Huh? What the heck is up with this???
"... a place whose capital city had no vowels in it."

That's what's called doing it for the hell of it without being blunt about it.

"Vowels are A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes Y" is the way I've always heard it. Don't be so ready to lynch us for English idiosyncrasies. :)
Alex

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)
New The only language I know of, that *really has* vowel-less...
...words, is Serbo-Croatian. With place-names like [link|http://www.grad-krk.hr/english/|Krk], and whatnot... :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Then there's Qhlgm...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Isn't that what comes out of your nose when you sneeze?
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Don't think That was RP's source of interest in Tuva
Just maybe a further quasi-oddity.

I too recall the triangular stamps from there; he just recalled it more quizzically than lesser mortals like moi. He had the funds and the mere desire for a Lark? (I. Guess.)

Irony.. that the official OK arrived within days of his death. Life - you don't get out of it alive.

A.
     Heads up, Ashton! - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
         Sorry, they're already onto it - (wharris2) - (2)
             iwethey/iwethey worked for me ~5 mins ago... - (Meerkat) - (1)
                 And then it started working - (wharris2)
         Thanks for tip. - (Ashton)
         Huh? What the heck is up with this??? - (CRConrad) - (5)
             Re: Huh? What the heck is up with this??? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 The only language I know of, that *really has* vowel-less... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     Then there's Qhlgm... -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Isn't that what comes out of your nose when you sneeze? -NT - (jb4)
             Don't think That was RP's source of interest in Tuva - (Ashton)

For what it's worth, gangrene makes one testy.
95 ms