IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Initial developer release of Croquet available
[link|http://opencroquet.org/Croquet_Technologies/downloads.html|http://opencroquet.o...es/downloads.html]
New KFC Request: What is it, besides "croquet"?
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Think...
3-D interface to a distributed set of computers. With very vague statements of what it wishes to accomplish, but some big names on board (eg Alan Kay) to give hope that it might actually go somewhere.

At least that is my outsider's view.

Cheers,
Ben
I have come to believe that idealism without discipline is a quick road to disaster, while discipline without idealism is pointless. -- Aaron Ward (my brother)
New Several pieces to it
First, its written in Smalltalk - Squeak specifically.

It uses OpenGL for 3D rendering - offloading most of the heavy lifting to hardware accelleration.

It supports 3D user interface creation via some fairly trick modeling tools (draw a picture - then inflate it).

It has a new scripting language/UI framework called Tweak which is massively multi-threaded (every event is forked to a new Smalltalk process). This is kind of new and will require some tuning I think (I've been playing with it for a month or so). It works but there are probably lots of optimization opportunities.

There is a distributed event synchronization protocol called TeaTime which makes it possible to distribute the 3D worlds around the network. You can create a world, then create a portal to someone elses world. Think of portals like hyperlinks on the web.

Its still a work in progress but its been in development for at least a couple years.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
New Perfect, thanks!
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
     Initial developer release of Croquet available - (FuManChu) - (4)
         KFC Request: What is it, besides "croquet"? -NT - (Yendor) - (3)
             Think... - (ben_tilly)
             Several pieces to it - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 Perfect, thanks! -NT - (Yendor)

Golden Service, Incorporated
58 ms