IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New We had a big fight over case-vs-poly a few years ago

Mr. Moderator: Can you tell me gentlemen what your views are on objects that are PolyMorphic.

John F. Kerry: Well, yes I can. When I was in Vietnam we faced a fiersome enemy in the VietCong and that enemy was often hiding in the camouflage where I couldn't see him like under a rock or something. And there would be another one like him, but different. And he would be behind a tree or something. And so when I called the first by name - "Hey Charlie" - he would respond by saying "nope. rock" and the second would respond by saying "nope. tree". Then I knew I had him, because I knew that they were polymorphic objects. That's when I blasted 'em with my Kalashnikov. I mean my M16.

George W. Bush: PolyMorphic, that means changin' or something. And I know them al quaider terrorists fellas hide a lot and change the way they look. And that's bad. Bad for America, bad for freedom and bad for the world.

New Ha! :-)
     Lines of code in a Java method ... - (bluke) - (73)
         I don't know of studies of this with OO languages - (ben_tilly) - (64)
             I remember that when I read Code Complete ... - (bluke) - (60)
                 Hence my speculation about how and why to change that for OO -NT - (ben_tilly) - (59)
                     In OO code many of the decision points ... - (bluke) - (58)
                         Quibble - (ben_tilly) - (57)
                             Okay, thought it was just me - (drewk) - (46)
                                 Not really missing anything. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                     VMT in C++ - (Arkadiy)
                                 The superclass decides nothing - (ben_tilly) - (43)
                                     Once again, it's the terminology - (drewk) - (40)
                                         That's not multiple inheritance - (ben_tilly)
                                         Ramble ramble ramble - (FuManChu)
                                         Yes and No - (bluke) - (37)
                                             I mis-read Ben - (drewk) - (36)
                                                 You misunderstand interfaces and factories ... - (bluke) - (2)
                                                     Drew is right. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                         My point was - (bluke)
                                                 I'm actually on the fence - (ben_tilly) - (32)
                                                     That is with implementation inheritance - (bluke) - (2)
                                                         That is both with interface and implementation inheritance - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                             With interfaces it is less of a concern - (bluke)
                                                     Hadn't heard of LSP - (drewk) - (28)
                                                         Huh? - (tuberculosis) - (27)
                                                             Don't get all religious on me - (drewk) - (26)
                                                                 Going to disagreed on this point - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                                                                     agreed - (deSitter)
                                                                 Re: Don't get all religious on me - (JimWeirich) - (23)
                                                                     And that's the key point - (ben_tilly) - (22)
                                                                         Someday I've got to take a class - (drewk) - (21)
                                                                             ..when I get my inheritance -NT - (deSitter)
                                                                             Yup. No generic substitute for that. -NT - (FuManChu)
                                                                             Good idea in this instance. - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                 I object; it's part of a general pattern -NT - (FuManChu) - (13)
                                                                                     Ah, but I have a cunning strategy... - (admin) - (12)
                                                                                         Bah. Overridden. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                                             Overloaded your capacity for understanding, eh? - (admin)
                                                                                         Ashton, is that you? - (Another Scott) - (7)
                                                                                             Better than the treasurer... - (admin) - (6)
                                                                                                 He'll have to wait - I'm collecting garbage - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                                                                                     Coincidentally, there's a fellow around here named Mark... - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                         I'm sorry but that pointer is dangling - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                                                                             Some people have too much time on their hands... - (static) - (2)
                                                                                                                 You're a real LALRf riot. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                                     So you sed. Personally, I think it's a Perl in the Blinker. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                         Uuuuuhh... - (jb4)
                                                                                         The cun.. er, clever linguist suffers Code 715 - (Ashton)
                                                                             Or an interface - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                                                                 Yes, and that's what we do - (drewk) - (1)
                                                                                     Language doesn't need to support abstract class - (tuberculosis)
                                                                             That was not what I meant - (bluke)
                                     It's a decision, but it's abstracted out - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                         Yes, but I don't care how it works - (bluke)
                             DP's are compressed in OO - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                 Polymorphism relies on a lie - (tablizer) - (5)
                                     Re: Polymorphism relies on a lie - (admin) - (2)
                                         Mostly, it is - (tablizer) - (1)
                                             To the naive programmer, perhaps. - (admin)
                                     Something tells me you'd like prototype OO as a midground -NT - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                         *No-one* can eat that much crow -NT - (pwhysall)
                             We had a big fight over case-vs-poly a few years ago -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                                 Charley Rock Tree - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                     Ha! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Re: I don't know of studies of this with OO languages - (deSitter)
             Interesting comment by Ron Jeffries - (bluke) - (1)
                 Re: Interesting comment by Ron Jeffries - (deSitter)
         to minimize the damage that these kind of developers wreak - (Arkadiy) - (1)
             Unfortunately I can't - (bluke)
         4. -NT - (FuManChu) - (2)
             In smalltalk that might be realistic - (bluke) - (1)
                 That was my point. Glad someone got the joke :) -NT - (FuManChu)
         1/2 page - (tuberculosis)
         Re: Lines of code in a Java method ... - (dshellman) - (1)
             Agree - (bluke)

Particularly fine on the conical-bore cornet.
392 ms