IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Don't know enough.
Spectrum analyzer is one view; FFT (Fourier) another. In real time - some phonemes are discernible by those who stare at lots of these, particularly the 'attack', start of a sibilant. There could well be a few noticeable characteristics, especially statistically over a lengthy message.

Whether this adds up to (anyone?) being capable of inferring accent? language..? can't say. If it's hard for a people to do, would have to be lots harder for a robot. It would be one big modelling and stat program (?)

Like say: grading diamonds via Tee Vee camera ?! in the visual sphere.

Sorry,

A.
New The idea is what the feds are asking help with
if the language can be identified, the recording can be shipped to a linguist for translation. The req is for identifying specific languages by machine and trigger a data point for further investigation.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New I can appreciate the utility..
But in my friend trying to teach me a little of *correctly inflected* Russian (and I have a good ear for, voice for 'language sounds', generally) - you'd (maybe) not believe how Many ways you can (try to) say:

Tu\ufffd\ufffd grosnya kapitalistichiskaya sviny\ufffd!
You filthy capitalist swine!

I know that the scope display of just one of these words (storage scope that is) would show the nasal, throat qualities as lo-freq. waveforms, with the sibillants as hi-freq modulation at start.. but -

Now add-in the mumblers, the couth-less, the local acc\ufffdnts.. Perhaps Ben's suggestions below - can tell you how near we might be. I'd opine that: if voice-recog. is up to querying a truly International glossary of sounds VS a valid sample of a message of more than a few words: your accuracy would reflect the state of the (Office) art.

I do recall that (couple years ago I think) there were some algorithms better suited for one-shot guesstimates / others for (the 'training' approach). The latter produced much higher overall accuracy (99% for deliberate slow speech?).

You can bet the Feds have had a chat with IBM and Kurtzweill (?) already. Can also bet - further improvement will Not come from a Billy, "writing neat tight C+ code"* (the pompous, arrogant snivelling Lying bastard). You can't code without a productive algorithm (right?)

* yeah the little prick actually Said that was "his hobby!" - got a link somewhere.

Luck,
A.

New how I would approach the problem
have a US groupie walk thru the bazaar in Quetta, Kabul, Medina with an open mike and record all the sounds. run software that will turn it into waves match these files against crowd noise in other countries. The aggregate will define those slop mouths, mumblers non native language speakers etc and hopefully an common identifier. If the general theory sounds interesting I will be putting in a bid. They have approached the usual suspects for this kind of thing but they have failed. It is now being presented to the garage inventors, the tinkeres, the IWETHEYers. If the one page concept will get flagged I will need a three page then the next step is a detailed outline followed by a contract for work. This is something we as a group could share in although not all might be in favor of that particular ability to pick out a language like that.
thanx,
bill
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
     Undead horse watch - (marlowe) - (30)
         NYC revival? He's on the job. - (marlowe)
         Clinton regrets not plunging us into disaster more promptly. - (marlowe)
         Only carrion watch dead horses. -NT - (Ashton) - (2)
             Err.. Carrion *eaters*... but yeah... -NT - (hnick) - (1)
                 Yes of course.. dazzled by The Reg's logo. :-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Clinton comes out and blames America for 911! - (marlowe) - (19)
             Clinton comes out and blames Clinton for 9/11! - (rsf) - (2)
                 About that point 3 - (marlowe) - (1)
                     I know - (rsf)
             If that's all you got out of that all.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Don't bother. It is a waste of time. -NT - (ben_tilly)
             Wash. Times take on the infamous speech. - (marlowe) - (13)
                 OK, I'm about done replying to your "juicy" jingoistic crap. - (Ashton) - (9)
                     latest skank report! did she lie? her lips are moving! :) - (boxley) - (8)
                         Solution: never tell a journalist *anything* 24/7. -NT - (Ashton) - (7)
                             OT you have experience with waveforms right? - (boxley) - (6)
                                 Don't know enough. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     The idea is what the feds are asking help with - (boxley) - (2)
                                         I can appreciate the utility.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             how I would approach the problem - (boxley)
                                 It's a tough problem. - (Another Scott)
                                 Probably only generally - (ben_tilly)
                 Thank you... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                     Followup - by the Washington Times... - (Simon_Jester)
                     thank You. - (Ashton)
         Presidential underdog breaks same old ground. - (marlowe)
         Ed: The Clinton Team\ufffds Betrayal - (marlowe)
         Ed: Clinton, leave well -- and bad -- enough alone - (marlowe) - (2)
             Not really possible, is it... - (Simon_Jester)
             Er umm: which president is it - censoring All previous - (Ashton)

Filtering out the sesame seeds.
113 ms