IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Trying to tank the demo?
Yeeesh. I liked Mandrake, til I bought and tried to install 7.0.

*shudder*.

Addison
New Eye candy.
Mandrake has the NICEST looking default that I've seen.

Not to mention that I got it just by downloading it. Free. No cost. Big dollar savings. :)

They especially liked when I showed them the Mandrake software mirror. Just click on the app in the Netscape windows and you can install it. Provided you know the root password. So I installed nmap (with nice front end) with only a click or two.

I'll show them Debian on the server I'm setting up (DNS/DHCP).

We're running a mix of NetWare and NT/W2K. I'm going to look at replacing the file/print services with Linux boxes when Samba 2.2.2 (with Winbind) comes out. We'll see how well eDirectory from Novell is.

The key is moving as many systems as possible off of proprietary (fee based) software and onto free software.

It's always hard to get them to spend money on something that is already free. (learning from MS's example)
New Beware.
The Gnome desktop under Mandrake 8.0 tends to lock up (at least on my 64m Cyrix M200).

I loved 7.2; 8.0 is little better than Windows, stability-wise, in my experience... I did like Mandrake 7.1 and 7.2, though. I've upgraded a lot of things since installing, and it's a lot better now, but 8.0 shook my faith in the distro ('Course, it was a 'dot-zero' release, so I was also kind of expecting some wierdness). I'm sure you'll be able to fix anything that comes up (I have been able to, after all *grin*) - you might not have any trouble on true Pentiums for that matter - but, well, "Beware".

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait

• Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
New Concur....go 7.2
8 is fundamentally broken is several key areas...most notably is that it will not install on a machine with an add-on ultra-ata card. Once pst that you get into the further issues taht Imric detailed. 7.2 was fabulous. 8 sux rox
Um...er...well...

I have no choice!

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
     Gang rush to Linux everywhere. - (addison) - (5)
         I'm demo'ing Mandrake 8.0 here. - (Brandioch) - (4)
             Trying to tank the demo? - (addison) - (3)
                 Eye candy. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                     Beware. - (imric)
                     Concur....go 7.2 - (bepatient)

Coffee, Johnny?
66 ms