IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hmmm, Jobs or Politics?
I reckon its a little bit of both.

Factory owner fires factory worker for displaying Kerry sticker on car.

[link|http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/040912/sticker.shtml|http://www.decaturda...912/sticker.shtml]

Kerry hears about it and offers her a job on his campaign.

[link|http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturdaily/news/040915/fired.shtml|http://www.decaturda...40915/fired.shtml]

(--employed)++

Seems to me this employer's actions ought to be illegal.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:41:38 AM EDT
New She has an actionable case...
...I hope some hotshot tort lawyer takes this case pro bono, and rams a cucumber the size of my fist up that schmuck Gaddes's ass!

Hey, didn't Edwards used to be a tort lawyer?!?
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Maybe
A lot of states are "at will" states. Meaning that they can fire you for any reason, or no reason at all. They only get into trouble if they state a reason that contradicts a non-discrimination law.

If no non-discrimination law mentions "political party", then she may be outta luck.

Cheers,
Ben
About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. -- Edsgar W. Dijkstra
New Indiana's one of those. :-(
bcnu,
Mikem

"The struggle for the emancipation of the working class is not between races or religions. It is one of class against class. Every trace of anti-Semitism, or any form of race hatred cannot assist the oppressed, it can on the contrary only aid the exploiters. Workers of all nationality, religion or creed must stand together against the common enemy: capitalism."
-Ted Grant
New Correct
I am taking an employment law class and "At-Will" states can be tricky.

The groups protected by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1967 are: Race, Color, Religion, Sex (gender actually), or national origin. The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1991 was passed to cover discrimination on the basis of disability. The ADEA or Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 covers those over the age of 40 from being discriminated against from an employer.

So for the main protected groups by Federal law we have: Race, Color, Religion, Sex (gender), national origin, disability, and age (over 40). Pollitical affiliation is not covered by Federal law, sorry.

California law covers discrimination on groups of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. These laws may vary by state. Missouri seems to only cover race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability or age (40-69). Notice that Missouri does not cover sexual orientation or marital status, yet sex is covered and may be applied to pregnate women and other differences between the sexes (the PC term is Gender, not sex).

There also are sexual harassment laws, but this case does not qualify.

So in some cases your manager can act like a jerk and fire you for silly reasons not covered by the above groups. Maybe they don't like your taste in music? Maybe they think you are an obnoixous person and fire you for that? Maybe they caught you with a Dilbert calendar? In an "At-Will" state (I think 28 US States are "At-Will" states) they can fire you for silly reasons not covered by protected groups or no reason whatsoever.

"When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

[link|http://www.xormad.com:4096/district268|I am from District 268].
New Even better...
I hope this get's pushed to the BLOGs and other left sites and they start a boycott of his company.

It needs to be heard.
New So That's what Alabama lawyers learn in playskool!
New If you'd like to express your opinion
EnviroMate Insulation 13855 Court Street

Moulton, Alabama 35650

Phone: (256)350-0442

Email Address:

phil@pgeddes.com or pageddes@bellsouth.net

Web Site:

www.pgeddes.com

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Sept. 16, 2004, 06:25:35 PM EDT
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 12:41:59 PM EDT
New I'll get my cellulose insulation elsewhere from now on.
That'll larn 'im.
Gaddis, a Decatur bankruptcy attorney, owns Enviromate, a cellulose insulation company in Moulton.

Now if I ever need to file for bankruptcy, that's a different story. In that case, I'd still go elsewhere.
-----------------------------------------
It is much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
     Hmmm, Jobs or Politics? - (tuberculosis) - (8)
         She has an actionable case... - (jb4) - (4)
             Maybe - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                 Indiana's one of those. :-( -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Correct - (orion)
             Even better... - (Simon_Jester)
         So That's what Alabama lawyers learn in playskool! -NT - (Ashton)
         If you'd like to express your opinion - (tuberculosis)
         I'll get my cellulose insulation elsewhere from now on. - (Silverlock)

This too shall pass.
57 ms