IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New War Criminals R Us
[link|http://www.guardian.co.uk/guantanamo/story/0,13743,1303294,00.html|http://www.guardian....3,1303294,00.html]

The CIA analyst had been sent there to find out what was going wrong. He was fluent in Arabic and familiar with the Islamic world. He was held in high respect within the agency, and was capable of reporting directly, if he chose, to George Tenet, the CIA director. The analyst did more than just visit and inspect. He interviewed at least 30 prisoners to find out who they were and how they ended up in Guant\ufffdnamo. Some of his findings, he later confided to a former CIA colleague, were devastating.
Two former administration officials who read the analyst's highly classified report told me that its message was grim. According to a former White House official, the analyst's disturbing conclusion was that "if we captured some people who weren't terrorists when we got them, they are now".
As the CIA analyst's report was making its way to Rice, in late 2002 there were a series of heated complaints about the interrogation tactics at Guant\ufffdnamo from within the FBI, whose agents had been questioning detainees in Cuba since the prison opened. A few of the agents began telling their superiors what they had witnessed, which, they believed, had little to do with getting good information.
The unifying issue for General Gordon and his supporters inside the administration was not the abuse of prisoners at Guant\ufffdnamo, the former White House official told me: "It was about how many more people are being held there that shouldn't be. Have we really got the right people?" The briefing for Condoleezza Rice about problems at Guant\ufffdnamo took place in the autumn of 2002. It did not dwell on the question of torture or mistreatment. The main issue, the former White House official told me, was simply, "Are we getting any intelligence? What is the process for sorting these people?"
One of the marines assigned to guard duty at Guant\ufffdnamo in 2003, who has since left the military, told me, after being promised anonymity, that he and his enlisted colleagues at the base were encouraged by their squad leaders to "give the prisoners a visit" once or twice a month, when there were no television crews, journalists, or other outside visitors at the prison.

"We tried to fuck with them as much as we could - inflict a little bit of pain. We couldn't do much," for fear of exposure, the former marine, who also served in Afghanistan, told me.
---

Lots more to read - but it is as I suspected, our very own pointless concentration camp. Democracy does not flower in darkness.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:38:20 AM EDT
New Yep, heard Seymour Hersh on "Meet the Press"...
along with Bob Woodward author of \ufffdPlan of Attack\ufffd. The responsibility for the (non-productive!) atrocities goes right up to the top of Administration.
Alex

"If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words." -- Philip K. Dick, US science fiction writer
     War Criminals R Us - (tuberculosis) - (1)
         Yep, heard Seymour Hersh on "Meet the Press"... - (a6l6e6x)

LYNX-tested and approved!
48 ms