IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dude...I'm on DIALUP!
so how is a hardware firewall or doing anything with port forwarding going to help?

And go back to win9x?!? Riiiight...no chance for corruption there, nosiree!

Now, Linux...there's a solution. Once I get a distribution together (find a decent admin primer), I'm there. Might not be a bad idea to do all my internet prowling from within Linux....

But in the interim, a Three R's looks like it is in my future.

Note that all this started happening when I installed Real's spyware. I now have the "enterprise"/gold version that someone (possibly you) pointed me to, and I will install it once I get rid of this "problem".
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New I used my D-Link DI-704P on dialup before I got cable...
You should have a hardware firewall. And not just to join the l337 who have one. :-) [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=50525|#50525].

There may not be a similar cheap firewall/switch box now for modems as external consumer modems are nearly at the Dodo end of the evolutionary stick. But check around.

Oh, and you should install SP4 too. MS says nothing about Activation being required and some web sites out there say that Win2k will never require Activation. [link|http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp4/default.asp|SP4 home]. You should get the Network install version if you're paranoid, but use a non-infected machine to get it. It's 132 MB so you might want to see if someone at work has it and not try to do it over dial-up. ;-)

HTH. Luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yep...
If you want I know of someone that has an ISO image of W2K-SP3 that is bootable and installable with no requirement to ever be activated... ever.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
Here is an example: [link|http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/|Executing arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX when using Windows]
Expand Edited by folkert Sept. 14, 2004, 09:01:39 PM EDT
New What he said. What I said.
-drl
     Any ideas as to WTF is going on? - (jb4) - (53)
         Re: Any ideas as to WTF is going on? - (altmann) - (16)
             Thanx...BTW I'm running W2Ksp2 - (jb4) - (14)
                 I've got tons of systems on SP4 with no home-phoning. - (Silverlock) - (13)
                     OK, Now I'm confused... - (jb4) - (12)
                         Sigh. - (pwhysall) - (11)
                             What he said. - (Silverlock)
                             Unroll yer eyes, and use them to read! - (jb4) - (9)
                                 Wow, approaching Conrattitude! -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Conrattitude! /me likes! ;-) -NT - (jb4)
                                 Ooh, snippy. - (pwhysall)
                                 Oh, and I did. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                     Yerah, but read for *contex*t, and you'll hafta admit... - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                         I know, I know... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                             How the **** could I? Effing bastidge. -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                 buy ticket, fly over, drink beer, fly home, nurse hangover. -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
                                                     Nurse Hangover? sounds like a chr from MASH -NT - (deSitter)
             Yep exactly - he's RPC exploited seems like -NT - (deSitter)
         Antivirus installed? - (pwhysall) - (23)
             Tried Avast? Very nice, very free - (deSitter) - (1)
                 Not tried, AVG is adequate. And free. -NT - (pwhysall)
             Yes...McAfee - (jb4) - (20)
                 AVG seems to be more... - (folkert) - (19)
                     What's the oldest Win 9X AVG will run on? - (lincoln) - (18)
                         Avast www.avast.com - (deSitter) - (2)
                             Arrr -NT - (altmann) - (1)
                                 scurrrrvay knave :) -NT - (deSitter)
                         Take a look here... - (folkert) - (14)
                             Thanks for finding the info! - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 No probs. -NT - (folkert)
                             Got it...didn't help...and its getting worse.... - (jb4) - (11)
                                 Re: what cpd.exe is? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                     Caveat - (drewk)
                                     Thanks. - (jb4)
                                 Re: Got it...didn't help...and its getting worse.... - (deSitter) - (7)
                                     Service Pack 1a for what? - (jb4) - (6)
                                         Sorry, thought you were on XP - (deSitter) - (3)
                                             The trouble w/ SP>2 is - (jb4) - (2)
                                                 Re: The trouble w/ SP>2 is - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                     He's talking about an implementation in the license - (jake123)
                                         Re: Service Pack 1a for what? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             SP4 on W2K -NT - (deSitter)
         I found something you might want to do. - (folkert) - (11)
             Oooohh! Nice! - (jb4)
             Done! - (jb4) - (9)
                 How'd it do for you? - (folkert) - (8)
                     Well.... - (jb4) - (7)
                         !!! - (deSitter) - (6)
                             Not if it means that I have to go beyond W2K SP2!!! - (jb4) - (5)
                                 Yes, you are. - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                                     Dude...I'm on DIALUP! - (jb4) - (3)
                                         I used my D-Link DI-704P on dialup before I got cable... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Yep... - (folkert)
                                             What he said. What I said. -NT - (deSitter)

Please... I can't take this kind of stimulation! I got Disney tunes running all through my head at just the thought of it.
149 ms