IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Going to take over the VB crowd initially
My friends who work in the webapposphere tell me that .NET is the tool of choice for quick'n'dirty weblications, but for real work you almost always end up with Java + Oracle.

We're currently building a very large application (30-odd servers, vast amounts of data (it's GIS-based in part), web-driven front-end, etc) and the only serious toolset for this is Java of some stripe or other. We're an Oracle shop anyway, so it'd be daft not to leverage that.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Big apps
I have a friend who works for a very big company that sells giant apps (SAP/PeopleSoft kind of stuff).

He spent the last year trying to get a daily batch process to complete in under 24 hours using Java. His conclusion after much profiling was JDBC overhead is excessive in Java. They ended up doing a bridge to native code to make it work fast enough.

Java still has a lot of performance scaling issues in some key areas. JDBC is one. GUI development remains shiite as well.

Its just sad.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:37:49 AM EDT
New yep, my favorite quote around here is
run this hog on a 386 running linux and flatfiles with cgi web interfaces, half the downtime at twice the speed. Gets a few sideways looks.
thanx.
bill
These miserable swine, having nothing but illusions to live on, marshmallows for the soul in place of good meat, will now stoop to any disgusting level to prevent even those miserable morsels from vanishing into thin air. The country is being destroyed by these stupid, vicious right-wing fanatics, the spiritual brothers of the brownshirts and redstars, collectivists and authoritarians all, who would not know freedom if it bit them on the ass, who spend all their time trying to stamp, bludgeon, and eviscerate the very idea of the individual's right to his own private world. DRL
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     Is this the end? - (deSitter) - (18)
         Check the date, Ross. Check the date. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (17)
             Oops wrong window - (deSitter) - (16)
                 Going to take over the VB crowd initially - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                     Re: Going to take over the VB crowd initially - (JayMehaffey)
                     Re: Going to take over the VB crowd initially - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         Big apps - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             yep, my favorite quote around here is - (boxley)
                     Damn near every job ad I see - (lincoln) - (10)
                         Talk to this guy - (deSitter) - (9)
                             That's a big 10-4, good buddy! - (lincoln)
                             Shoot me an email - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 Not yet! This isn't art, it's contracting -NT - (deSitter)
                             Email came back rejected this morning - (lincoln) - (5)
                                 Re: Email came back rejected this morning - (deSitter)
                                 Re: Email came back rejected this morning - (deSitter) - (3)
                                     He just called - (lincoln) - (2)
                                         Your icon is unusually apt... - (static) - (1)
                                             Your point is well taken - (lincoln)

I'm very sorry, but I'm not allowed to argue with you unless you've paid.
74 ms