IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why?
-drl
New Because there's no way I could match that answer.
New But that isn't programming
That is knowing a specific environment and its tools very well, knowing what issues people tend to run into, and knowing how to present that information.

The initial knowledge is helpful while programming, but is only one needed skill of many that a programmer has to put together at the same time. The skill at exposition makes me look good, but that's a documentation skill, not directly a programming skill.

Furthermore that particular explanation is a variant on one that I've both seen given, and attempted to give, before. It is much easier to come up with a nice way to say something when already you've tried to say that thing a few times. Even if you don't clearly remember how you said it before, the experience guides you.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New Nice to see a teacher/craftsman in action.
But having the masters around does present the problem that sometimes we don't venture guesses.

It's probably a good thing, though, that I don't post attempts at Perl code. :-)
New A good thing for my spare time you mean?
There is no better way to learn than exposing yourself to constructive criticism. It isn't always the most fun process, but it is effective.

Just be careful about where you place your ego when you try it: [link|http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=270083|http://www.perlmonks...pl?node_id=270083]

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New Why?
-drl
New Jack of all languages...
...master of none.

Remember back in early '92 being told that Perl was the way to go. Trying to get things done in a hurry, I stuck to writing a lot of scripts in sed. My career path might've been much different had I listened back then and took the time. Have played with Perl here and there, but never found the time to really get my head wrapped around it. To this day, Perl seems too much a conglomeration of disparate ideas rather than a cohesive whole.

Perl is dangerous in that it can be easy to do things, but rather harder to master.
     Perl - storing a hash in a file to re-read later - (tuberculosis) - (26)
         Wouldn't it be better to build it as you read? - (drewk) - (2)
             Its not large - its small - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 Perl is line oriented by default - (broomberg)
         This wheel has been invented already :-) - (ben_tilly) - (22)
             <fawn>Wonderful post</fawn> - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 <preen /> -NT - (ben_tilly)
             I am so glad I gave up on tying my programming skills... - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                 Why? -NT - (deSitter) - (6)
                     Because there's no way I could match that answer. -NT - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                         But that isn't programming - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                             Nice to see a teacher/craftsman in action. - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                 A good thing for my spare time you mean? - (ben_tilly)
                                 Why? -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Jack of all languages... - (ChrisR)
             I figured it had - one more quickie question - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                 Error checking remains a best practice - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                     Agree - (tuberculosis) - (9)
                         You lucky duck. - (FuManChu)
                         What do you mean by plists? - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                             I meant NextStep style plists - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                 Do you mean kind of like this? - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                     Pretty close - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                                         Ah - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             One True Data Format - (tuberculosis)
                                 Big River Books - rofl - (deSitter)
                         ICLRPD (new thread) - (Meerkat)

Anything that takes 8 minutes to get from 55 to 65 MPH is a good starter vehicle.
107 ms