IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New SFChron: Microsoft lapdog decries states' "sabotage"
Not that the headline would tip you off or anything...

[link|http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/11/08/ED148465.DTL&type=printable|State AGs sabotaging Microsoft settlement]
IT'S DEJA VU all over again: a handful of state attorneys general, California's Bill Lockyer among them, are attempting to sabotage a settlement of the Microsoft antitrust case. Just why the attorneys general are once more bucking efforts by the Justice Department and nine states to move on is anyone's guess. What is clear enough, though, is that it will not serve anyone's interest -- except perhaps, Microsoft's commercial rivals -- to force this case back into the courts.

A year ago February, Thomas Penfield Jackson, the trial court judge, appointed a distinguished jurist, Judge Richard Posner of the U.S. Court of Appeals in Chicago, to mediate a settlement. With draconian penalties looming, Microsoft accepted demands by the Justice Department that included tough, continuing regulation of the company's marketing tactics. But the hard-line state Attorneys general -- notably those from California, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Iowa -- vetoed the deal, leading the frustrated mediator to point out in public that the "states do not have the resources to do more than free ride on federal antitrust litigation, complicating its resolution."

[...]
Hmm...Microsoft's commercial rivals....wait a minute, isn't that everybody? And that $35 million price tag, compared to what some have given as hundreds of billions of dollars of negative impacts from Microsoft, strikes me as eminently reasonable, and a damned good ROI.

My complaint on the piece: it's clearly Op-Ed, but is not presented as such. I've contacted SFGate editorial staff regarding this.
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
Expand Edited by kmself Nov. 8, 2001, 05:15:34 PM EST
New Saw that in paper
Thought it was worth conjuring a reply, when the sarcasm juices were flowing (kick a metaphorical puppy first..) I wonder if there are many locals - apt not to see through this transparent Hi-RPM spin?

Agree it ought to be Op-Ed and now: they should provide space for a rebuttal. Glad to write anyone in particular there, seconding your nomination :-\ufffd

Any idea which Astroturf handler manages Pacific Research Institute ?

&($*#^% brain-dead press...
A.
New Sally's last paragraph shows her ignorance.
She thinks Microsoft is a better innovator than litigator. I disagree. Microsoft is a MARKETING firm that takes competitor's innovations and uses litigation (and their current abusive monopoly) to beat them over the head.

I wish Sally would tell us what innovations Microsoft has come up with? MSBob, perhaps?!

She is obviously pro-monopoly and fails to understand anti-trust laws and the reasons they are enforced.
New Maybe she's bucking for a DoJ position
[link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=17383|Given Silverlock's post], perhaps she's looking for a new job?
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
     SFChron: Microsoft lapdog decries states' "sabotage" - (kmself) - (3)
         Saw that in paper - (Ashton)
         Sally's last paragraph shows her ignorance. - (brettj) - (1)
             Maybe she's bucking for a DoJ position - (jb4)

I heartily endorse this event or product!
38 ms