IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What was that?!
I just got some IIS error messages while navigating fora here? Whazzup?
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New NYT - Microsoft to acquire IWETHEY
Associated Press - In a startling announcement today, Microsoft announced that they agreed to purchase IWETHEY, a noted group of pundits and visionaries, for the amount of $5, after a secret deal was pushed through by the owner of the trademark, one Thane Walkup.

"I believe that these two groups are a natural complement for each other" said Mr. Walkup. "Microsoft's innovation has declined a bit in recent years, and I felt that some fresh blood was needed. IWETHEY is the perfect group to get them turned around."

Most of the staff of IWETHEY would not agree to be interviewed, but a Mr. Conrad was willing to say, "That fucking pig abortion! I fucking knew we shouldn't have trusted that shit-eating pus-leaking zit on a camel's penis!"

MSFT is up 23 points on the news.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Expand Edited by inthane-chan Nov. 8, 2001, 02:00:21 PM EST
New LOL
*choke*

must... refill... coffee... and... change... shirt...

:)
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New CHOKE!! LOL
With a statement like that...I nominate CRC as official spokesman for IWETHEY! :-)
New Seconded
I also move that our official motto be:

"What the FUCKING FUCK?!?!?!?!"
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New I expect some royalties on the name ;)
---------------------------------
A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas;...despair and time eat away the bonds of iron and steel, but they are powerless against the habitual union of ideas, they can only tighten it still more; and on the soft fibres of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires."

Jacques Servan, 1767
New +5, Cleverness.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Spewing over here....
it's been a *really* crappy day -- thanks for making me laugh!!! :)
New :[
Hi Mags,

Sorry to hear.. it's looking as if lots o' those bizness typhoons are retrenching, gettin rid of those liabilities: people er employees - and maybe installing bigger iron gates at the estate.

(I guess it's just their way of displaying that er confidence thing - which they exhort the rest of us to display by buying even more stuff. No, it's not supposed to make sense)

Hope you're onto something lateral.. down there.

Hmm: maybe - go around to local places pondering biting that New M$ Licensing cyanide bullet: with a working setup on laptop, doin the basic things for free? (Bring copy of the New Licensing Rules + a 16x20 poster of Billy smarling.)

(Nahh not the big macho Corps - small-medium? local folk)

Just a thought.

Remember when that fortune-teller escaped the Monterey jail?
And the headline was -
Small Medium at Large !

Cheers,

Ashton
New Don't let it bring ya' down....
Ash, liked the 'small medium at large'.....slugbug jr laughed at that.

I'm tryin' to keep it positive and upbeat....just been a rough week.
And, I'm sick to death of the 'programming of the American people'.

However, a long walk on the beach offsets all this rather nicely....

Tuning out, dropping in..
-Slug
New BTW don't lose contact
Hope you and Jr wind up doing well.

Hope she is adjusting well to college.

Hope that (some day) you two will come out here or vice versa...

Cheers,
Ben
New No way...
Not meaning to lose contact....have just been offline a bit more
these days. I'm working toward self-employment by the end of
the year so lots to do. The 'day job' rather sucks right now, too.

As for Jr., she is doing great at college and she's in 'heavy like' too :)

I'll try to get back there to visit, but it likely won't be before spring.
Same goes for y'all.....feel free to come this way anytime. It's foggy
round here, but at least we ain't got no stinkin' snow...heh!

New It's only castles burnin'

--
----------------------------------------------------------
* Jack Troughton jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
* [link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|http://jakesplace.dhs.org]] [link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org]] *
* Montr\ufffdal PQ Canada [link|news://jakesplace.dhs.org|news://jakesplace.dhs.org] *
New Just find someone who's turnin'

--
* [link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|http://jakesplace.dhs.org|http://jakesplace.dhs.org]] [link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|[link|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org|ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org]] *
* Montr\ufffdal PQ Canada [link|news://jakesplace.dhs.org|news://jakesplace.dhs.org] *
New And you will come around... :)

--
New eggactly! :)
New Glad to be of service... :-)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Expand Edited by inthane-chan Nov. 9, 2001, 11:34:00 AM EST
New **guffaw**
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New You do realize that
the print version would read:

"That [censored] pig [censored]! I [censored] knew we shouldn't have trusted that [censored]-eating [censored]-leaking zit on a camel's [censored]!"
New What the h*ll was that?
They are not very consistent:

"<mow> please! say ure kidding
<Wasim> [censored] bill clinton
<mow> yeh fucking bill clinton"

The censorer is an airline baggage inspector
no doubt.

Hey, a CRC chatbot! I'd pay up
to $8 for such, maybe even $9.

New Yah...
This...

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.
Open the z.iwethey.org home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Back button to try another link.

HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

More information:
Microsoft Support

[link|http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?mode_u=off&mode_w=on&site=z.iwethey.org|Someone's having fun with the 404 page] *grin*

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New I have no idea where that's coming from.
As you pointed out, z.iwethey.org is Zope (proxied through Apache, actually).

I haven't fiddled with the 404 page, though.
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Then since it's not just me getting it ...
It seems there is someone upstream from you having problems. I checked what I could on the page and couldn't find anything that didn't point to either iwethey.org or microsoft.com. Wish I could be more helpful.

BTW: I get the 404 occasionally, but after a few reloads I get the page. Has all the symptoms of someone upstream from you having router issues.
We have to fight the terrorists as if there were no rules and preserve our open society as if there were no terrorists. -- [link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/04/05/opinion/BIO-FRIEDMAN.html|Thomas Friedman]
New I always ping z.iwethey.org for connect probs
tshirt front "born to die before I get old"
thshirt back "fscked another one didnja?"
New IP stealing?
I've been having connection problems also to II, but the IP address stays correct. Could this be another box (running NT) at the co-lo accidentally trying to steal the IP address?

Wade.

New Unlikely
Far more likely is a horked round-robin DNS server at the colo.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New IP stealing?
I've been having connection problems also to II, but the IP address stays correct. Could this be another box (running NT) at the co-lo accidentally trying to steal the IP address?

Wade.

New No, it's definately not just you
Just ran into the problem myself tonight. Took about 5-8 reloads to get the right page to show up.

Most unnerving.....
New II was going weird this afternoon, too.
No idea if it's related or not though. Was thrown off it a few times around 3pm this afternoon (Aus Eastern Standard Daylight Savings Time) Or, like, about four and half hours ago from now. Still, was able to log back inn each time after waiting a few minutes.

On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Happened just this morning here
Here = Northwest suburbs of Chicago. got same message, too. But we're behind a corporate firewall that is definately IIS. Could that be the cause?
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Physicians; heal selves.
How would one trap this page (as in: ID its actual server and go from there) ?

I know what a packet sniffer does - youse guys know how to use one to some effect. Right? (I mean of course.. if this &*$%* continues to get worse - where it appears to be heading..)

Maybe the poor dear has his IIS installed just like Billy says: insert the CD and We'll Take Care of Everything; don' need all that geek BS about knowin stuff..

:-)
New wouldnt help here is a clue
last night had trouble connecting, so fired up a dos prompt and did
ping -t z.iwethey.org
found a minute or two of time outs then a few very large ttl (time to live) then a solid connection, left ping running and went back to browsing, timed out again then cacked again. Peter is prolly right horked round robin router.
thanx,
bill
New Re: wouldnt help here is a clue
Would that be something like ~ a typo, two ports w/ same address (or a mask with wrong range) so that randomly a packet queries this (wrong) server -- and we wouldn't see the traffic from outside - to examine?

(Just wondering what sort of BS youse guys have to put up with normal homo-sap errors.) I inferred somewhere that - changing a router address in an operating network needs careful restraint and coordination - er 'propagating' and such..

Izzat (maybe) it? like newbies fakin-it, not knowin WTF happened: "must be a protocol error.." (The MDs' version when they don't know shit: "you have non-specific proctitis" ;-)

Gosh.. IP-addressing must be the same as when we first heard 'you have to take Algebra next year!' (and the old smug hands say.. 'yeah.. that's a Killer').

A.
New router round robin
1 ip address several ports listening each taking turns.
1 packet goes to port 1
1 to port 2
1 to port 3 etc.
then back to port1
if you get a new packet the port that gets the first packet will handle the rest of the conversation.

Now say the cable on port 3 is cacked. The router will still send packets to that port as part of the round robin. That would generate odd timeouts of a ip address like I saw.
thanx,
bill
New Ah.. I see. Thanx
New Ah.. HAHHhh !! And here I was about to
Dismantle the Pee Cee, radiate all parts with 400 RADS of gammas, fumigate and reload - thinking that my virginal sys had been raped by some scurvy part of IE (even though neither IE nor IIS are even on disk -- but IE *would* lie anyway).

I saved copy of the 404 in Suggestions forum.
How could this atrocity happen?
Where have we sinned?

Ackkkkk Pffffffffffffffffffttt
New Update!
Well, it took a little wrestling with my ISP partner (whom is a MS guy), but I finally got him to agree that it's a routing issue and not my linux box (which he's apt to blame, most of the time).

We're going to reboot our router this morning and force a rebuild of the routing tables, and if that doesn't help, we go up the chain.

So, just so you guys know, we're on the issue. And, I hope to have us back to 100% soon!

I'll let you know something as soon as I know something, as always.

-Jason
----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
New Re: Update!
Typical. I'm sure he's used to Windows boxen just up and changing something on their own, so he expects that Linux does the same. ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson
New Re: Update!
If you guys have the IIS issue again (which I've witnessed, myself, a few times now and shown my partner), please immediately go to [link|http://z.iwethey.org/a.html|http://z.iwethey.org/a.html] -- we've setup a default page on all of our IIS servers with their respective server name on the page. This will help us track down if it's a case with DHCP or something else silly like that.

Just post the server name if you catch it. Thanks!

-Jason
----

New Just curious
How would a horked Linux box end up serving me a distinctly IIS 404 page? BTW for Peter: is "horked" an NT/2000 term? I'm not familiar with that one.
New Horked == FUBAR
Not just for Win** flavors, either.
New It wouldn't.
But, it took a good beating to get my partner to understand that.

Everything appears to be better. I haven't had any issues, yet. *cross my fingers*

-Jason
----

What was that?! - (drewk) - (43)
         NYT - Microsoft to acquire IWETHEY - (inthane-chan) - (20)
             LOL - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                 CHOKE!! LOL - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                     Seconded - (cwbrenn)
             I expect some royalties on the name ;) -NT - (tseliot)
             +5, Cleverness. -NT - (static)
             Spewing over here.... - (slugbug) - (9)
                 :[ - (Ashton) - (7)
                     Don't let it bring ya' down.... - (slugbug) - (6)
                         BTW don't lose contact - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             No way... - (slugbug)
                         It's only castles burnin' -NT - (jake123) - (3)
                             Just find someone who's turnin' -NT - (jake123) - (2)
                                 And you will come around... :) -NT - (jake123) - (1)
                                     eggactly! :) -NT - (slugbug)
                 Glad to be of service... :-) -NT - (inthane-chan)
             **guffaw** -NT - (jb4)
             You do realize that - (tablizer) - (3)
                 Don't tell me that you've been reading... - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                     What the h*ll was that? - (tablizer) - (1)
                         You missed the point, boyo. - (inthane-chan)
         Yah... - (imric) - (14)
             I have no idea where that's coming from. - (admin) - (13)
                 Then since it's not just me getting it ... - (drewk) - (7)
                     I always ping z.iwethey.org for connect probs -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                         IP stealing? - (static) - (1)
                             Unlikely - (pwhysall)
                         IP stealing? - (static)
                     No, it's definately not just you - (n3jja) - (2)
                         II was going weird this afternoon, too. - (Meerkat)
                         Happened just this morning here - (jb4)
                 Physicians; heal selves. - (Ashton) - (4)
                     wouldnt help here is a clue - (boxley) - (3)
                         Re: wouldnt help here is a clue - (Ashton) - (2)
                             router round robin - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Ah.. I see. Thanx -NT - (Ashton)
         Ah.. HAHHhh !! And here I was about to - (Ashton)
         Update! - (jlalexander) - (5)
             Re: Update! - (admin)
             Re: Update! - (jlalexander)
             Just curious - (drewk) - (2)
                 Horked == FUBAR - (inthane-chan)
                 It wouldn't. - (jlalexander)

Those are German nouns, so they must always be capitalized.
664 ms