IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Will Win2000 still be available?
Or will kill licenses or support for it to force new installations to use XP?
Ray
New AFAIK...
...and I'm not a licensing genius, so don't quote me on this - do your own research first - the corporate license for WinXP allows the corporation to substitute Win2k on the system.

Although I'm sure Micros~1 will consider that to be an "XP system" for statistical purposes.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New No, they'll count it twice: 1x as XP, 1x as W2K
New You can still get Win95.
E.g. [link|http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=90&manufactory=1149|NewEgg.com]. They list 95, 98SE, ME, 2K, XPHome, XPPro, but not e.g. NT4.

I'd imagine it'll be a while before MS eliminates these options.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: You can still get Win95.
I recently upgraded my home Win95 box to Win2000 primarily because I was finding patches and upgrades weren't forth coming and I was noticing that an increasing amount of hardware and software requires Win98 or above. AFAIK, the newest MS media players (IE too? IE is practically an OS after all) won't run on Win95 so MS is indirectly coercing people into upgrading.

At least my upgrade was a definite improvement. I'm just worried that when IE 7 or the next version of Office comes out, it will only run on XP and I'll be forced to upgrade.
Ray
New I'm sure you realize that's the plan. As always...
     Has MS overdone it with XP - article 'No XP for thee' IWE - (dmarker2) - (9)
         Direct IWE link. - (static) - (8)
             XP=xhack pughk not that this ver of windows is not - (boxley) - (7)
                 Not really. - (inthane-chan) - (6)
                     Will Win2000 still be available? - (rsf) - (5)
                         AFAIK... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                             No, they'll count it twice: 1x as XP, 1x as W2K -NT - (tonytib)
                         You can still get Win95. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Re: You can still get Win95. - (rsf) - (1)
                                 I'm sure you realize that's the plan. As always... -NT - (Another Scott)

(This message was left blank.)
142 ms