IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Intellij vs Eclipse
We have been using Intellij where I work and everyone is very happy. However, we are now switching to StarTeam and Intellij has lousy integration with StarTeam. For this and other reasons there is talk about switching to Eclipse. Has anyone used both? I have found that while Intellij still doesn't reach the level of Smalltalk IDE's from the mid 1990's, it is by far the best Java IDE that I have used. I downloaded Eclipse and started playing with it, it seems much more complicated then Intellij, and even worse it seems to force the developer to adapt to it. Basically I want to understand if this is an issue that we need to really fight for, or it is not a big deal to switch to Eclipse.
New I'd have thought JBuilder is best for StarTeam integration?
Seeing as how they're made by the same company, and all, I mean.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Maybe but JBuilder isn't in the running
The Enterprise version costs a lot of money. From what I understand BBorland wrote the Eclispe Starteam plugin so it works well.
New Hey, I'm still trying to get the C++ IDE plugin to work...
...and that was written by the Eclipse team! Pedigree is no promise of performance.

(Although I, too, would rather bet on a Borland product...)
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Just as well - its crap
Really crap. Was forced to try to work with it at cheap bastards and after about a week I downloaded IDEA and used my own personal license to do my work.

Among other things - it couldn't manage decent indenting - indenting was sort of random and not at all pretty (or logical).

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 05:42:59 AM EDT
New Never used IntelliJ...
...But I have tried Eclipse, and we use StarTeam here at work.

First, I don't use Windows, so my experience is purely on the Linux side of things.

I have tried Eclipse. I find it not as flexible as NetBeans. I can't get as many different colorations as NB provides me. I can't break it up into multiple different screen-sections that are all separately moveable, like NB. I can't change the goddamn HUGE-ASS font that is the file-list pane. It just feels....awkward.

So I've gone back to using NetBeans. And I'm really looking forward to the NB4.0 release that should be happening any...month...now.

As far as ST goes, I don't have any kind of ST IDE integration. I do like the ST environment, however. Having CRs (bugs, change requests, whatever you want to call them) in the same environment as your source files is a powerful idiom. When you check in files, you can link them to the CR that they address. So then, if you want to go back and look at the files that were affected by that CR, voilá! It's right there! (NOTE: This takes some developer discipline, which doesn't seem to be in abundance here...)

Sorry I can't help you out WRT IntelliJ, but HTH...
-YendorMike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Intellij
I use IntelliJ - it makes Java bearable and is the king of the J-IDEs.

I have downloaded Eclipse at least a half dozen times and each time I've found it to be an incomprehensible collection of random controls. IOW, I just don't get where it is coming from and haven't found any decent documentation anywhere to help me understand its mindset. My conclusion - its crap designed by the same people who do UI for MS.

Have you checked out all of the plugins for IntelliJ? There may be one that adds nicer starteam integration.

Frankly, I'd question the utility of starteam if it required the loss of IntelliJ - I'd consider it to be a net loss.

That was lovely cheese.

--Wallace, The Wrong Trousers
New Agree about Intellij
It is the best Java IDE available. The only plugin available for Starteam is from Jetbrains and seems to have minimal functionality and only supports 5.x not 6.0. Unfortunately, the StarTeam decision is a corporate wide one and not changing. It looks like, worst comes to worst we will use Intellij with the JetBrains plugin or the Starteam client itself.
New Bloat comparison of Eclipse and VisualWorks
[link|http://www.amber.org/~petrilli/archive/2004/09/14/a_matter_of_size.html|A matter of size].
     Intellij vs Eclipse - (bluke) - (8)
         I'd have thought JBuilder is best for StarTeam integration? - (CRConrad) - (3)
             Maybe but JBuilder isn't in the running - (bluke) - (2)
                 Hey, I'm still trying to get the C++ IDE plugin to work... - (jb4)
                 Just as well - its crap - (tuberculosis)
         Never used IntelliJ... - (Yendor)
         Intellij - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Agree about Intellij - (bluke)
             Bloat comparison of Eclipse and VisualWorks - (ChrisR)

You're never too old to say "horses" when you drive past some horses.
50 ms