IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes, but under limitations and being monitored
The limitations being that they need a program like Net Nanny or Cybersitter or whatever (Proxy Server) to prevent them from going to web sites that they shouldn't get into. Also policies need to be set on the system so that they cannot add or remove software or mess up the hardware configuration. I've seen so many teens and pre-teens futz with the systems to the point that they are unworkable.

In any case, monitor the child, if they are drawn into the computer too much, they need to take a break. I limit my son to 15 or 30 minutes of computer time a day, but that is because he is under 3 years old and needs to do other stuff. His system is currently broken, and as soon as I get the replacement parts to fix it, he will be back up. No Internet access for him, just the Pre-School and Toddler games on CD.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Sounds like a good start..
But it will become harder.. to fight with a growing ego which Knows what it Wants.

Believe Kuala Lumpur is likely being simplistic, but savvy nonetheless - as computers are a time sponge, a massive excuse -- not to begin and stay with.. all that icky stuff we need to pick up and later call "becoming civilized" - these machines Are the Enemy via unceasing distraction-from, real life. IMhO.

Already the idea that "links are Proves" (thanks M. Merlin) has suffused throughout. The idea that "learning" is accumulating Facts er links, etc.. The idea that (most topics?) Can be resolved via a simple Boolean comparison..

These are just some of the pitfalls I see, should the next babysitter for working parents become: education by random net-surfing and (especially!) education by Advertainment - like TeeVee One already in the schools. Make a consumer out of a 4 year old? We Have.

Talk about 3-edged swords! Of course! there IS the good stuff. But young kids know only STUFF and 'good' is what everybody else is doing. Baa Baa Remember? the bell-bottoms, the tattoos..

Sure glad I don't have to map out a path through this minefield, re a 3-year old in 2001. 'Course it's OK to read him Wizard of Oz - but just substitute Billy n'Bally for the Wicked Witch of the West or East. Tit for tat - teach awareness of propaganda by using it, I say.

A.
Hey this kid will need Help. Better stick around or, as Zappa always said, S/He'll grow up to be just like his parents..
New Agree, but disagree
I *might* agree to use of NetNanny or similar if they published the sites they blocked. They don't. You don't know what the hell they are blocking or enabling. Screw them. Sorry. Great idea. I won't ever agree to use schemes implemented by collective corporate assholes. Someday, maybe.

OK, first line of defense. With any minor living with you (children, adoptees, neighbor's children), set the guidelines. In the case of those you are a guardian, and even visitors, this means no computer in the bedroom. The computer must be in a public place where, even if your teen is playing Quake or Everquest or whatever, it isn't a private playing.

I had some other stuff I was writing, but then I realized how amusing it was for me to deliver child care advice and decied to close it down. Feel free to deliver a virtual slap.

French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
     Should kids under 13 be allowed to use computers? - (brettj) - (45)
         Yes, but under limitations and being monitored - (orion) - (2)
             Sounds like a good start.. - (Ashton)
             Agree, but disagree - (wharris2)
         No. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
             Amen. - (Ashton)
             Yes. - (admin) - (1)
                 Fortunately.. always there will be the Exception(al). -NT - (Ashton)
             100% agree - (boxley)
             Should kids under 13 be allowed to read books? - (tseliot) - (20)
                 Several old authors agree - (mhuber) - (19)
                     You mean? - (Ashton) - (17)
                         Only if you read them - (mhuber) - (16)
                             Post of the Day! Congratulations!!! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Incidently, another had similar thoughts. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Silverstein! - (mhuber)
                             Bravo! - (Arkadiy) - (9)
                                 when you consider the attitudes of the correspondents - (boxley)
                                 Agreement, but question - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                     Definition of epic proportions: - (mhuber)
                                     Certainly not lots of bloodshed - (wharris2) - (5)
                                         sgt york? Rather tame by what actually happened. - (boxley) - (3)
                                             Wouldn't be beleivable. - (mhuber) - (2)
                                                 Here's the story - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                     No idea he had kept a diary - thanks. - (Ashton)
                                         "Tunes of Glory", "All Quiet on the Western Front" -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                             Homer translations - (GBert) - (2)
                                 Thanks - (mhuber) - (1)
                                     You're welcome -- enjoy! --!msg -NT - (GBert)
                     Clarification: - (mhuber)
         As opposed to what? - (mhuber) - (2)
             Well.. OK if ya want to be reasonable - (Ashton)
             Heh... - (CRConrad)
         Sure - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             Kids links such as Linkasaurus - (brettj)
         How I'll handle my kids. - (inthane-chan) - (10)
             ..better encrypt, hide, mirror that log, then ;-) - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Simple: Router in a locked cabinet along with... - (inthane-chan)
             Sounds like the Cyber-Cafe method - (orion) - (7)
                 OhRyan: er.. they *need* a Big Brother.________Remember? -NT - (Ashton) - (6)
                     Who "they" *needs* a BB - each'n'every guest at Cybercafe's? -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                         Original topic was - (Ashton) - (4)
                             Ah, OK. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                 Whether siderial or interruptus - BB was dissed - (Ashton) - (2)
                                     By Norm? Not "dissed" - just *mentioned*, AFAICS. Now, if... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         It sounds like "Big Brother" - (orion)

Too busy performing brain surgery on sick children to respond, sorry.
132 ms