IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes
This is Windows.

I NEVER want to be responsible for the care and feeding of this box. We have a Windows admin who will be responsible for it. He has experience with a commercial SSH server environment. I would prefer to use something he is comfortable with.

If I use Cygwin, it will probably work. But I have very little experience with Cygwin and it seems everytime I tried to play with anything that required launching on box boot and acting in the pre-login environment things were odd. I'm fudding right now since I don't really remember, I just know I stumbled around a lot.

So if I set it up, and 2 months from now I'm working on another project, who will troubleshoot it if there is a problem? And note: A problem on this box means 45 people and 15 BIG printers will be sitting idle.

So, I want to minimize anything that will require me being yanked in. Let the admin handle it. Which means using something he is comfortable with.
New Agreed.
The SSH Tectia server is a whole lot more fire-and-forget than the chewing-gum-and-gaffer-tape assembly of Cygwin.

If you want to be taken seriously deploying UNIXy type things on Windows, don't use Cygwin.

The discussion of Windows as a suitable platform can take place elsewhere; sometimes there isn't a choice.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
     MS Telnet server - (broomberg) - (26)
         What is your TERM set as? - (folkert) - (25)
             what greg said or ansi -NT - (boxley)
             Doesn't matter - (broomberg) - (23)
                 Doesn't cygwin include a telnet server? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                     I use sshd from cygwin -NT - (Arkadiy)
                     Probably. - (broomberg) - (16)
                         So you paid money to avoid putting free stuff on? - (ben_tilly) - (15)
                             Yes - (broomberg) - (1)
                                 Agreed. - (pwhysall)
                             Nope, I was wrong about the ssh server - (broomberg) - (12)
                                 No comment -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                     WinSSHD - (broomberg)
                                 Should also ask what *X* server you put on Windows... - (folkert) - (9)
                                     Probably none. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                         RightyO - (broomberg) - (7)
                                             Boggle.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                                                 Yup. No Windows. - (broomberg) - (3)
                                                     Wow.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                         Part of it's age - (jake123) - (1)
                                                             Makes sense; newbies get the full brunt, then. -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 I assume you meant these - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                     It might seem so - but: - (Ashton)
                 Putty est votre ami - (deSitter) - (3)
                     Huh? - (broomberg) - (2)
                         Re: Huh? - (deSitter) - (1)
                             Slow has nothing to do with it - (broomberg)

DIRE WOOFS! DIRE WOOFS, YOU ASWIPES!
71 ms