IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The costs of ERP
Having seen first hand Haliburton blow $500 million on SAP in two years, I've often wondered whether ERP systems ever provide a true ROI. HP also lost [link|http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/erp/story/0,10801,95223,00.html?f=x10|a chunk of change] in their conversion efforts.

Oh well, ERP helps the PHB's at the top know exactly how many hats they have in inventory.
New Done right they are very good and provide good return
But I've seen very very VERY few implementations done right.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Then stop helping them out!!!!
I mean, come on... you've seen SOOO many.

Well, I have to admit, I have seen and read and heard about so many failures, you begin to wonder if it really *IS* worth it.

I have seen two really successful implementations of ERP systems.

1) GRCC using Peoplesoft, with a Wonderfully Terrific DBA, that understood HOW Oracle really worked. A Data-Manager who really understood the whole data picture, 4 programmers that really knew their poop... All 4 had come from OLD VMS, switched to new epoch *NIX and now onto mixed environment including AIX, Linux, Windows, Netware, Solaris and a myriad of "VM" machines for compute nodes. And last, a set of 3 System and Network Analysts that really could be counted on to snatch projects away from defeat due to bad installation guidelines shipped from the Myriad Vendors, mistakes by said vendors and so on...

2) The company (JWI) decided to implement the modules as they needed to. If anything needed updating, it went on the new system, they developed a bridge setup to miror all the needed data for the old system to still make reports. But they forced everyone to do all input and mainteance on the new system. Any change(enhancement or simplifing) to any report was mandated on the new system. Within 2 years they were on the New System with Zero problems during that cutover. Believe it or not they still have to old system up and running but in a virtual machine and read only... with current data. Paid to have it modified to work with the new data. There are a couple of terminals out in the wharehouse that really only need "lookup" capacity. Since the old system is running and booting from CD... eh.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
No matter how much Microsoft supporters whine about how Linux and other operating systems have just as many bugs as their operating systems do, the bottom line is that the serious, gut-wrenching problems happen on Windows, not on Linux, not on Mac OS. -- [link|http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1622086,00.asp|source]
Here is an example: [link|http://www.greymagic.com/security/advisories/gm001-ie/|Executing arbitrary commands without Active Scripting or ActiveX when using Windows]
New Siemens seemed to work
but it needed serious flogging of contractors by those concerned with accurate accounting
thanx.
bill
"delayed incessantly by people whose prevalent qualification was an excess of free-time" Philip Atkinson
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New More than a few dozen.
Not 24/7/365...but I've done alot of intercompany benchmarking of integrated systems for supply chain..which covers quite a bit of ERP territory.

When implemented correctly, ERP systems (SAP mostly in my experience) allowed some very good business practices to be developed and made moving to the connected world very simple for these companies. The leading implementations in the chem industry that I saw all went very early into web enabled jit inventory and purchasing systems, allowed these companies to offer creative solutions to customers such as managed inventory (vmi)...high quality stuff.

I also saw my company's implementation of SAP fail miserably to produce an adequate roi on the nearly 60 million invested.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I agree without knowing why
-drl
New Guess what we're using for the new HR/Payroll...
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
     The costs of ERP - (ChrisR) - (6)
         Done right they are very good and provide good return - (bepatient) - (4)
             Then stop helping them out!!!! - (folkert) - (3)
                 Siemens seemed to work - (boxley)
                 More than a few dozen. - (bepatient)
                 I agree without knowing why -NT - (deSitter)
         Guess what we're using for the new HR/Payroll... -NT - (jbrabeck)

He’s negotiating with himself, and he’s losing.
46 ms