IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OK, you're excused.
It is, after all unfair to lump you two into the same comingled brain-pan {ugh}
As to
I did no such thing, Ashton, all I did was break the combined argument into two question, because they are inherently different.

Most people agree with me here that it was wrong to invade Iraq on the premise that Bush gave us.

Most people also agree with me here that Saddam was a bad evil man, and the people of his country are better off without him.

I never at any point justified Bush's invasion.

Of course, selecting these two of a myriad of Questions.. is as arbitrary as any other simple assessment always is. I doubt there is any consensus 'here' that - from moment-to-moment every day since the first death: the people of his country are better off without him.

This proposition could be approached coldly - from the estimation of Saddam-killings/month VS the present tally (then throw in US casualties for an aperitif). Or it could be approached from the guesswork of Religio-schisms: the number of sects within Iraq, each determined to wipe out the other - because Each One is Possessed-by The One True God. These were held in check by Saddam, but now they are free to inflict whatever chaos seems to feed a chance for Winner-Take-All.
(Possibly for another quarter-century?)

Could also plot the $-drain, what that means for limiting future US ability to inflict its in-house political machinations upon the world via invasion-at-will, or our ability next: even to take care of our Own infrastructure and pay off our indebtedness [to many in the world who finance our balance-of-payments annual deficit -- these Expect to be paid their Interest; some may choose to take back their Principle as well. Ugly - that]. Then too: everything we Blew Up we have to Rebuild at *Your* expense and mine. And there are several more angles-of-view one might choose re

US <--> Iraq in 8/04.

So no.. I don't believe there is consensus here (or most places) about the overall tradeoffs \ufffd of this ill-planned, deceptively packaged Neoconman Riot -- which was on the PNAC Things-To-Do list since the early '90s.

Other than these little problems - by all means help vote-out! this bunch of maniacs, while there's still, just-now a reasonable probability of elections being held in the US.

Ashton

PS - it doesn't matter what most think here, of course. Many spouses don't really know which levers their SOs actually pull .. behind that curtain. As it should be, no?
New Glad to clear it up.
And okay, I concur, there may not be a consensus about Iraq being better off without Saddam, but I think most people here believe he was a bad evil man, and shall I edit that to say that many people here probably think Iraq is better off without him.

And I'm sure we probably ALL agree that all the lives lost there by Americans and others, was more or less senseless and unneccessary, as well as sad.

PS - it doesn't matter what most think here, of course. Many spouses don't really know which levers their SOs actually pull .. behind that curtain. As it should be, no?

I agree, I only have made my position on Bush clear because it came about in other posts before now. I've learned not to let what other people think bug me all that much for the most part. :)

Have a good day, Ashton!

Nightowl >8#

"A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop." -- Robert Hughes, Australian Art Critic, Writer
     Chicago "Oklahoma City" type plot thwarted! - (Nightowl) - (84)
         Re: Chicago "Oklahoma City" type plot thwarted! - (deSitter) - (83)
             Virgin . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Sorry, must disagree - (Nightowl) - (81)
                 so Bush is a terrorist? -NT - (boxley) - (78)
                     Yep. Unprovoked attacks on another nation. -NT - (jbrabeck) - (47)
                         Sure why not? - (orion) - (46)
                             3 million? - (pwhysall) - (40)
                                 From Iraqi immigrants - (orion) - (39)
                                     That's close to 15% of the population -NT - (deSitter)
                                     No such thing as an unbiased source, Norman. - (pwhysall) - (37)
                                         Even if the numbers are wrong - (orion) - (36)
                                             Yes we should - (lincoln) - (5)
                                                 I think the problem here - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                     So N. Korea is justified in attacking the USA? - (lincoln) - (3)
                                                         we have been at war with them since 1950's - (boxley) - (2)
                                                             Technically that was not a war on our side -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                 OTOH, isn't signing a truce=retroactively declaring war? :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
                                             The problem with that reasoning... - (pwhysall) - (17)
                                                 I agree, but the USA is remarkably incompetent about it - (ben_tilly)
                                                 Zimbabwe cannot be invaded by us, the UK screwed that pooch - (boxley)
                                                 Very well so - (orion) - (14)
                                                     Wrong Answer - (jbrabeck) - (12)
                                                         Right answer - (orion) - (11)
                                                             Lifted 700 Club slogans do not a Statesman make. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                 Yet you error again - (orion) - (1)
                                                                     So why, then,... - (jb4)
                                                             Responsibility? - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                                                                 Yeah sure - (orion) - (4)
                                                                     Norm, you wouldn't last an hour. - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                                         All I know about war I learned in comic books... -NT - (admin)
                                                                     And that makes Iraq different from Saudi Arabia how? - (inthane-chan)
                                                                     So volunteer already. - (Silverlock)
                                                             I've forgotten more about war than you've ever known. - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                                 Did you really get a beer ration? :) -NT - (deSitter)
                                                     What is the sound of a clue-by-4 hitting Norm's brain? - (jb4)
                                             OK, so what about Idi Amin? Pol Pot? Etc. etc.? - (jb4) - (11)
                                                 Learn how the system works - (orion) - (6)
                                                     Now THAT's Precious! (new thread) - (Ashton)
                                                     ** SHUN ** -NT - (jb4)
                                                     That was stupid when you said it before - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                                         Your response was invalid back then - (orion) - (2)
                                                             A Masterpiece of purest digital-'think'__!!__For posterity. - (Ashton)
                                                             And this is pointless - (ben_tilly)
                                                 None of them had a - (bepatient) - (3)
                                                     None of them had much [oil] either -NT - (jb4) - (2)
                                                         Riiight. -NT - (bepatient)
                                                         or had been mean to Dad? -NT - (Ashton)
                             A war fought on false pretenses ... - (jb4) - (4)
                                 It's like saying that a rape is justified... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                     OT on rape seattle and children (new thread) - (boxley)
                                 The right war for the wrong reasons - (orion) - (1)
                                     Are you THAT fucking stoopud, Norm! (new thread) - (jb4)
                     Well... - (Nightowl) - (29)
                         In no way - (boxley) - (28)
                             Let me clarify - (Nightowl) - (26)
                                 well that makes you a terrorist as well - (boxley) - (25)
                                     That's why opinion - (Nightowl)
                                     What does that make Kerry? - (orion) - (22)
                                         Re: What does that make Kerry? - (xtensive) - (21)
                                             This is the same as the suicide bomers - (orion) - (20)
                                                 Loaded question, with a bad answer - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                     Well, I rather relish a French Liberation force! - (jb4)
                                                 Yes, it seems that you are fools - (Ashton) - (17)
                                                     Sorry, already planning to vote - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                         OK, you're excused. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                             Glad to clear it up. - (Nightowl)
                                                     I will still vote - (orion) - (13)
                                                         When brooks babble.. it's music. When you babble, it snot -NT - (Ashton)
                                                         Been listening to Rush again, I see... - (jb4) - (11)
                                                             I don't listen to Rush - (orion) - (10)
                                                                 No one here hates you, Norm - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                                     Ah but you do - (orion) - (1)
                                                                         Hated? - (Silverlock)
                                                                 "Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner" - (jb4) - (6)
                                                                     Only if you believe in it - (orion) - (5)
                                                                         What I believe doesn't mean sh*t to a tree - (jb4) - (4)
                                                                             Why, that's "Eskimo Blue Day"! - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                                                 what! no blue cheer? King Crimson? - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                                     Just checked with Ernie - (rcareaga)
                                                                                 Re: Why, that's "Eskimo Blue Day"! - (jb4)
                                     Kerry and Bush are both terrorists - (Arkadiy)
                             No more quips on Boxlish from moi.. - (Ashton)
                 No - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Agree with your definition except /politician/republican -NT - (boxley)

I bellied up to the sandbar, and he poured me the usual: Rusty Snail, hold the grunion, shaken, not stirred. With a peanut butter and jellyfish sandwich on the side - heavy on the mako.
228 ms