IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Actually, there were Christians before Christ.
Remember, that's properly "The Christ". There were sects in Israel/Palestine/WhateverHaveYou well before the (totally unproven) birth of "Jesus The Christ" who described themselves as "Christians".

This was a time of tremendous social and religious termoil and the religion that became Christianity was a past-up of various ideas that were going around at the tiem.

There is no actual evidence of a historical Jesus in any way that hasn't been shown to be a forgery. Roman historians who railed against the Christians do not mention this Jesus person at all. The Jesus story seems not to appear until around 100 years after the "the birth of Christ".

For certain the dates don't make sense because Roman tax time was logically in the spring, as it still is today, and there is no record of any need to travel to ones birthplace "to be counted", or, in fact, of any count at all (and examination of the court records of Pontius Pilate showed no evidence of the crusifixion).

This does not in any way invalidate the religion or its teachings. In the custom of the time the actual existance of Jesus as a living person would have been completely irrelevant. Remember, these were Pagan times, and gods and godesses were not actual (and not worshiped), they were personifications of natural and social forces, personifications that allowed relationships between forces to be stated in human terms understandable to people without formal education.

Therefore the actual historical existance of Jesus "The Christ" is entirely irrelevant. Worrying about this is an artifact of our current literally minded era. It simply doesn't matter.

So yes, there were Christians well before the "birth of 'The Christ'".
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Very curious then
Fasinating...

Then what did the word christ mean? Do you know where it came from or who derived its meaning?

Nightowl >8#

Note to self: Find new signature soon.
New The Buddha
The enlightened one, he who shows the way. Osirus, Krishna, Buddha, Christ, all the same and many more.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Speaking literally
Speaking literally Jesus Christ is very likely a title and not a name at all.

Christ comes the Hebrew "meshiach" and means annointed one. It orginally refered to the holy fluids used to mark a king or priest. But it came to mean anybody selected for a high office or chosen by God. This much is widely known among Christians.

What isn't so widely known is that Jesus is also possibly not a real name. Jesus is "yeshua" in the Hebrew, it means "Jehovah saves" or "Jehovah is salvation."

This means that both Jesus Christs first and last names are variations of messiah.

Jay
New Mithris + Zoroaster
-drl
New Another synonym: Avatar
Like all the other Christian-recycled paraphernalia, from crucifixion to Virgin (ie Spiritual) Birth - nada to do with hymens and tiresome Puritan stuff. 'The Christ' is a retread of an ancient appelation, signifying a 'Realized Being'
[One realizing.. the dimensions of the BS pile of daily superstitions].

(Apparently we hear of very few of such - most are said to say, "Aha!" then shut up and just Live; no corp contracts, seminars or soap boxes. How un-meeja of them.)
New Shall we look at Wikipedia?
[link|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ|http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Jesus_Christ]

Christ is a title, not his name. It means the anointed one, or The Messiah. Those who worship or believe that a Messiah may arrive may have used this title before to describe him. So it is possible that people worshiped a Christ, a title given to a man to be called The Messiah. The followers of Jesus used the title of Christ to describe him. IIRC the religion was originally called "The Way".

Be sure to look at all the different views people have of Jesus. Yes Peter is correct in saying Jesus is also known as Isa to the Muslims.

"What's the use of saving life when you see what you do with it?" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

[link|http://www.xormad.com:4096/district268|I am from District 268].
     So quoting the evidence of history is 'bashing'? - (Andrew Grygus) - (29)
         Re: So quoting the evidence of history is 'bashing'? - (Nightowl) - (28)
             Promised myself I'd stay out of this, but ... - (drewk) - (27)
                 Re: Promised myself I'd stay out of this, but ... - (Nightowl) - (18)
                     Do you realize that's why so many people hate Christians? - (drewk) - (15)
                         I didn't say that. - (Nightowl)
                         Thought of something else late last night - (Nightowl) - (13)
                             dont know much about catholics either I see - (boxley) - (12)
                                 Weird - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                     Islam? - (hnick) - (3)
                                         Jesus == Isa. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             Isa what? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 Miracle worker more or less. -NT - (hnick)
                                 Nicene creed is the usual one. - (ChrisR) - (6)
                                     guess which calendar days I go? (Im not Catholic :)) -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                         Permanently stuck on Mardis Gras? - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                             both times, easter and christmas -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                                 The two longest vigils of the year. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                     I enjoy them both - (boxley)
                                     Or for the New Age Christians - (orion)
                     note on romans, slaves etc - (boxley) - (1)
                         That's what I was thinking - (Nightowl)
                 Actually, there were Christians before Christ. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                     Very curious then - (Nightowl) - (2)
                         The Buddha - (Andrew Grygus)
                         Speaking literally - (JayMehaffey)
                     Mithris + Zoroaster -NT - (deSitter)
                     Another synonym: Avatar - (Ashton)
                     Shall we look at Wikipedia? - (orion)
                 Because they were looking forward to the promise - (FuManChu)

Like a flaming ant farm, only less organized.
59 ms