IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New been meaning to ask this quesition...
..but keep forgetting...

What do the soft tones heard in the passenger cabin of a commercial airliner indicate? Sometimes one hears one tone, sometimes two of slightly different pitch...
-drl
New For those of us with limited hearing...
What soft tones? When flying, I take my hearing aids out and go to sleep. Asleep before the plane is pushed away and wake up when landing.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail ... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
New Re: For those of us with limited hearing...
Remember the old NBC "bong, bong, bong" audio trademark? Like that but clearly electronic.
-drl
New Always thought
it was the 'request service' button above the passenger (for calling the stewardess - or steward). Never noticed the double/single tone thing really, though. Perhaps to distinguish First Class from the commoners?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.

Nothing is as simple as it seems in the beginning,
As hopeless as it seems in the middle,
Or as finished as it seems in the end.

New I could be wrong...
... but I think they sound when the in-cabin indicator lights change. Seatbelts on, etc.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Re: I could be wrong...
True - but from what I can just cogitate together, those lights are automatically triggered by a configuration change, as in preparing to descend for landing. Somehow the tones seem to be associated with achieving or departing a specific altitude and/or flight configuration...
-drl
New Sometimes the seatbelt will go on mid-flight
due to turbulence.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New 10000 ft marker on ascent
As in "it's now safe to turn those laptops on again"
New Interphone system
Airlines are required on all planes seating 20 or more to have a visual and audio interphone system installed. It allows communication between all crew members.

The lights up front next to the microphones and the audio "bells" are all part of this system.

The same "bells" are used for attendent calls, so everyone here is correct to a degree.

2 bells on taxi is for attendents to sit. Same on approach. Also pretty sure that 2 bells means flight status change (climb to cruise, cruise to approach) as well as when seat belt warnings are given, etc...,

I was looking for something to clarify on the web...couldn't come up with anything except the [link|http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part121-319-FAR.shtml|rule requiring their use].
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I think it lets the flight attendents know various things.
Like when it's OK to start beverage service, etc. Dunno for sure though.

Cheers,
Scott.
     been meaning to ask this quesition... - (deSitter) - (9)
         For those of us with limited hearing... - (jbrabeck) - (1)
             Re: For those of us with limited hearing... - (deSitter)
         Always thought - (imric)
         I could be wrong... - (admin) - (4)
             Re: I could be wrong... - (deSitter) - (3)
                 Sometimes the seatbelt will go on mid-flight - (admin)
                 10000 ft marker on ascent - (scoenye)
                 Interphone system - (bepatient)
         I think it lets the flight attendents know various things. - (Another Scott)

Too late, some of us have already taken offense.
48 ms