IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New United Nations: New Technology Can Help Reduce Poverty
One of the things that intrigues me most about Open-Source Software is that it teaches people how to fish. (:

[link|http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/167892.html|
United Nations: New Technology Can Help Reduce Poverty ]

By Dick Kelsey, Newsbytes
NEW YORK, NEW YORK, U.S.A.,
12 Jul 2001, 11:53 AM CST

Public policy is needed to harness new technologies that can be powerful weapons in the fight against poverty, a United Nations report said.
A report by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) published this week says that employment of a wide range of technologies can make a major dent in world poverty.
New Uh uh! Sorry Jack!
The only thing that can reduce poverty is spreading around the wealth to the poorer people. What is the good of giving a poor person a Powerbook or Thinkpad? Are they taking advice from Newt Gingrinch or something? A Powerbook for every homeless person, yeah right, like that would solve the homeless problem?

If anything using new technology will help improve the quality of life, but look at all the poor that the USA has and the technology we already have. Also look at Canada, and the people who live there, or other places that have the same tech the US has (or better) and still have a lot of poor people. Just throwing technology at a problem will not make it go away. You have to find out the root (cause) of the problem and then fix that to make it go away.
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
     United Nations: New Technology Can Help Reduce Poverty - (brettj) - (1)
         Uh uh! Sorry Jack! - (orion)

Ha Ha - just kidding. We're all Lumberjacks and We're OK!
99 ms