IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Now.. That's original!
And it must be near-correct too, since it fits my lexicon close enough. ;-) Nixon's ascent to power, just after all that chaos - and even, after his childish display of distemper on losing the Calif. governorship:

Was the point at which I foresaw (yes, I believe I actually did.. see that one) a 'general decline' / a likely lengthy curtailment of the (mere) possibilities as were ended by the assassinations, especially that of RFK: who surely would have won. And may or may not have fulfilled his promise of appearing to be a genuinely thoughtful Pol. (It was then, that I bought my first pack of cigarettes, too - knowing ~ why.)

Appallingly - I was right. :[ The dumbth, the short attention span, nihilist noise sold as 'music' - all underscore the very much 'we' have all lost in the aftermath of Tricky Dick and then Ronnie, the earnest buffoon with a great stage presence and endless repertoire of folksy meaningless slogans. A perfect match for the emerging replacement of voting Citizens with.. mall Consumers high on maxed-out CCs. Shopping! as re-creation !!
]
Ah well.. nobody promised us a Rose Garden and, stinkweed is hard to eradicate once its roots are set in Pop slogans.

Ashton
in 100 years there will be all new people
or perhaps - just mutated bacteria and cockroaches
New If you're gonna be consistent...
give Clinton the blame for everything from gansta rap to Backstreet Boys, the US popularity of Spice Girls, and such cerebral shows as America's Dumbest Criminal Home Videos.

The Reagan era was a mixed bag. There was Madonna and Human League and all that new age crap, but it was also about the time Kate Bush came into her prime, and there was Stevie Nicks' solo work. And the videos were pretty decent back then. And there was Cheers.

And Seattle grunge happened on Papa Bush's watch. And Suzanne Vega. And the Simpsons.

Come to think of it, there were no sharp transitions here anywhere. It was all fairly gradual. But that Nixon transition was jarring. That was unmistakeable. A drastic drop of level in a matter of a year or two, and then our culture was off the radar.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
Sometimes "tolerance" is just a word for not dealing with things.
New 'Off the radar'
Yes my recollection too: there was a rapid, almost step-descent of 'hope' (that Anything might ever be alterable - never mind peoples' specific agendas).. ie that we were doomed to relive inanity modeled after the bathos of the Tee Vee, mocking us all.

(Short of, nuke from orbit: which had to wait for Aliens ... to achieve formal recognition.)

:[
New You guys had a "culture"? Outside sourdough?!? News to me...
New Actually, the culture was...
...a particularly active batch of sourdough starter that happened to discover simple harmonic motion and electric amplification....
--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
New Paws off our Pop, you.
Kate Bush and the Human League are very British pop stars, dontcha know.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New And another thing
Human League was about the most un-New Age band ever.

Still, you think Stevie Nicks is some kind of singer, so that would probably explain your misapprehension about da League.

Peter
Shill For Hire
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
     Whats wrong with kids today????? - (boxley) - (17)
         Um, did you like your parents music? - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Well.. some music survives all generations. - (Ashton)
             No, but their music sucked - (broomberg)
         It's all Nixon's fault. - (marlowe) - (8)
             Now.. That's original! - (Ashton) - (6)
                 If you're gonna be consistent... - (marlowe) - (5)
                     'Off the radar' - (Ashton)
                     You guys had a "culture"? Outside sourdough?!? News to me... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Actually, the culture was... - (kmself)
                     Paws off our Pop, you. - (pwhysall)
                     And another thing - (pwhysall)
             the music changed when acid was replaced by meth turning - (boxley)
         Genetically engineered "bands". - (Brandioch) - (1)
             As opposed to Pat Boone, The Monkees and ...? - (Another Scott)
         Bill Cosby says "They are brain-damaged!" - (orion)
         They're suggestable - (kmself)
         Abba (grin) -NT - (wharris2)

Reese's Pieces? Am I in a different pit this time?
95 ms