[link|http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg110201.shtml|Why multiculturalism doesn't work, and can be dangerous]

Excerpts:

...what strikes me the most is how bigotry and multiculturalism are really two sides of the same coin. One group of Americans claims diversity is the greatest thing in the world - that differently hued and gendered people each have a unique perspective that pale penis people can never comprehend. "I am an albino hermaphroditic lesbian indigenous American, and you can never understand where I'm coming from." Meanwhile, another group of Americans - allegedly opposed to identity politics - says, "You people are trapped in your perspective and you can never be 'real' Americans because you're Jews" (or blacks, or Asians, or whatever). Fundamentally, there's no difference between these two positions. Both sides claim that ethnicity is an iron-bar prison. It's just that one group thinks they're superior for being in a cage, and the other group thinks they're superior because they put other people in a cage. But both are playing the same identity-politics game; they just play on different teams. It's the difference between those who say "colored people" and those who say "people of color" - each side is still valuing and sorting people according to their color...

I have no problem with American Muslims who demand that American tolerance and acceptance be extended to them. What I do have a problem with are those who wrap themselves up in the American language of tolerance and acceptance when, in their hearts, they are sworn opponents of the society that offers it.