IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Am sure that despite what we write, most do whats best ...

Had a situation once that kind of went along the lines you just wrote about. 1st wife's mother was getting old & her mind was wandering. My ex bro-in-law lived 1,500 miles away & wasn't excesively interested in his mother's problems. My ex was in another country. I decided to regularly visit the old dear just to give her a familiar face.

I had begun going out with lady who I married shortly thereafter & one day asked her (lady friend) if she would join me visiting ex's aging mother. She was shocked & said "no way". I tried to point out that this was just an old lady who needed some support & that she was very much in need of some personal attention - I felt she could well just fade away & die if ignored (this was no idle comment). She had no one else available or willing to visit her. I had also asked ex ma-i-l if she would like to meet my new friend but she kind of indicated she was not interested (but I knew her pretty well and how she might actually react).

Anyway I decide to force the issue & on a drive near the old lady's house one weekend said I was calling in to say hello & after a long tussle convinced future wife to call in with me.

Well, within 2 months the two were like aunty & niece. Ex ma-i-l spoke highly of my new wife-to-be & she in turn was even willing to visit ex ma-i-l by herself. Many years later she did the same with my own mother who she had previously had a few run-ins with. When we were living in HK, I couldn't get down as often as she could so she wrote every 2 weeks & visted on every trip back to Australia. By the time my mother died in 2002, it was my current wife that was about the only person she recognised any more despite getting regular visits from my brother, sister & their kids.

My current wife knows I would do same for her mother. Her father is aging & not going to live for too many more years. There are times I've wanted to strangle both her parents, but as with any crisis they all come & go. At heart they always have their daughter's interests at heart even if they like so many old parents, can act out a 'wicked witch' role in showing it.

So in the case of ma-i-l I took a calculated gamble that things would turn out as they did. Sometimes (but not always) the risk is worth forcing the issue.

Cheers Doug

"Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!".

-- Leonardo Da Vinci
New Indeed
We nonaligned folk periodically find it maddening when the aligned trot out their, Tis more Blessed to Give than to Receive.. as if their particular sect had a Corner on the market of putting-into-wprds What You Just Learn. (Had best learn, if you don't want to die as a Billy or a Trump)

[Present company excepted; nobody does That here - need I say?]

The 'Blessing' is in the achievement? discovery? of a level of consciousness unavailable to the self-obsessed. By any-other-name as will smell as sweet. The Universe RUNS on this energy.. D'Oh. :-0

Over the years I've known several women {then in their ~30s) whose avocation and sometimes livelihood was ~ taking care of the abandoned aged. And it was no "sacrifice". It's so corny/ineffective? when people try to 'explain' to the disinterested about such matters, in the 'West' - but then, they are understandably just trying to prod someone who's never Noticed.. quite a lot.

I've always felt it was a Big mistake when the priests got together to committee-write their manuals.. and codified so much that just can't be parsed by logic - a lot of metaphysical mischief has resulted IMhO. But there are signs of the sloughing-off of some of this mischief. {One learns never to ask 'Why'}.

But, as in your lovely story - sometimes the 'bonus' is both clear and palpable. I suspect that only experience works in such matters.

(I didn't get a chance to meet one such old lady..) who had lived a remarkable life, from her time as Earl Warren's personal secretary, when he was a D.A. in CA.. and onwards to USSC. Her early experience as one of a gaggle of (now many 'famous') early women pilots (!) was fascinating; there were a few pix of her and of them. Obv she was a good conversationalist on a variety of topics, esp, from time spent in East + artifacts, etc. Would like to have heard some of that.

I learned of this from the person who helped her, towards the end.. so it's 2nd hand. I did go along in the plane when it was time to sprinkle her ashes out over the landscape. Methinks she would have approved..
(and chortled over my 'cockpit cleanup' with the hand-vac, after we landed)

Yup, there are some Fun "old people" around :D

Ashton
     Need opinions .. Who do I offend - (jbrabeck) - (58)
         Neither - (deSitter)
         Father's day is for kids - (ChrisR) - (2)
             Wife can stuff herself. - (admin)
             Ditto... -NT - (folkert)
         Daughter. - (inthane-chan)
         Hmmm... - (Yendor)
         I would offend BOTH! - (ben_tilly) - (5)
             ditto -NT - (Steve Lowe) - (4)
                 Then who is it that becomes the polititian ? - (dmarker) - (3)
                     Every family is different - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         Am sure that despite what we write, most do whats best ... - (dmarker) - (1)
                             Indeed - (Ashton)
         It *is* "Father's Day", not "Husband's Day" -NT - (drewk)
         have lunch with one dinner with other - (boxley)
         I tell the daughter to include the sibling... - (bepatient)
         Accept invitation -NT - (dmarker)
         TLI - (Another Scott)
         Here's what happened. - (jbrabeck) - (40)
             Sounds like a good choice. - (hnick)
             Well, to be really crude about it . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             you did right, its sounds like its what YOU wanted - (boxley)
             Brain surgery is never a small detail - (ben_tilly)
             You made the right choice. Fingers crossed on the surgery. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Sounds like you made the right choice. - (jb4)
             The down side of politics - (dmarker) - (33)
                 Already playing the game - (jbrabeck) - (32)
                     This situ like similar others poses the question ... - (dmarker) - (30)
                         You missed something - (broomberg) - (29)
                             If so - yes I did miss that - (dmarker) - (28)
                                 Actually I did ask for opinions prior to making decision - (jbrabeck) - (27)
                                     You asked opinions. Did you ask for HER opinion? - (ben_tilly) - (26)
                                         I thought this whole exercise was in response to her opinion - (dmarker)
                                         Yes, I did ask her opinion - (jbrabeck) - (24)
                                             sticks snout into your business - (boxley) - (23)
                                                 She is handicapped. - (jbrabeck) - (22)
                                                     put the acellerator and brake on the column - (boxley) - (21)
                                                         I have a friend who is a quad - (broomberg) - (20)
                                                             For the times that she would need to drive -- too expensive. - (jbrabeck)
                                                             Too bad there's no ping-pong table at beeps :-( -NT - (ben_tilly) - (18)
                                                                 why you wanna try to beat the quad? :-) - (boxley) - (17)
                                                                     Drunks go with pool tables... - (ChrisR)
                                                                     Even drunk I beat most people handily - (ben_tilly)
                                                                     He's Good - (broomberg) - (14)
                                                                         yea he is. -NT - (boxley)
                                                                         I'm impressed -NT - (ben_tilly) - (12)
                                                                             You should try to lift his bag of medals - (broomberg) - (11)
                                                                                 Think he'd be up for a game Friday night? - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                                                                     No - (broomberg) - (9)
                                                                                         Begone -NT - (broomberg) - (8)
                                                                                             Gracias -NT - (ben_tilly) - (7)
                                                                                                 Hey admin!!! - (broomberg) - (6)
                                                                                                     Bleh. - (admin) - (5)
                                                                                                         Agreed -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                                                                             {cackle}_____{cackle}___Ah... IWE____________{glorp} -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                         Indeed I do - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                                             No, that's what he does to you -NT - (broomberg) - (1)
                                                                                                                 With prodding from someone else... - (folkert)
                     Because she would in your place. - (bepatient)

Ships were made for sinking, whiskey made for drinking. If we were made of cellophane we'd all get stinking drunk quite faster! Ah, ha, ha!
134 ms