IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I never cease to be amazed
that the people in this community, intelligent as they are, still believe that the DOJ is going to bell the Microsoft cat.
What happens at trials is irrelevant to the long term outcome. For the last few decades, trials have not been to determine the facts of a case; they are to determine what can be gotten away with.
Whatever happens to MS will reduced to a dollars/cents evaluation, added into the cost of MS doing business, and passed on to the suckers^Wend users. Everybody involved will get to save face. The Beast will continue business as usual. The pols will claim a great win for the forces of justice and freedom (and then go on to pass the SSSSCA.)

Just my .02
Hugh
(although I will bet anywhere up to a nickle on the outcome...)
New Given the font of real-life IT experience here,
isn't it significant that, after all the discussion re *remedies* from even 4 (?) years ago on IWE, then EZ and then to as recently as past few weeks:

There's hardly consensus about "what DOJ ought to do next" *Here* ! If there's anything like a common thread I could try to find amidst the very many essays, from quips to quite careful analyses - that would include:

Breakup - Nahhh - just several mini-Beasts sure to coopt whatever rules.

Fines - just as you say; irrelevant to the basic Taleban-like infrastructure. Amortized and a part of the usual MBA-bookkeeping: so adored by the 'Economists' amongst us. (It's such a Neat model to work with too; all the numbers come out so 'balanced', every time. No matter what.)

Criminal penalties affecting the actual Crooks? - Murica disciplining an actually Rich officer / BOD group? for anything? (murder is treated by other enforcers).

Procedures - almost certain to be finessed, in 'code' or via backroom intimidation as made all the OEMs into concupiscent sheep from the first. NDAs guarantee that most shit shall never hit a real fan! Law by lawyers for Corp lawyers.

Finally - the level of tech sophistication required merely to comprehend the subtleties of the IT-Taleban operations - virtually guarantees that a mouth-breathing representative (even one willing to ponder a bit more than sources of next reelection funds), simply won't get it. Won't fathom the 'procedural' method nor contemplate actual punishment of clear instigators of unlawful behavior. Actual courage and tenacity (akin to Judge Jackson's ~mastering the scam) would be required. Know any -critters like That?

As you said, then. Personally I will be *SHOCKED* if something remotely effective (on any! level) is a part of this Corp-justice machine results. 9/11 is the perfect smokescreen for, can't we all just get along? and the rest of the self-serving maudlin spin sure to be woven into M$'s "plea" of being picked-on. Works on lovers of warm puppies, every time.

Hey - it's Corp-Am! Still. They will piss on Ed Curry's grave. (and on many others we may extrapolate over the years, without too much stat. error?) We spawn lawyers and MBAs mostly now, and for some time: engineers are declining as a % - we can 'hire those' from India, Japan, where there are functioning educational systems and kids who want to learn.

Synonym for 'electorate': impotent.

:[

Stand by for a .NET/Passport in your soup.. however flimsy and sylph-like in its never-completed state -
New Noted.
And a front-line comment, if from an unusual source.

The church where I worship has been using PowerPoint 97 for displaying song words and sermon notes during the services for several months now. However, licensing of the software has been a bit ... casual. The church also can't afford it. For the first time, I broached the possibility of moving to a Linux based solution, something I'd like to do partly to get away from Microsoft. It took some while for me to realize the other person didn't realize that this solution would not require license compliance - and it was only when he asked the price of it did I notice! It was a concept he simply hadn't considered.

Extrapolating from this and other rumblings here and elsewhere about the sheer cost and bother of MS licence compliance, I suspect that Microsoft are going to do more harm to themselves than the current DOJ case, with their new-found attention on people actually licencing the software they want.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

The deal is done? - (andread) - (9)
         That is what it looks like - (bluke) - (1)
             Not so fast - (kmself)
         Promising. - (static)
         Last resort may be the intransigence of the State AGs. - (Ashton)
         Pundit captures the spirit of the game.. - (Ashton) - (1)
             Well spoken Chris. -NT - (cforde)
         I never cease to be amazed - (hnick) - (2)
             Given the font of real-life IT experience here, - (Ashton)
             Noted. - (static)

The ice cream truck in the neighborhood plays "Helter Skelter".
68 ms