IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interactive was System V
It was 5.3 which varied from 5.2 due to the 386ix extensions. I used it when it was owned by Kodak. It was indeed bought by Sun and it became the base for Solaris. The original Sun OS was BSD based and was the basis for their original servers. Both were true Unix, unless you want to argue that AT&T variants are more/less uxix than Berkley, which I would consider pointless.

The only reason I remember this is because my first real unix project was a protocol converter/terminal emulator for Honeywell DPS 6/7/8 mini's to run on 386ix Unix. We sub-contracted to Sun who was sub-contracted to Martin-Marrietta and we also sub-contracted to a bunch called C3. C3 specified a Zenith 386 box with Interactive unix, and Sun made a special 386ix box they called the Roadrunner which ran a version of their BSD based OS. The end user was Military Airlift Command. I got my stuff working well on both, but Honeywell Federal Systems also proposed a Mac with their own pc/te on it and threatened to have shortages of parts for DPS 6's if MAC didn't use their product. Two years later, Honey Federal Systems called up my boss and inquired if I could get communications running on their Macintosh. I declined, somewhat less politely than usual.
New it was also the introduction of bind
I was using interactive, trying to get the whole bind listener working when I hit a deadline and dropped a bunch of gettys instead. Nice product. Also got Lotus to run on it.. Lotus wouldnt support it and interactive swore it couldnt be done. I got it to run.
thanx,
bill
Anchorage AK: House for sale 3 bed 1 bath 1440 sq feet huge lot near Cheney Lake 175K FSBO 813.273.3518
I wondered what Darwinian moment had to effect itself before we devolved from children flying paper flags in the sky to half formed creatures thundering in a wall of horns down the road to Roncevaux. James Lee Burke
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE - (pwhysall) - (10)
         Darwin isnt, quite correct - (boxley) - (4)
             Don't think that's quite correct either - (hnick) - (3)
                 the ancestor of Solaris was Interactive Unix - (boxley) - (2)
                     Interactive was System V - (hnick) - (1)
                         it was also the introduction of bind - (boxley)
         So, you ever heard of the Test Candidates for Sarge? - (folkert) - (2)
             If that's the new d-i netinstaller... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Yar. -NT - (folkert)
         More-or-less matches my FreeBSD experience. - (static)
         Debian FreeBSD - (Steve Lowe)

That is not actually a charming anecdote!
40 ms