IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New For those who are confused...
The [link|http://ed.labonte.com/pr.html|Proportional
Representation FAQ] contains an explanation of Australia's
preference voting system, as well as many other options in use.

Note that the system they use allows multiple viable parties to co-exist, in remarkable contrast to the US' version of two parties, exactly alike.

Cheers,
Ben
New Illinois used to have a somewhat similar system
It actually required that you have some brains to vote (which, of course becaome unconstitutional). The downside was, of course, that only high school students who were currently taking Civics or US History courses knew how to vote; the vast unwashed didn't get it.

(Of course, it made Hizzonner Mayor Richard M. Daley much more able to get the most out of his dead voters... :-\ufffd

Was replaced somewhere around 1970 with a "1-man, 1-vote" system.
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New Some clarification.
The Proportional Representation system described is in use for our Upper Houses of Parliament. The gratuity I mentioned is for the Lower Houses where it is one elected representative per electorate.

However, where I believe ours differs from the US system is that a winning candidate must have 50%+1 votes. If there aren't enough on primary couting, then the votes for the lowest polling candidate are re-distributed according to the "2" preferences. This continues recursively until there is a winner. If someone has only voted "1" and not listed any preferences, then the party that they voted for supplies a list of preferences as a "default". Thus, preference deals with and by the minor parties have become A Big Thing.

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Yes, that IS different from the old Illinois system...
...Thanx for the clarification.
jb4
(Resistance is not futile...)
New I don't know the old Illinois system but...
The voting system that Wade described was explicitly documented in my link, just not in quite as much detail.

Cheers,
Ben
New Yes, sorry it was.
Under "Majority Preference Voting".

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

Australian Federal Election coming up. - (static) - (7)
         I've remained remarkably propaganda-free. - (Meerkat)
         For those who are confused... - (ben_tilly) - (5)
             Illinois used to have a somewhat similar system - (jb4)
             Some clarification. - (static) - (3)
                 Yes, that IS different from the old Illinois system... - (jb4) - (2)
                     I don't know the old Illinois system but... - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Yes, sorry it was. - (static)

“How do you tell when you’re out of invisible ink?”

- Steven Wright
38 ms