IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Since when is sauerkraut bitter?
New Maybe that's not the right word...
I don't think I've ever had *genuine* sauerkraut (the kind that sits in a vat for months on end). The stuff in jars or cans at the local \ufffdbermart usually has a 'bitter' taste to it (to my tongue anyway).

What would you call it?

Cheers,
Scott.
New Tart and Salty.
Most "major brand" sauerkraut is not very good.

As I recall Claussen's is pretty decent, but not at the indecent price they want these days - no way do I pay nearly $4 for $0.10 worth of rotted cabbage.

Meter's Wisconsin Kraut is pretty good for all cooking purposes and my all time preference for sauerkraut soup.

Right now I'm using Steinfeld's "Quality since 1922" from Oregon because Sunland Produce got in a few pallets of 2 litre (almost 6# net)and is selling cheap, so I bought a bunch of them. It's pretty good general purpose kraut.

I don't know who's buying it (their clientel is heavily Near Eastern, Mexican and India) - but a few pallets of kraut sure doesn't last long at Sunland.

Some of the expensive deli krauts are good, and some are not. I tried Trader Joe's hyped and expensive kraut and found it rather poor - and so did the Los Angeles Times, rating it dead last. They didn't rate Claussen's, I guess nearly $4 for a jar was too much for them too.

One of the very best for just plain eating right out of the jar (except it came in cans) was Kuhne "Sauerkraut with Rhine Wine" direct from Krautland itself. Sunland had a few pallets of 28oz cans but they only lasted about 2 weeks and I don't expect to see any more.

Sunland's been getting an endless supply of a Polish brand, Smak, and it's OK (definitely better than the "major brands"), but I'm not really that impressed.

Of course, the local Korean markets (3 within 2 miles here) have massive sauerkraut supplies, but theirs is probably not something you want to cook you pork in, it's more for eating as a side with.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Claussen's is okay but expensive
not too bad are Hebrew National and Sabrettes when on sale.
thanx,
bill
Anchorage AK: House for sale 3 bed 1 bath 1440 sq feet huge lot near Cheney Lake 175K FSBO 813.273.3518
I wondered what Darwinian moment had to effect itself before we devolved from children flying paper flags in the sky to half formed creatures thundering in a wall of horns down the road to Roncevaux. James Lee Burke
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Scrumptious? Yummy? Something like that.
Or, OK, "tart and salty", as the Gryge suggests.

He's also right on the money about that "drain and rinse" stuff being pure idiocy; why buy sauerkraut in the first place, if you're just going to wash away all the flavour?

BTW: Not that Kühne is all that great for a German sauerkraut, AFAIK, but it's good enough for me; it has to be, it's almost the only one you see in shops here in .fi... That, and sometimes, even more rarely, Schwabentopf (if they make kraut at all; ISTR they do (or is that just gherkins and stuff I'm remembering?)).

Anyway, I'll have to check out the Lidl that opened recently just a mile or two from here, to see if they have any better; though I suspect that'll have to wait a few weeks. Will try to remember to report back later.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Re:drain and rinse
Most of the common sauerkraut that I see tastes like steel wool when it comes out of the can or bottle. On the other paw, it is a lot easier than shredding and fermenting a head of cabbage. Therefore, the recommended course of action is to squeeze out the existing liquid, replace it with white wine, mince an apple into it, season and let it simmer in pork fat that comes off the sausages, ribs, and chops that you cook with it.
Doesn't taste like steel wool any more.
Takes a lot of pig to make commercial sauerkraut taste good.
     Pork loin - The other white meat - (broomberg) - (17)
         They are awesome. - (bepatient) - (2)
             Yup - I was surprised - (broomberg) - (1)
                 Slice some pork chops from them - (drewk)
         Apple sauce - required condiment. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
             Camping - (deSitter)
         Ayuh! - (Yendor)
         slowcooker - (boxley) - (2)
             Ooh, gotta try that one -NT - (drewk)
             Great to make sandwiches when fork pulled. -NT - (bepatient)
         This is pretty good and pretty easy. - (Another Scott) - (7)
             Since when is sauerkraut bitter? -NT - (CRConrad) - (5)
                 Maybe that's not the right word... - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Tart and Salty. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Claussen's is okay but expensive - (boxley)
                     Scrumptious? Yummy? Something like that. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Re:drain and rinse - (hnick)
             I would do it a tad differently. - (Andrew Grygus)

As Sam Goldwyn said, "I'm sick of the old cliches. Bring me some new cliches."
48 ms