IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've always cautioned to be careful with names.
For instance "Beaver" is restricted to server appliances that will never become workstation assigned to the boss's snazzy young daughter, just hired.

At one place, one of the girls was in some kind of accident and both her eyes were black and blue. From that point on nobody ever forgot that "Raccoon" was her workstation.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Re: I've always cautioned to be careful with names.
At one former job the DB programmers adopted STNG as their theme. One guy annoyed me to no end so I punk'd him. I patched his COMMAND.COM to call my own batch file instead of AUTOEXEC.BAT. My file edited his WfW machine name, so that at each boot he came up as "WESLEY". He'd change it and back it'd go the next day.

My batch file would chain AUTOEXEC.BAT so changes made there would still work. Needless to say, he was perplexed.
-drl
     Computer naming schemes. - (Silverlock) - (38)
         having worked in large scale enterprises just a couple of - (boxley)
         I named them the MAC address. - (folkert) - (21)
             I like that idea. - (Silverlock) - (20)
                 I don't - (deSitter) - (19)
                     Agree with Ross. -NT - (jbrabeck)
                     Concur. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                         Which is Exactly why I used the MAC address. - (folkert) - (5)
                             Seems overengineered to me., - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 Yeap... - (folkert) - (2)
                                     My case 15k winders boxen nationwide - (boxley)
                                     Re: Yeap... - (pwhysall)
                             O peanut, I thee sledge -NT - (deSitter)
                     I never name them after users or jobs. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                         Re: I never name them after users or jobs. - (deSitter)
                         Heh. - (mmoffitt)
                         Theme names - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
                             I've always cautioned to be careful with names. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Re: I've always cautioned to be careful with names. - (deSitter)
                     Sure... good reason TO use it. Thanks. - (folkert) - (2)
                         Re: Sure... good reason TO use it. Thanks. - (deSitter) - (1)
                             I don't want to get into a pissing war. - (folkert)
                     Re: MAC address conveys no new information. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Sure, like FCC ID -NT - (deSitter)
         When I named computers - (orion)
         Planets, car names, table of elements, movie and book chars - (lister) - (13)
             Ineptium? -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 I only used the real element names, no made up ones -NT - (lister)
             Dubnium? Bohrium? -NT - (drewk)
             Boron? -NT - (imric) - (9)
                 DING! -NT - (lister)
                 That IS "Bohrium", kinda, AFAIK: It's named for Niels Bohr. -NT - (CRConrad) - (7)
                     .......... - (imric) - (6)
                         This is why.... - (pwhysall)
                         Re: .......... - (deSitter) - (2)
                             Nononono. - (pwhysall)
                             ROFL! -NT - (imric)
                         Oh - then WTF is boron named for? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             But you must admit bohrium would be more dense. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

If she weighs the same as a duck...
102 ms