IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'd be interested
Reading that thread I also heard about swappiness. Dang, but that sounds like a useful parameter that I wish I had heard about earlier. I hate coming to a machine in the morning and finding that all of my programs have been swapped out for the convenience of a cron job which was not performance critical...

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New That reminds me of "time sharing" systems of old.
All the users would be on dumb (and mechanical) terminals like an [link|http://www.columbia.edu/acis/history/1052.html|IBM 1052]. People would fiddle with the shift key while reading the output on paper. The activity would keep the user in a higher priority queue.
Alex

Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost. -- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), German philosopher
New That page links to some very cool stuff
Primarily, [link|http://www.nfrpartners.com/comphistory/|photos of old IBM equipment]. I remember as a work experience kid having to lean the vacuum channels of the tape drive - gangs of fun.

The author's wry commentary is good value too.

Picture A : "Decks of punched cards"
Picture B: "Insert the cards at left to produce these. They are called 'core dumps'" :)

And the wall behind the 1130 system is just ... far out.
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Everyone smoked.
New Thanks, I hadn't seen those.
That was my world in my late 20's, early 30's.
Alex

Honor has not to be won; it must only not be lost. -- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860), German philosopher
New Bits of it were my late teens, early 20s.
I was just a mainframe user, not an operator. (My week of work experience as a 15yr old notwithstanding.)

Of course, being a young mainframe COBOL programmer generally meant I hated it, longing for something more current. But nowadays I look back on it with a certain fondness. There are still aspects of ISPF that I miss. Well, a bit. Maybe.

(I don't miss having to carry armfuls of tape reels across site to the 'backup safe'...)
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Interested? Then comment
Tell me what is good, bad, or stupid!
Point me into area I will need to research before thinking about devleoping.
Give me the email of someone who might actually do it, rather than me!
New Well...
I like preloading programs. Those tend to be reasonably often accessed, and of reasonable size. Though some might dislike it because they say, "I load a program, and part of it never gets modified, why not just keep only what I need paged into memory?" My gut says that this is wrong, but some good benchmarks would be useful.

I don't like guessing at files though - constantly guessing wrong would massively increase the size of your working set, causing you to make the swap problem worse for other programs.

You might achieve a modicum of sanity by setting limits on how much data/program you are willing to preload. So you increase the working set, but by a tunable amount.

Cheers,
Ben

PS About an email address for someone that I can think of who might do it, do you really want me to give you your own email address? :-P (My way of saying that nobody comes to mind.)
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
Expand Edited by ben_tilly May 31, 2004, 02:06:08 AM EDT
New The horror of MS Office FastFind springs to mind
...there was a hideous model of anti-efficiency if I ever saw one.
New What do you meam: WAS?
You mean STILL is. It lives on in the OS called "Volume Information Index" (or something close)

No frickin way does ANYTHING need to know as much about the filesystem. Or the contents of the files. Sheesh.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

Give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute.
Set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
     Cache preload idea - (broomberg) - (15)
         OT: Stop pressing return at the end of every line, dammit! - (pwhysall) - (4)
             No - (broomberg) - (3)
                 It's hard to read. Thought I'd ask. Shrug. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     I'm not sure that it is hard to read - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                         Re: I'm not sure that it is hard to read - (pwhysall)
         I'd be interested - (ben_tilly) - (9)
             That reminds me of "time sharing" systems of old. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                 That page links to some very cool stuff - (Meerkat) - (3)
                     Everyone smoked. -NT - (broomberg)
                     Thanks, I hadn't seen those. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Bits of it were my late teens, early 20s. - (Meerkat)
             Interested? Then comment - (broomberg) - (3)
                 Well... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     The horror of MS Office FastFind springs to mind - (FuManChu) - (1)
                         What do you meam: WAS? - (folkert)

I've got you in my hands.
70 ms