IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Table != Disk
Incorrect. The table config information is more difficult to migrate between environments, and doesn't support revision control.

Taken up in another message. I showed how to add rivision tracking.

It's what you do with it that's manual. You have to create your own jump table using eval, whereas OO techniques get that built in for free.

I don't have to create no "jump table". I use the existing table from the DB. In the example of your 600 parameters, assuming it is in a dictioanry array, we just do this:
\n  eval(clientDict['loginStategry'])\n

Ah, I see. You believe this to be true because you've never worked on a large system. Juggling IO requirements is a constant battle. Ask any DBA for a large system.

Even some OO'ers have complained that OR mappers slow things down. Maybe those OO'ers are just not as smart as you, and so have speed problems.

Not when the "EXE" is a stored procedure running in the same process, as in the parm table example I posted. The overhead WAS IO. This was PROVEN by analysis.

I heard it was possible to cache *entire* Oracle tables in RAM so that there is little or no disk I/O. Maybe there is an oracle bug or your DBA is dumb.

I will agree that sometimes caching and other techniques don't work as we expect, and we have to resort to hacky shit like converting tables into giant case lists and the like. But just because an approach creates a problem for situation A, does not necessarily mean we bannish it from the face of the earth. If I find a specific performance bug in Java does that mean all of OO is rotten?

You've repeated this line of argument several times now, so I suppose it's worth asking the question: "slow things down" relative to what?

First point. A wrapper, whether it's OR or PR (procedural relational) adds an extra layer of abstraction, with some costs usually involved (though there can be gains with things like cacheing as well).

In terms of these OOP people you keep referring to, what they are saying is that they would rather have an OO-database (persistence mechanism of some sorts). They are not comparing your idea of language and saying that OR-mapping is slower than that ideal. They are simply saying that an OO-Database is to be preferred to OR-mapping. And, yes, if you have that luxury, it will be much faster.
New Re: OR mappers slowing things down
First point. A wrapper, whether it's OR or PR (procedural relational) adds an extra layer of abstraction, with some costs usually involved

That is what I keep saying about relational and tables: higher abstraction may cost some in performance.

In terms of these OOP people you keep referring to, what they are saying is that they would rather have an OO-database

Some do, but as I understood it, many recommend more direct access to the RDBMS or a creating a lite-layered custom OR-mapper that fits that particular app.

By the way, what do you think's the reason for poor OODBMS sells?
Notes, the fact that you elided the last part of the comment (some gains wrt cacheing, and there some other optimizations possible as well, such that you may actually get better performance).

Notes also, that Procedural abstraction have the same concerns as an OO one, in terms of creating a procedural abstraction layer. Procedural languages are no more related to the relational calculus as OO languages.
Some do, but as I understood it, many recommend more direct access to the RDBMS or a creating a lite-layered custom OR-mapper that fits that particular app.
Notes, that OO languages are just as capable of using raw SQL commands as procedural ones.
By the way, what do you think's the reason for poor OODBMS sells?
Probably because of all the hype generated by the table programmers.
New Re: OR mappers slowing things down
and there some other optimizations possible as well, such that you may actually get better performance

May be true of TOP-techniques also. Why scotts "600" table couldn't cache in RAM more effectively, who knows. Maybe they just couldn't find the right Oracle tweak.

Procedural languages are no more related to the relational calculus as OO languages.

It is just that OO and databases tend to fight over territory. In p/r, the "noun attribute model" is mostly in the DB, not code structures; but in OO you have classes that tend to mirror the noun attribute model, fighting with the DB over that duty.

Notes, that OO languages are just as capable of using raw SQL commands as procedural ones.

True, but it starts to look rather procedural in design if you do that.

Probably because of all the hype generated by the table programmers.

I wish it were true. Fight fire with fire :-)
You use these words as if they actually mean something?

I'm thinking you don't quite understand the concept of abstraction - you seem to use it as if it's a "bad" word. The point of abstraction is to hide implementation details at a lower level of code such that the code built upon top of that abstraction need not worry about it. Specifically, if you try to abstract the fact that you don't care how, when and where a method (or procedure or function) goes about it's business of doing a request, then you are half way there to abstraction. Now build a procedural model that doesn't care about how data is stored (any number of database vendors or persistance or text files or ....). You soon find that building an abstraction in the Procedural code is just as hard (if not harder since you limit your toolbox). The fact that you assume that Procedural and Relational go hand in hand mean that you miss the obvious fact that you are tightly coupled to a specific modus operandi.

Now if what you want is to not build an abstraction of the storage mechanism, I'd say that most OO languages are more than happy to oblige. After all, OO languages are a superset of procedural ones since they always have the ability to stuff all the code into a single static method.
New My abstraction can beat up your abstraction
Relational is about much more than JUST "storage". That is what OO'ers don't get. They use it JUST for storage, but then end up reinventing all the other stuff in their OO app anyhow. They have to reinvent it because OO does not provide enough power out-of-the-box. To add it requires reinventing a (navigational) database. Relational provides a fairly standardized way to manage state and noun attributes that OO lacks. Everybody ends up doing it so differently. Plus, OO often hard-wires access paths into the design.

If I wanted to be able to easily swap database engines, then I could just use lowest-common-denominator SQL. But why don't I do this? because I want to use the rest of the DB features also. BTW, SQL is an interface, not an implementation. Ponder that. The only way OO systems get out of vendor lock is to have a translation layer. There is no reason an equally-powerful (and maybe equally flawed) intermediate query language could not be built for procedural. The fact that it does not exist likely means the need for it is not as great as OO'ers claim. Plus, the OO frameworks tend to be language-locked. Thus the choice is DB vendor lock or language lock so far at this stage in the swap wars. Pick your poison.

If you can clearly demonstrate that OO is higher abstraction without fuzzy zen talk, be my guest.
Created as new thread #157295 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=157295|re: Relational is more than storage]
New It wasn't a caching issue
It was CPU spinning due to searching through the table for data.

Though I admit to being puzzled as to why IF/THEN written in PL/SQL would beat a hash lookup from adding the right index to a table.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New No file IO
In memory always beats file IO.

The algorithm produced a hard-coded binary search in IF/THENs. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New I understand how it worked
It just surprises me that binary search in PL/SQL beats an index lookup.

After all index lookups can be implemented many ways, including binary search or a hash lookup. Personally with 2000 things I'd expect a properly coded hash lookup to beat a binary search.

Oh well. Optimization often has little surprises like that for obscure implementation reasons.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New Index lookup in code, or table index?
Table index requires file IO.

If you're talking about using string keyed hashes in the programming language, keep in mind that this is v8 PL/SQL. There ain't no sich beastie. Integer index only.

9i has associative arrays, but there are still some deficiencies to them.

Even if we had decent hashes, since the connection state is blown away between pages there's no place to keep the hash without it being recreated every time. Persistence in this situation requires that the data be represented by code.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New That requirement would shock me
Table index requires file IO.

Why? Oracle should be smart enough to cache a frequently used table in RAM. If you change it, then you have to hit disk. But if you don't, then there is no reason in the world for them to be so stupid, and I don't think that they are stupid.

Furthermore your problem was that the query was spinning lots of CPU. Slowness from hitting I/O won't show up on your CPU usage statistics.

If I was going to guess the cause of the problem, I'm going to bet on low-level implementation details. An index lookup is fast. But before Oracle gets there the execution path has to include getting a latch (that's a kind of lock), look for the cached query plan for the current query, find it there (let's ignore the parse route since most of the time the common query has a parse in cache), release the latch, interpret that plan, realize that the plan says to do an index lookup, locate the appropriate index, realize that it is in cache, do the index lookup, look for the appropriate row, find it in cache, read it and return it. I've probably missed something that it does. You'll note that several of these steps involve string comparisons that are going to take CPU time.

That's the overhead which I think makes it possible to beat an index lookup using straight PL/SQL.

Cheers,
Ben
New Re: That requirement would shock me
Why? Oracle should be smart enough to cache a frequently used table in RAM.
And if they're all frequently used? :-)

Furthermore your problem was that the query was spinning lots of CPU.
If I gave that impression, it was erroneously. Performance was decreased, but that doesn't mean more CPU necessarily. Basically the question you ask the profiling tool is "how much time is being spent doing foo?" Whether that time is spent doing IO or spinning the CPU doesn't matter. It's still time spent. And if the time spent is 15% of the overall time spent across the system then it's a good candidate for optimization.

I'll have to talk to the DBA on Tuesday to get the particulars. The developer who rewrote it was a little fuzzy on why it was so slow in the first place (this was two years ago). He just remembered that it had something to do with file IO, and pinning the table made no difference.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Question about Oracle tables
Is it possible to define a memory based partition that holds selectable tables? Not that this is a question about the problem/solution you are talking about, but I've always thought that allowing the programmer to set up memory based tables for optimization purposes might be a useful optimization technique for certain lookup tables that you know are used frequently.
New You can pin them in memory.
Assuming you have enough memory. As I said, I'm going to have to take it up with the DBA as to why that wasn't sufficient.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Oracle tables pinned in memory.
As it turns out, I was wrong all around, and right for the wrong reasons.

The actual problem was lock contention. The table was pinned, but Oracle places micro locks for reads, effectively serializing reads on single blocks. The CPU was churned by grabbing and releasing locks on the parm data repeatedly. Since we make extensive use of that data (as I indicated, this is Bryce's dream architecture), the lock management became a significant consumer of CPU. Why Oracle needed to lock read-only data I neglected to find out. This is also a significantly dumbed-down version of the explanation I was given. :-P

Also I was misremembering the %cpu being used. The actual figure was MUCH higher. The DBA estimates that we would have been maxed out at 25% of our current capacity had the change not been made.

An interesting comment he made: Oracle considers the heavy use of a single parm table such as we were doing to be an application design flaw. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New You did give the impression that CPU was the issue
In your description at [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=157019|http://z.iwethey.org...?contentid=157019] it said 15% of CPU time was spent on this query. I've been working from the assumption that this was the problem that needed solving.

If that is wrong, then reasonable theories to explain what didn't happen are, of course, superfluous.

Cheers,
Ben
New Whoops, my mistake.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Re: Table != Disk
I don't have to create no "jump table". I use the existing table from the DB. In the example of your 600 parameters, assuming it is in a dictioanry array, we just do this:

eval(clientDict['loginStategry'])
Otherwise known as a "jump table". Here's a list of entry points, for this client jump to this code to do the work. Thank you for the verification of the technique.

Ah, I see. You believe this to be true because you've never worked on a large system. Juggling IO requirements is a constant battle. Ask any DBA for a large system.
Even some OO'ers have complained that OR mappers slow things down. Maybe those OO'ers are just not as smart as you, and so have speed problems.
Which has nothing to do with what you quoted. We're talking about database engines. Juggling IO issues is a constant concern on this scale. Cached values are constantly being thrown out because so much data is moving through the system, causing hits to disk and file IO. Our DBA has a PhD in database management. I think he's probably slightly more versed in the particulars than you.

I heard it was possible to cache *entire* Oracle tables in RAM so that there is little or no disk I/O. Maybe there is an oracle bug or your DBA is dumb.
See above. He has a PhD. You simply don't understand the issues involved. As I said, ask any DBA for a large system.

I will agree that sometimes caching and other techniques don't work as we expect, and we have to resort to hacky shit like converting tables into giant case lists and the like. But just because an approach creates a problem for situation A, does not necessarily mean we bannish it from the face of the earth. If I find a specific performance bug in Java does that mean all of OO is rotten?
This is your main technique. Used on these scales it causes performance problems. Or do you have evidence to the contrary?

And given that it causes performance problems, do you have any other suggestions?
Regards,

-scott anderson

New This is an area in which I'm proud of Dejavu
The default Unit Server class has a "cache lifetime" value you can set; if a unit is not requested by client code within that period, it gets flushed out of the cache. Deployers can set a sweeper process to run every 5 minutes, every hour, every day, whatever they find is best--AND, can do that either at app startup with a config file, or just do it on the fly (OK, I haven't written the "on the fly" part yet, but it wouldn't be hard).

But the cool part IMO is that you don't have to use the default Server class or its default components. For example, I have a BurnedRecaller that, on the first request (even if its filtered), loads _all_ objects of that Unit class into the cache and keeps them there. You could just as easily make one that does no caching at all.

In other words, I tried to make testing and then using different cache strategies monkey-easy.
New Nifty.
Hibernate is pretty flexible with caching as well. There's even one caching strategy that clusters across machines.
Regards,

-scott anderson

Re: Login checks and declarative processing - (admin) - (130)
         Re Re: Login checks and declarative processing - (tablizer) - (129)
             Declarative languages can easily be turing complete - (ChrisR) - (9)
                 I am assuming he means XML-like -NT - (tablizer) - (8)
                     There are a multitude of XML based languages.... - (ChrisR) - (7)
                         If your config files are TC, then why have 2 langs? -NT - (tablizer) - (5)
                             Do you really have to ask? - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                 TC != Easy -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                     Exactly. - (ChrisR)
                             One's a hammer, the other is a screwdriver. -NT - (admin)
                             As an aside, that question has popped up in another context - (ChrisR)
                         BTW, Turing machines don't require much. - (ChrisR)
             Re: Login checks and declarative processing - (admin) - (118)
                 Login checks and declarative processing - (tablizer) - (117)
                     Re: Login checks and declarative processing - (admin) - (116)
                         Polymorphism - (tablizer) - (115)
                             Raison d'etre d'composition - (FuManChu) - (3)
                                 Epicycles - (tablizer) - (2)
                                     Re: Epicycles - (admin)
                                     Once more with feeling - (FuManChu)
                             So the best organization of code is... - (ChrisR) - (8)
                                 The funny thing is... - (admin) - (1)
                                     Noticed that too - (drewk)
                                 That is NOT what I said - (tablizer) - (5)
                                     Re: That is NOT what I said - (admin)
                                     Poor dichotomy on which to base your opinion of OO - (FuManChu) - (3)
                                         re: Poor dichotomy on which to base your opinion of OO - (tablizer) - (2)
                                             re: Poor dichotomy on which to base your opinion of OO - (admin) - (1)
                                                 How Lisp of you. Just add some TOP now. -NT - (tablizer)
                             Who says it's hard-coupled to a single factor? - (admin) - (101)
                                 so you say - (tablizer) - (100)
                                     Sounds like another... - (admin) - (99)
                                         Text is linear - (tablizer) - (98)
                                             Re: Text is linear - (admin) - (97)
                                                 Delt-A-Matic - (tablizer) - (96)
                                                     Re: Delt-A-Matic - (admin) - (95)
                                                         problem is treed-files, not procedural - (tablizer) - (94)
                                                             Re: problem is treed-files, not procedural - (admin) - (21)
                                                                 Re: problem is treed-files, not procedural - (tablizer) - (20)
                                                                     Re: problem is treed-files, not procedural - (admin) - (19)
                                                                         Re: problem is treed-files, not procedural - (tablizer) - (18)
                                                                             Re: problem is treed-files, not procedural - (admin) - (17)
                                                                                 misunderstanding - (tablizer) - (16)
                                                                                     Re: misunderstanding - (admin) - (15)
                                                                                         Well... I pack up my development database and... - (ChrisR)
                                                                                         How do you prime it in the first place? - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                                             I prefer Kilz myself. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                                 That works well... - (folkert)
                                                                                         The file system *is* a database - (tablizer) - (9)
                                                                                             Re: The file system *is* a database - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                                 over-the-phone brain surgery - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                                                     Re: over-the-phone brain surgery - (admin) - (6)
                                                                                                         a single command does not like databases? - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                                                             Re: a single command does not like databases? - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                                 Re: single command - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                     Naw... you are thinking... - (folkert)
                                                                                                                     Re: single command - (admin)
                                                                                                             Database migrations (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                         Nit: some code does belong in a database. (sp's) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                             Exactly. - (FuManChu) - (71)
                                                                 Amazing, isn't it? - (admin)
                                                                 OO takes credit for sunrises even - (tablizer) - (69)
                                                                     Scheme and the Lambda Calculus - (ChrisR)
                                                                     Re: OO takes credit for sunrises even - (admin) - (60)
                                                                         No way Jose -- Gotta go to DB anyhow - (tablizer) - (59)
                                                                             Er... - (admin) - (27)
                                                                                 "Use OO because OO is faster" is the best you can do? - (tablizer) - (26)
                                                                                     Serious question - (drewk) - (2)
                                                                                         Interrelated - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                             Re: Interrelated - (admin)
                                                                                     Re: "Use OO because OO is faster" is the best you can do? - (admin) - (22)
                                                                                         Table != Disk - (tablizer) - (21)
                                                                                             Re: OR mappers slowing things down - (ChrisR) - (17)
                                                                                                 Re: OR mappers slowing things down - (tablizer) - (16)
                                                                                                     Re: OR mappers slowing things down - (ChrisR) - (15)
                                                                                                         Re: OR mappers slowing things down - (tablizer) - (14)
                                                                                                             Procedural abstraction - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                                                                 My abstraction can beat up your abstraction - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                     re: Relational is more than storage (new thread) - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                             It wasn't a caching issue - (ben_tilly) - (10)
                                                                                                                 No file IO - (admin) - (9)
                                                                                                                     I understand how it worked - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                                                                                                                         Index lookup in code, or table index? - (admin) - (7)
                                                                                                                             That requirement would shock me - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                                                                                                 Re: That requirement would shock me - (admin) - (5)
                                                                                                                                     Question about Oracle tables - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                                                                                         You can pin them in memory. - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             Oracle tables pinned in memory. - (admin)
                                                                                                                                     You did give the impression that CPU was the issue - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Whoops, my mistake. -NT - (admin)
                                                                                             Re: Table != Disk - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                 This is an area in which I'm proud of Dejavu - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                                                     Nifty. - (admin)
                                                                             Another little anecdote for you: - (admin) - (7)
                                                                                 OT: Scott, can we please do something about long lines? - (jb4) - (6)
                                                                                     Dang, this was SUPPOSED to go into the Suggestions forum - (jb4) - (3)
                                                                                         The other way, besides cut and paste, is to re-type it :-) -NT - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                                             There isn't enough time in the world... - (jb4) - (1)
                                                                                                 HTH: As with Perl, There's More Than One Way To Do It -NT - (ChrisR)
                                                                                     Perhaps one might play with CSS clip and overflow...? -NT - (FuManChu)
                                                                                     Not that I'm aware of. - (admin)
                                                                             Retrieving the customer record anyway: - (admin) - (22)
                                                                                 question - (tablizer) - (21)
                                                                                     Re: question - (admin) - (20)
                                                                                         The other method is to have one column.... - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                                             Re: The other method is to have one column.... - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                 That's the spirit!!! -NT - (ChrisR)
                                                                                         I would have to look at the nature of the data -NT - (tablizer) - (16)
                                                                                             Are you kidding?? - (admin) - (15)
                                                                                                 suggestion 3 - (tablizer) - (14)
                                                                                                     Re: suggestion 3 - (admin) - (13)
                                                                                                         bottleneck black box - (tablizer) - (12)
                                                                                                             Storing Dictionary as Session variables in ASP - (ChrisR) - (8)
                                                                                                                 It has gotta go *somewhere* - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                                                                     ASP is OO - (ChrisR) - (6)
                                                                                                                         re: ASP is OO - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                                                                             ASP = COM - (ChrisR) - (4)
                                                                                                                                 re: ASP = COM - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                                                     ChiliSoft ASP - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                                                                                         Interesting terminology - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             You're probably correct convention-wise - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                             Re: bottleneck black box - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                                 how they relate - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                     Re: how they relate - (admin)
                                                                     I don't understand why you mention "eval" -NT - (FuManChu) - (6)
                                                                         re: I don't understand why you mention "eval" - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                             I get it now. - (FuManChu) - (4)
                                                                                 OO is just a (bad) reinvention of 60's databases with - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                     No. You are a proponent of OO programming. - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                                         The question that launched a thousand arguments - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                             That explains a lot - (FuManChu)

Dang a lang, dang a lang.
289 ms