IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: no no no
Yes, but if you have "x = 'my foo bar is here'", it may also pick up that message.
grep "foo.bar="

And the message tables can be used with other languages and systems.
And a text resource file can't? You're stretching.

In my experience, vast change requests may come out of left field so that there is a lot of rework to be done.
Ah, your vast experience doing internationalized systems. I see.

You don't give them database access, only access to a web application. And, it does not have to be a production system.
Ah, so now you're maintaining TWO databases for the sake of this labor-saving scheme of yours. Got it.

Besides, why is file access safer than database access? A file system *is* a database, just not a relational one.
Because the changes are being checked in and managed by me, not the guy on the other end of the wire whose only talent is converting English into Swahili.

You got it all wrong.
No, it's called "covering all bases" since you're being so vague about "might" and "doesn't necessarily" and so forth. You oh-so-conveniently didn't quote "And if you cache them, that's more coding and database maintenance overhead just to match the same functionality provided by resource files." So just exactly how does this system of yours work? Or haven't you thought it through properly? Does it issue a single select? "Not necessarily." Does it cache them on the first hit? Who knows. Does it cache them for each page? Can't tell you.

So we should chuck databases and go back to flat files to manage everything? How 1960's of you. The bigger the project, the more a database HELPS! Keeping tons of attributes in a bunch of hard-to-query and hard-to-find flat files is really annoyining.
No, but they're damn nifty for internationalized messages. How very binary of you.

"hard to query" Er, no. Got grep or find? Got an editor? Everyone does. Better that than "oh, to work on the messages you need to set up ODBC like so, and install Access, and search for them here like this. Oh, wait, you wanted to see the messages in QA, not DEV? Well, you need a different ODBC source then..." Seems to me the database version is a lot more of a pain in the ass for someone who just wants to edit a bit of text.

"hard to find" Care to back this up? They're right there in the same place as the JSP files that use them, as opposed to way off in database land, completely unrelated to the code that references the messages. Seems to me the database version is a lot more of a pain in the ass for someone who just wants to edit a bit of text.

How about this. We start out with a file-based approach. If message management becomes a headache, then we DB-tize the config file generation. Deal?
What's this "we", Kemosabe? Message management hasn't become a headache yet. You've not demonstrated that it will be, and given that you have no experience in the matter... and since I'm working on a system right now that has nearly 2000 similar text resource files, I'll keep my own counsel on that one, capicé?
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Doing my part to promote right shifting
Perhaps you've already explained in this thread and I missed it, but.....

Was wondering why your putting internationalization in the board. I've been putting off internationalization in my current app, mostly due to Sarbanes-Oxley being U.S. centric. Sooner or later I'm going to have to tackle it, as some of our customers have to get sign offs from far away lands (europe, china, etc). So I fully understand that it is a requirement for a lot (if not most) business apps these days.

Just wondering what you are trying to leverage on zIWETHEY?

(For example, does it make Nadsat or Guido easier to implement?)
New "Oh goody, a new framework for xmas!"
Was wondering why your putting internationalization in the board.....Just wondering what you are trying to leverage on zIWETHEY?

Isn't it obvious?: To make competing with his features harder for me. His whole life revolves around kicking p/r's ass :-)
Not really. I do that before breakfast and then go on to get real work done the rest of the day... ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Internationalization (new thread)
Created as new thread #156729 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=156729|Internationalization]
Regards,

-scott anderson

New admin
grep "foo.bar="

That's the point: you have to keep sticking conditions in there as you encounter problems. And, what if there are spaces around the equal sign? A bigger and bigger regex for each new variation encountered.

And a text resource file can't? You're stretching.

I know that most languages can reference the common RDBMS. I don't have to keep reinventing the same parsing in different languages.

Ah, your vast experience doing internationalized systems. I see.

Just because you've done one or two does not mean you have encountered all possible request permutations.

Ah, so now you're maintaining TWO databases for the sake of this labor-saving scheme of yours. Got it.

Coupling to your favorite everchanging frameworks is not always labor-free either.

Because the changes are being checked in and managed by me, not the guy on the other end of the wire whose only talent is converting English into Swahili.

Well, then it is not a "large project".

So just exactly how does this system of yours work? Or haven't you thought it through properly? Does it issue a single select? "Not necessarily." Does it cache them on the first hit? Who knows. Does it cache them for each page? Can't tell you.

The optimum solution depends on a lot of things, for example whether we are using a dynamic or static language, whether performance is more important than developer labor, whether it is web-based, etc.

"hard to find" Care to back this up? They're right there in the same place as the JSP files that use them, as opposed to way off in database land, completely unrelated to the code that references the messages.

So lets put everything in code and forget databases. New employee? Don't put them into a database, but rather code up an XML file. Replace Oracle with XML. Yeah, that's progress.

Created as new thread #156741 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=156741|Resource files]
Regards,

-scott anderson

Have I mentioned lately that Python is BITCHIN??? - (FuManChu) - (167)
         The solution is to toss OO to begin with, not Python - (tablizer) - (166)
             Re: The solution is to toss OO to begin with, not Python - (admin) - (11)
                 not today -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                     *BLAM BLAM* *VROOOOOooooommm.....* -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         and when you do the same? -NT - (tablizer)
                 Bloat explanation - (tablizer) - (7)
                     Not what I meant. - (admin)
                     That's a very table-centric point of view - (FuManChu) - (5)
                         Of course. Tables rock. Code is ugly. - (tablizer) - (4)
                             Snort. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                 Re: Snort - (tablizer)
                             So now you're down on "skinny" tables? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Re: So now you're down on "skinny" tables? - (tablizer)
             Not sure what you're pushing for. - (FuManChu) - (153)
                 Software engineering is gambling - (tablizer) - (152)
                     The only thing this app does is business modeling. -NT - (FuManChu) - (151)
                         I meant showing me code, not anecdotes -NT - (tablizer) - (150)
                             Ironic, considering how much code *you* have shown... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                 Wonder how the L Compiler is getting on? -NT - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                     It's Late. - (admin) - (5)
                                         I was wondering where the L it was. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         The P game - (tablizer) - (3)
                                             Re: The P game - (admin) - (2)
                                                 you still have no evidence of betterment - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                     No, you compare it. - (admin)
                                 The burden of evidence is on you - (tablizer) - (1)
                                     And what claim did I ever make? - (ben_tilly)
                             Well, here's the thing - (FuManChu) - (139)
                                 Unicorns - (tablizer) - (138)
                                     OT: Have you been reading Groklaw tonight too? - (Another Scott)
                                     General description - (FuManChu) - (136)
                                         SQL wrapper? - (tablizer) - (135)
                                             Generic SQL wrapper API - (admin) - (30)
                                                 I see bloated people - (tablizer) - (29)
                                                     Er... - (admin) - (19)
                                                         re: Er... - (tablizer) - (18)
                                                             Nice attempt - (admin) - (17)
                                                                 re: Nice attempt - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                     re: Nice attempt - (admin) - (12)
                                                                         Forgot to add: - (admin)
                                                                         Aieee! Actual code! HOW DARE YOU!!! -NT - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                                             Making it interesting - (ChrisR) - (9)
                                                                                 Heh. I think Bryce would rather have someone else write it - (FuManChu)
                                                                                 Don't you know? - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                 Putting words in my mouth - (tablizer) - (6)
                                                                                     Actually, what you said was: - (admin)
                                                                                     Re: Putting words in my mouth - (admin)
                                                                                     Code Talks. Bryce Walks. - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                         I shall consider it -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                             Thanks. - (ChrisR)
                                                                                             If you don't... - (admin)
                                                                 RE: Are you willing to admit this yet? - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                     Even OO fans are mixed about OR-mappers - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                         Looks pretty specific. - (admin)
                                                     In Dejavu, one would write: - (FuManChu) - (8)
                                                         Re: In Dejavu, one would write: - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                                                             An earlier version was like that. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                 Forgot: code links - (FuManChu)
                                                         ICLRPD - (drewk)
                                                         Why learn and/or create another query language? - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                             In case you missed it: - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                                                 only for the trivial - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                     There are multiple ways of doing that... - (FuManChu)
                                             LCD *for my framework* - (FuManChu) - (103)
                                                 RDBMS > "data store" - (tablizer) - (102)
                                                     Re: RDBMS > "data store" - (admin) - (92)
                                                         still have not justified yet another tool/layers - (tablizer) - (91)
                                                             Re: still have not justified yet another tool/layers - (admin) - (90)
                                                                 before and after - (tablizer) - (89)
                                                                     Re: before and after - (admin) - (88)
                                                                         Then why have an OR-mapper middleman? -NT - (tablizer) - (87)
                                                                             Because: - (admin) - (86)
                                                                                 I forgot about query caching--a big part of my other app. -NT - (FuManChu)
                                                                                 Those are problems that OO introduces - (tablizer) - (84)
                                                                                     Re: Those are problems that OO introduces - (admin) - (83)
                                                                                         response - (tablizer) - (82)
                                                                                             Re: response 1 - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                 Looks like a lot of beurOOcracy to me - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                     Not claiming "victory" - (admin)
                                                                                                     Let's see your version, then. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                                                             Re: response 2 - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                 Re Re: response 2 - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                     HQL is a superset of SQL - (admin) - (13)
                                                                                                         re: HQL is a superset of SQL - (tablizer) - (12)
                                                                                                             re: HQL is a superset of SQL - (admin) - (11)
                                                                                                                 Forced to use A to get B? Tsk tsk tsk. How MS of them. -NT - (tablizer) - (10)
                                                                                                                     You miss the point, anyway. - (admin) - (9)
                                                                                                                         I am not necessarily disagreeing with that here - (tablizer) - (8)
                                                                                                                             Re: I am not necessarily disagreeing with that here - (admin) - (7)
                                                                                                                                 not my burden of evidence - (tablizer) - (6)
                                                                                                                                     Wrong. - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         exist != good - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             Existence beats Non-Existence -NT - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                                                             I've already shown you. - (admin)
                                                                                                                                     Hm. So I can make any claim and force you to prove me wrong? - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Actually, what he said was: - (admin)
                                                                                                     Persistence vs. reporting - (admin)
                                                                                             Re: response 3 - (admin) - (55)
                                                                                                 Re Re: response 3 - (tablizer) - (54)
                                                                                                     Caching - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                         Re: caching - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                             Er, no it isn't. - (admin)
                                                                                                     Serial changes - (admin) - (50)
                                                                                                         "Bound" fields - (tablizer) - (49)
                                                                                                             No, no integration. - (admin) - (48)
                                                                                                                 re: No integration - (tablizer) - (47)
                                                                                                                     re: No integration - (admin) - (46)
                                                                                                                         So you want to see an Iwethey clone? - (tablizer) - (45)
                                                                                                                             I'd prefer you answer the points first. - (admin) - (44)
                                                                                                                                 We need code, not brochure-talk, to settle this - (tablizer) - (43)
                                                                                                                                     Re: We need code, not brochure-talk, to settle this - (admin) - (42)
                                                                                                                                         Is that part of iwethey? -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             Yes. -NT - (admin)
                                                                                                                                         questions and comments - (tablizer) - (39)
                                                                                                                                             Reading comprehension? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                 What is your complaint? - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                     Why not eliminate everything that is only a bonus? - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                                             Then don't bother. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                                                 Fine. It is not "bloated". Just unknown. - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                                                     That's all I needed. - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                         Probably not telling you anything you don't already know... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                             I take it you mean... - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                 Yep = That's what I meant - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                                                                             Re: Probably not telling you anything you don't already know - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                 My memory is too taxed - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                                                                                 Memory Lane - (tablizer)
                                                                                                                                                         re: That's all I needed. - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                             re: That's all I needed. - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                     Caching - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                     Login checks and declarative processing - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                         re: Login checks and declarative processing - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                             re: Login checks and declarative processing - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                 re re: Login checks and declarative processing - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Login checks and declarative processing (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                                                                             I18N - (admin) - (18)
                                                                                                                                                 You are WRONG! - (tablizer) - (17)
                                                                                                                                                     My my, I touched a raw nerve, apparently. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                                                         Grep is no substitute for clean, normalized data - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                                                             Re: Grep is no substitute for clean, normalized data - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                                                                                                 Depends on the scale - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                                                                                                                     You've never used CVS either, have you? -NT - (FuManChu) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                         No, only MS sourcesafe -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                             *shudder* - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                 Not my pickings -NT - (tablizer)
                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Depends on the scale - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                                         no no no - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: no no no - (admin) - (6)
                                                                                                                                                                                 Doing my part to promote right shifting - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                                     "Oh goody, a new framework for xmas!" - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: "Oh goody, a new framework for xmas!" - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                                                     Internationalization (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                                                 admin - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                     Resource files (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                             Re: response 4 - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                 Lock-in is lock-in - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                     Query caching is a feature of JDBC - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                         Yes - (tablizer)
                                                                                             Re: response 5 - (admin)
                                                     Most of those are problems, not solutions. - (FuManChu) - (8)
                                                         intense DBA and RDBMS bashing - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                             ..heh. Only because they deserve it. ;) - (FuManChu) - (6)
                                                                 re: Only because they deserve it. - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                     I assume you already expect my response: - (FuManChu) - (4)
                                                                         I will agree that... - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                             I've never claimed that _every_ O-R mapper is chicken soup - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                                                                 Most people can at least read Python within 5 minutes. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                     Whatever -NT - (tablizer)

Someone take over before I lose my dignity.
337 ms