IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Grep is no substitute for clean, normalized data
It's pretty plain to me that you don't understand the issues here.

The context of that has appearently been deleted. Some were proposing translations using phrase look-ups. Even the links given did not use direct phrase lookups.

How is this name calling?

You accused me of "inabability to grasp the issues" without giving specifics. Even if true, the diplomatic way to say it is, "I beleive you are incorrect with regard to point X" rather than some sweeping generalization. Your people skills are even worse than mine, and that is saying something.

I've been perfectly civil

Bull. See above. Even if you think somebody is a total retard, it is improper to inform them of such judgement. One should point out specific things to complain about, not sweeping or vague generalizations.

If you know of a specific use-case that busts my proposed solution, you are by all means welcomed to produce it.

grep is your friend.

That is a hacky approach. Tables are safer.

Neither do I. That's why I use resource files.

Hardly better than source code files.

Why would anyone want to do this? You don't understand the problem set.

That is nature of the biz world: you cannot predict ahead of time how somebody is going to want to see/query something.

And databases make shitty code.

Translation lookup tables are not "code". Even the VB resource file example calls them "tables".
That is a general statement. Provide specifics.

Hardly better than source code files.
In what way? They're a specific solution for a limited problem.

some.string=The specific string for a message.

How is the above "hardly better than source code"?

I'll go you one better, in fact: how do you maintain database information over revisions? Keeping this in the database isn't sufficient when you have several database environments (Dev, Test, QA, Prod for example). Text resource files are amenable to revision control via common source code control tools.

Translation lookup tables are not "code".
And neither are resource files.

That is nature of the biz world: you cannot predict ahead of time how somebody is going to want to see/query something.
Especially if you've never done an internationalized application, which I'm guessing (by your non-response) that you haven't. Those who have understand that this simply isn't a requirement. You're inventing problems in order to provide your "solution". And since your solution adds extra complexity in the form of database access (or code generation) for no material gain, it is inferior.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Depends on the scale
{That is a hacky approach. Tables are safer.} That is a general statement. Provide specifics.

You generally don't have to parse to isolate the "atoms". Unless you always provide a perfect parsing specification, there is a chance of getting it wrong. The "walls" are predefined for us so that we don't have to find them over and over.

I'll go you one better, in fact: how do you maintain database information over revisions? Keeping this in the database isn't sufficient when you have several database environments (Dev, Test, QA, Prod for example). Text resource files are amenable to revision control via common source code control tools.

I will agree that the existing crop of revision control tools are designed for files and not databases (although I have not done a survey yet). However, tables make it easier to roll-your-own. Plus, one can have more control over individual messages. See below.

I am just too damned far ahead of my time :-)

Especially if you've never done an internationalized application, which I'm guessing (by your non-response) that you haven't. Those who have understand that this simply isn't a requirement. You're inventing problems in order to provide your "solution". And since your solution adds extra complexity in the form of database access (or code generation) for no material gain, it is inferior.

No, I have not done formal internationalization. But, how large was the project(s) you did? A tablized solution probably would not be practical unless you have say 20+ languages and 1000+ messages (per lang). Files are fine for smaller stuff. I never disputed that here.

I am pretty sure there is a size-point in which you agree that files won't cut it anymore. For example, suppose most of the translators work offshore (which is expected for language translation). One may want a web-site where they log into and review and change messages. Doing that at a file granularity is a bit messy. Through such a portal we can fairly easily track which messages were changed by who and when. That can be done with files, but it takes a lot of Diff commands.

You also make it sound as if tables are hard to use and bulky for internal stuff. Somebody used to XBase stuff will generally disagree.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Not my pickings
You generally don't have to parse to isolate the "atoms". Unless you always provide a perfect parsing specification, there is a chance of getting it wrong. The "walls" are predefined for us so that we don't have to find them over and over.
foo.bar=Foo the bar\nmoo.gar=Moo the gar
grep "foo.bar" finds all instances of the "foo.bar" message. You're inventing problems where none exist.

I will agree that the existing crop of revision control tools are designed for files and not databases (although I have not done a survey yet). However, tables make it easier to roll-your-own. Plus, one can have more control over individual messages.
I'm not interested in "rolling my own". I'm interested in getting work done. If your approach provides no tangible benefits, and in fact has some disadvantages as I have named, why in the name of seven Hades would I "roll my own" just to get to the same level of functionality I already had?

I am pretty sure there is a size-point in which you agree that files won't cut it anymore.
I don't see why. One file per message set per language. No overhead. If it's farmed out, give them the English version and say, "translate this". Once the bulk job is done, changes will be minor and are best handled through existing revision control tools. And I certainly wouldn't give a bunch of people located off-shore access to a database used by the production system.

The management becomes harder the larger the system becomes, mainly due to the multiple environments I mentioned.

You also make it sound as if tables are hard to use and bulky for internal stuff. Somebody used to XBase stuff will generally disagree.
Something that large isn't using XBase, I can guarantee you. And they are bulkier and harder to use than resource files.

Here's an example:
\n<bean id="messageSource" class="org.springframework.context.support.ResourceBundleMessageSource">\n\t<property name="basename"><value>Messages</value></property>\n</bean>
That's what I do in the config file to load my resource files. When I want to use a message, I do this:
<fmt:message key="some.key"/>
That inserts it into the JSP file. Whoopdee doo, that's so incredibly hard. I must be high if I think that's better than a bunch of SQL select statements.

And calling into a remote database for thousands of strings isn't practical. And if you cache them, that's more coding and database maintenance overhead just to match the same functionality provided by resource files.

Pre-compiling involves the database in the compilation step, which is also useless overhead and harder to manage.

Have you actually worked on a large-scale system? Say something with a few hundred tables, a million lines of stored procedures, and millions of rows of dynamic data? The kind of thing you're proposing introduces unneeded, unwanted complexity into an already complex system.
Regards,

-scott anderson

New no no no
grep "foo.bar" finds all instances of the "foo.bar" message.

Yes, but if you have "x = 'my foo bar is here'", it may also pick up that message.

and in fact has some disadvantages as I have named

Very minor.

And the message tables can be used with other languages and systems.

Once the bulk job is done, changes will be minor and are best handled through existing revision control tools.

In my experience, vast change requests may come out of left field so that there is a lot of rework to be done.

And I certainly wouldn't give a bunch of people located off-shore access to a database used by the production system.

You don't give them database access, only access to a web application. And, it does not have to be a production system. Besides, why is file access safer than database access? A file system *is* a database, just not a relational one.

Something that large isn't using XBase, I can guarantee you. And they are bulkier and harder to use than resource files.

I am not necessarily talking about the production application language. One can build tools in a different language than final applications.

I must be high if I think that's better than a bunch of SQL select statements. And calling into a remote database for thousands of strings isn't practical.

You got it all wrong. Each message does not necessarily issue a Select statement.

Have you actually worked on a large-scale system? Say something with a few hundred tables, a million lines of stored procedures, and millions of rows of dynamic data? The kind of thing you're proposing introduces unneeded, unwanted complexity into an already complex system.

So we should chuck databases and go back to flat files to manage everything? How 1960's of you. The bigger the project, the more a database HELPS! Keeping tons of attributes in a bunch of hard-to-query and hard-to-find flat files is really annoyining.

How about this. We start out with a file-based approach. If message management becomes a headache, then we DB-tize the config file generation. Deal?
grep "foo.bar="

And the message tables can be used with other languages and systems.
And a text resource file can't? You're stretching.

In my experience, vast change requests may come out of left field so that there is a lot of rework to be done.
Ah, your vast experience doing internationalized systems. I see.

You don't give them database access, only access to a web application. And, it does not have to be a production system.
Ah, so now you're maintaining TWO databases for the sake of this labor-saving scheme of yours. Got it.

Besides, why is file access safer than database access? A file system *is* a database, just not a relational one.
Because the changes are being checked in and managed by me, not the guy on the other end of the wire whose only talent is converting English into Swahili.

You got it all wrong.
No, it's called "covering all bases" since you're being so vague about "might" and "doesn't necessarily" and so forth. You oh-so-conveniently didn't quote "And if you cache them, that's more coding and database maintenance overhead just to match the same functionality provided by resource files." So just exactly how does this system of yours work? Or haven't you thought it through properly? Does it issue a single select? "Not necessarily." Does it cache them on the first hit? Who knows. Does it cache them for each page? Can't tell you.

So we should chuck databases and go back to flat files to manage everything? How 1960's of you. The bigger the project, the more a database HELPS! Keeping tons of attributes in a bunch of hard-to-query and hard-to-find flat files is really annoyining.
No, but they're damn nifty for internationalized messages. How very binary of you.

"hard to query" Er, no. Got grep or find? Got an editor? Everyone does. Better that than "oh, to work on the messages you need to set up ODBC like so, and install Access, and search for them here like this. Oh, wait, you wanted to see the messages in QA, not DEV? Well, you need a different ODBC source then..." Seems to me the database version is a lot more of a pain in the ass for someone who just wants to edit a bit of text.

"hard to find" Care to back this up? They're right there in the same place as the JSP files that use them, as opposed to way off in database land, completely unrelated to the code that references the messages. Seems to me the database version is a lot more of a pain in the ass for someone who just wants to edit a bit of text.

How about this. We start out with a file-based approach. If message management becomes a headache, then we DB-tize the config file generation. Deal?
What's this "we", Kemosabe? Message management hasn't become a headache yet. You've not demonstrated that it will be, and given that you have no experience in the matter... and since I'm working on a system right now that has nearly 2000 similar text resource files, I'll keep my own counsel on that one, capicé?
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Doing my part to promote right shifting
Perhaps you've already explained in this thread and I missed it, but.....

Was wondering why your putting internationalization in the board. I've been putting off internationalization in my current app, mostly due to Sarbanes-Oxley being U.S. centric. Sooner or later I'm going to have to tackle it, as some of our customers have to get sign offs from far away lands (europe, china, etc). So I fully understand that it is a requirement for a lot (if not most) business apps these days.

Just wondering what you are trying to leverage on zIWETHEY?

(For example, does it make Nadsat or Guido easier to implement?)
New "Oh goody, a new framework for xmas!"
Was wondering why your putting internationalization in the board.....Just wondering what you are trying to leverage on zIWETHEY?

Isn't it obvious?: To make competing with his features harder for me. His whole life revolves around kicking p/r's ass :-)
Not really. I do that before breakfast and then go on to get real work done the rest of the day... ;-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

New Internationalization (new thread)
Created as new thread #156729 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=156729|Internationalization]
Regards,

-scott anderson

New admin
grep "foo.bar="

That's the point: you have to keep sticking conditions in there as you encounter problems. And, what if there are spaces around the equal sign? A bigger and bigger regex for each new variation encountered.

And a text resource file can't? You're stretching.

I know that most languages can reference the common RDBMS. I don't have to keep reinventing the same parsing in different languages.

Ah, your vast experience doing internationalized systems. I see.

Just because you've done one or two does not mean you have encountered all possible request permutations.

Ah, so now you're maintaining TWO databases for the sake of this labor-saving scheme of yours. Got it.

Coupling to your favorite everchanging frameworks is not always labor-free either.

Because the changes are being checked in and managed by me, not the guy on the other end of the wire whose only talent is converting English into Swahili.

Well, then it is not a "large project".

So just exactly how does this system of yours work? Or haven't you thought it through properly? Does it issue a single select? "Not necessarily." Does it cache them on the first hit? Who knows. Does it cache them for each page? Can't tell you.

The optimum solution depends on a lot of things, for example whether we are using a dynamic or static language, whether performance is more important than developer labor, whether it is web-based, etc.

"hard to find" Care to back this up? They're right there in the same place as the JSP files that use them, as opposed to way off in database land, completely unrelated to the code that references the messages.

So lets put everything in code and forget databases. New employee? Don't put them into a database, but rather code up an XML file. Replace Oracle with XML. Yeah, that's progress.

Created as new thread #156741 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=156741|Resource files]
Regards,

-scott anderson

Have I mentioned lately that Python is BITCHIN??? - (FuManChu) - (167)
         The solution is to toss OO to begin with, not Python - (tablizer) - (166)
             Re: The solution is to toss OO to begin with, not Python - (admin) - (11)
                 not today -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                     *BLAM BLAM* *VROOOOOooooommm.....* -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         and when you do the same? -NT - (tablizer)
                 Bloat explanation - (tablizer) - (7)
                     Not what I meant. - (admin)
                     That's a very table-centric point of view - (FuManChu) - (5)
                         Of course. Tables rock. Code is ugly. - (tablizer) - (4)
                             Snort. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                 Re: Snort - (tablizer)
                             So now you're down on "skinny" tables? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Re: So now you're down on "skinny" tables? - (tablizer)
             Not sure what you're pushing for. - (FuManChu) - (153)
                 Software engineering is gambling - (tablizer) - (152)
                     The only thing this app does is business modeling. -NT - (FuManChu) - (151)
                         I meant showing me code, not anecdotes -NT - (tablizer) - (150)
                             Ironic, considering how much code *you* have shown... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                 Wonder how the L Compiler is getting on? -NT - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                     It's Late. - (admin) - (5)
                                         I was wondering where the L it was. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         The P game - (tablizer) - (3)
                                             Re: The P game - (admin) - (2)
                                                 you still have no evidence of betterment - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                     No, you compare it. - (admin)
                                 The burden of evidence is on you - (tablizer) - (1)
                                     And what claim did I ever make? - (ben_tilly)
                             Well, here's the thing - (FuManChu) - (139)
                                 Unicorns - (tablizer) - (138)
                                     OT: Have you been reading Groklaw tonight too? - (Another Scott)
                                     General description - (FuManChu) - (136)
                                         SQL wrapper? - (tablizer) - (135)
                                             Generic SQL wrapper API - (admin) - (30)
                                                 I see bloated people - (tablizer) - (29)
                                                     Er... - (admin) - (19)
                                                         re: Er... - (tablizer) - (18)
                                                             Nice attempt - (admin) - (17)
                                                                 re: Nice attempt - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                     re: Nice attempt - (admin) - (12)
                                                                         Forgot to add: - (admin)
                                                                         Aieee! Actual code! HOW DARE YOU!!! -NT - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                                             Making it interesting - (ChrisR) - (9)
                                                                                 Heh. I think Bryce would rather have someone else write it - (FuManChu)
                                                                                 Don't you know? - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                 Putting words in my mouth - (tablizer) - (6)
                                                                                     Actually, what you said was: - (admin)
                                                                                     Re: Putting words in my mouth - (admin)
                                                                                     Code Talks. Bryce Walks. - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                         I shall consider it -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                             Thanks. - (ChrisR)
                                                                                             If you don't... - (admin)
                                                                 RE: Are you willing to admit this yet? - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                     Even OO fans are mixed about OR-mappers - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                         Looks pretty specific. - (admin)
                                                     In Dejavu, one would write: - (FuManChu) - (8)
                                                         Re: In Dejavu, one would write: - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                                                             An earlier version was like that. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                 Forgot: code links - (FuManChu)
                                                         ICLRPD - (drewk)
                                                         Why learn and/or create another query language? - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                             In case you missed it: - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                                                 only for the trivial - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                     There are multiple ways of doing that... - (FuManChu)
                                             LCD *for my framework* - (FuManChu) - (103)
                                                 RDBMS > "data store" - (tablizer) - (102)
                                                     Re: RDBMS > "data store" - (admin) - (92)
                                                         still have not justified yet another tool/layers - (tablizer) - (91)
                                                             Re: still have not justified yet another tool/layers - (admin) - (90)
                                                                 before and after - (tablizer) - (89)
                                                                     Re: before and after - (admin) - (88)
                                                                         Then why have an OR-mapper middleman? -NT - (tablizer) - (87)
                                                                             Because: - (admin) - (86)
                                                                                 I forgot about query caching--a big part of my other app. -NT - (FuManChu)
                                                                                 Those are problems that OO introduces - (tablizer) - (84)
                                                                                     Re: Those are problems that OO introduces - (admin) - (83)
                                                                                         response - (tablizer) - (82)
                                                                                             Re: response 1 - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                 Looks like a lot of beurOOcracy to me - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                     Not claiming "victory" - (admin)
                                                                                                     Let's see your version, then. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                                                             Re: response 2 - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                 Re Re: response 2 - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                     HQL is a superset of SQL - (admin) - (13)
                                                                                                         re: HQL is a superset of SQL - (tablizer) - (12)
                                                                                                             re: HQL is a superset of SQL - (admin) - (11)
                                                                                                                 Forced to use A to get B? Tsk tsk tsk. How MS of them. -NT - (tablizer) - (10)
                                                                                                                     You miss the point, anyway. - (admin) - (9)
                                                                                                                         I am not necessarily disagreeing with that here - (tablizer) - (8)
                                                                                                                             Re: I am not necessarily disagreeing with that here - (admin) - (7)
                                                                                                                                 not my burden of evidence - (tablizer) - (6)
                                                                                                                                     Wrong. - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         exist != good - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             Existence beats Non-Existence -NT - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                                                             I've already shown you. - (admin)
                                                                                                                                     Hm. So I can make any claim and force you to prove me wrong? - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Actually, what he said was: - (admin)
                                                                                                     Persistence vs. reporting - (admin)
                                                                                             Re: response 3 - (admin) - (55)
                                                                                                 Re Re: response 3 - (tablizer) - (54)
                                                                                                     Caching - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                         Re: caching - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                             Er, no it isn't. - (admin)
                                                                                                     Serial changes - (admin) - (50)
                                                                                                         "Bound" fields - (tablizer) - (49)
                                                                                                             No, no integration. - (admin) - (48)
                                                                                                                 re: No integration - (tablizer) - (47)
                                                                                                                     re: No integration - (admin) - (46)
                                                                                                                         So you want to see an Iwethey clone? - (tablizer) - (45)
                                                                                                                             I'd prefer you answer the points first. - (admin) - (44)
                                                                                                                                 We need code, not brochure-talk, to settle this - (tablizer) - (43)
                                                                                                                                     Re: We need code, not brochure-talk, to settle this - (admin) - (42)
                                                                                                                                         Is that part of iwethey? -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             Yes. -NT - (admin)
                                                                                                                                         questions and comments - (tablizer) - (39)
                                                                                                                                             Reading comprehension? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                 What is your complaint? - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                     Why not eliminate everything that is only a bonus? - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                                             Then don't bother. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                                                 Fine. It is not "bloated". Just unknown. - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                                                     That's all I needed. - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                         Probably not telling you anything you don't already know... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                             I take it you mean... - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                 Yep = That's what I meant - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                                                                             Re: Probably not telling you anything you don't already know - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                 My memory is too taxed - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                                                                                 Memory Lane - (tablizer)
                                                                                                                                                         re: That's all I needed. - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                             re: That's all I needed. - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                     Caching - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                     Login checks and declarative processing - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                         re: Login checks and declarative processing - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                             re: Login checks and declarative processing - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                 re re: Login checks and declarative processing - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Login checks and declarative processing (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                                                                             I18N - (admin) - (18)
                                                                                                                                                 You are WRONG! - (tablizer) - (17)
                                                                                                                                                     My my, I touched a raw nerve, apparently. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                                                         Grep is no substitute for clean, normalized data - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                                                             Re: Grep is no substitute for clean, normalized data - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                                                                                                 Depends on the scale - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                                                                                                                     You've never used CVS either, have you? -NT - (FuManChu) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                         No, only MS sourcesafe -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                             *shudder* - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                 Not my pickings -NT - (tablizer)
                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Depends on the scale - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                                         no no no - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: no no no - (admin) - (6)
                                                                                                                                                                                 Doing my part to promote right shifting - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                                     "Oh goody, a new framework for xmas!" - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: "Oh goody, a new framework for xmas!" - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                                                     Internationalization (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                                                 admin - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                     Resource files (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                             Re: response 4 - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                 Lock-in is lock-in - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                     Query caching is a feature of JDBC - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                         Yes - (tablizer)
                                                                                             Re: response 5 - (admin)
                                                     Most of those are problems, not solutions. - (FuManChu) - (8)
                                                         intense DBA and RDBMS bashing - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                             ..heh. Only because they deserve it. ;) - (FuManChu) - (6)
                                                                 re: Only because they deserve it. - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                     I assume you already expect my response: - (FuManChu) - (4)
                                                                         I will agree that... - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                             I've never claimed that _every_ O-R mapper is chicken soup - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                                                                 Most people can at least read Python within 5 minutes. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                     Whatever -NT - (tablizer)

Dude?
165 ms