IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've never claimed that _every_ O-R mapper is chicken soup
Note that liking OO does not mean you automatically know a given O-R framework off the mark.

True, but when it's bloody simple... the Dejavu "O-R framework" comes down to:

1. Units, which you subclass for your core data, and which only have three methods most app developers will use:
    a. set_property (a classmethod)
    b. memorize (makes a new Unit object persistent)
    c. forget (destroys a Unit)

and

2. A namespace, which manages Units. That only has three methods:
    a. associate(class, key, far_class, far_key), which oddly enough associates two Unit classes;
    b. recall(class, expression), and
    c. unit(class, ID=?), both of which retrieve Units

and

3. logic.Expression(<Python expression>), which makes an object out of an expression.

...all Python, all the time. I admit that if you've done all your OO in Java, then you have to learn Python to use Dejavu. But c.l.p. is replete with stories of programmers, both novices and experts, picking up 95% of Python within a week or two--it's designed to be easy to learn, natural, and expressive.

I don't see any of this as "bloatware".
New Most people can at least read Python within 5 minutes.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Whatever
             Re: The solution is to toss OO to begin with, not Python - (admin) - (11)
                 not today -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                     *BLAM BLAM* *VROOOOOooooommm.....* -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         and when you do the same? -NT - (tablizer)
                 Bloat explanation - (tablizer) - (7)
                     Not what I meant. - (admin)
                     That's a very table-centric point of view - (FuManChu) - (5)
                         Of course. Tables rock. Code is ugly. - (tablizer) - (4)
                             Snort. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                 Re: Snort - (tablizer)
                             So now you're down on "skinny" tables? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 Re: So now you're down on "skinny" tables? - (tablizer)
             Not sure what you're pushing for. - (FuManChu) - (153)
                 Software engineering is gambling - (tablizer) - (152)
                     The only thing this app does is business modeling. -NT - (FuManChu) - (151)
                         I meant showing me code, not anecdotes -NT - (tablizer) - (150)
                             Ironic, considering how much code *you* have shown... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (9)
                                 Wonder how the L Compiler is getting on? -NT - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                     It's Late. - (admin) - (5)
                                         I was wondering where the L it was. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                         The P game - (tablizer) - (3)
                                             Re: The P game - (admin) - (2)
                                                 you still have no evidence of betterment - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                     No, you compare it. - (admin)
                                 The burden of evidence is on you - (tablizer) - (1)
                                     And what claim did I ever make? - (ben_tilly)
                             Well, here's the thing - (FuManChu) - (139)
                                 Unicorns - (tablizer) - (138)
                                     OT: Have you been reading Groklaw tonight too? - (Another Scott)
                                     General description - (FuManChu) - (136)
                                         SQL wrapper? - (tablizer) - (135)
                                             Generic SQL wrapper API - (admin) - (30)
                                                 I see bloated people - (tablizer) - (29)
                                                     Er... - (admin) - (19)
                                                         re: Er... - (tablizer) - (18)
                                                             Nice attempt - (admin) - (17)
                                                                 re: Nice attempt - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                     re: Nice attempt - (admin) - (12)
                                                                         Forgot to add: - (admin)
                                                                         Aieee! Actual code! HOW DARE YOU!!! -NT - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                                             Making it interesting - (ChrisR) - (9)
                                                                                 Heh. I think Bryce would rather have someone else write it - (FuManChu)
                                                                                 Don't you know? - (Arkadiy)
                                                                                 Putting words in my mouth - (tablizer) - (6)
                                                                                     Actually, what you said was: - (admin)
                                                                                     Re: Putting words in my mouth - (admin)
                                                                                     Code Talks. Bryce Walks. - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                         I shall consider it -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                             Thanks. - (ChrisR)
                                                                                             If you don't... - (admin)
                                                                 RE: Are you willing to admit this yet? - (ChrisR) - (2)
                                                                     Even OO fans are mixed about OR-mappers - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                         Looks pretty specific. - (admin)
                                                     In Dejavu, one would write: - (FuManChu) - (8)
                                                         Re: In Dejavu, one would write: - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                                                             An earlier version was like that. - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                 Forgot: code links - (FuManChu)
                                                         ICLRPD - (drewk)
                                                         Why learn and/or create another query language? - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                             In case you missed it: - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                                                 only for the trivial - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                     There are multiple ways of doing that... - (FuManChu)
                                             LCD *for my framework* - (FuManChu) - (103)
                                                 RDBMS > "data store" - (tablizer) - (102)
                                                     Re: RDBMS > "data store" - (admin) - (92)
                                                         still have not justified yet another tool/layers - (tablizer) - (91)
                                                             Re: still have not justified yet another tool/layers - (admin) - (90)
                                                                 before and after - (tablizer) - (89)
                                                                     Re: before and after - (admin) - (88)
                                                                         Then why have an OR-mapper middleman? -NT - (tablizer) - (87)
                                                                             Because: - (admin) - (86)
                                                                                 I forgot about query caching--a big part of my other app. -NT - (FuManChu)
                                                                                 Those are problems that OO introduces - (tablizer) - (84)
                                                                                     Re: Those are problems that OO introduces - (admin) - (83)
                                                                                         response - (tablizer) - (82)
                                                                                             Re: response 1 - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                 Looks like a lot of beurOOcracy to me - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                     Not claiming "victory" - (admin)
                                                                                                     Let's see your version, then. -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                                                             Re: response 2 - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                 Re Re: response 2 - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                     HQL is a superset of SQL - (admin) - (13)
                                                                                                         re: HQL is a superset of SQL - (tablizer) - (12)
                                                                                                             re: HQL is a superset of SQL - (admin) - (11)
                                                                                                                 Forced to use A to get B? Tsk tsk tsk. How MS of them. -NT - (tablizer) - (10)
                                                                                                                     You miss the point, anyway. - (admin) - (9)
                                                                                                                         I am not necessarily disagreeing with that here - (tablizer) - (8)
                                                                                                                             Re: I am not necessarily disagreeing with that here - (admin) - (7)
                                                                                                                                 not my burden of evidence - (tablizer) - (6)
                                                                                                                                     Wrong. - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                                                         exist != good - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                             Existence beats Non-Existence -NT - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                                                             I've already shown you. - (admin)
                                                                                                                                     Hm. So I can make any claim and force you to prove me wrong? - (FuManChu) - (1)
                                                                                                                                         Actually, what he said was: - (admin)
                                                                                                     Persistence vs. reporting - (admin)
                                                                                             Re: response 3 - (admin) - (55)
                                                                                                 Re Re: response 3 - (tablizer) - (54)
                                                                                                     Caching - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                         Re: caching - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                             Er, no it isn't. - (admin)
                                                                                                     Serial changes - (admin) - (50)
                                                                                                         "Bound" fields - (tablizer) - (49)
                                                                                                             No, no integration. - (admin) - (48)
                                                                                                                 re: No integration - (tablizer) - (47)
                                                                                                                     re: No integration - (admin) - (46)
                                                                                                                         So you want to see an Iwethey clone? - (tablizer) - (45)
                                                                                                                             I'd prefer you answer the points first. - (admin) - (44)
                                                                                                                                 We need code, not brochure-talk, to settle this - (tablizer) - (43)
                                                                                                                                     Re: We need code, not brochure-talk, to settle this - (admin) - (42)
                                                                                                                                         Is that part of iwethey? -NT - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                             Yes. -NT - (admin)
                                                                                                                                         questions and comments - (tablizer) - (39)
                                                                                                                                             Reading comprehension? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                 What is your complaint? - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                     Why not eliminate everything that is only a bonus? - (ben_tilly)
                                                                                                                                             Then don't bother. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                                                 Fine. It is not "bloated". Just unknown. - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                                                     That's all I needed. - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                         Probably not telling you anything you don't already know... - (ChrisR) - (5)
                                                                                                                                                             I take it you mean... - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                 Yep = That's what I meant - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                                                                             Re: Probably not telling you anything you don't already know - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                 My memory is too taxed - (ChrisR)
                                                                                                                                                                 Memory Lane - (tablizer)
                                                                                                                                                         re: That's all I needed. - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                             re: That's all I needed. - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                     Caching - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                     Login checks and declarative processing - (admin) - (4)
                                                                                                                                                         re: Login checks and declarative processing - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                             re: Login checks and declarative processing - (admin) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                 re re: Login checks and declarative processing - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Login checks and declarative processing (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                                                                             I18N - (admin) - (18)
                                                                                                                                                 You are WRONG! - (tablizer) - (17)
                                                                                                                                                     My my, I touched a raw nerve, apparently. - (admin) - (16)
                                                                                                                                                         Grep is no substitute for clean, normalized data - (tablizer) - (15)
                                                                                                                                                             Re: Grep is no substitute for clean, normalized data - (admin) - (14)
                                                                                                                                                                 Depends on the scale - (tablizer) - (13)
                                                                                                                                                                     You've never used CVS either, have you? -NT - (FuManChu) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                         No, only MS sourcesafe -NT - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                                                                                             *shudder* - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                 Not my pickings -NT - (tablizer)
                                                                                                                                                                     Re: Depends on the scale - (admin) - (8)
                                                                                                                                                                         no no no - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                                                                                                                                             Re: no no no - (admin) - (6)
                                                                                                                                                                                 Doing my part to promote right shifting - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                                                                                                                                                     "Oh goody, a new framework for xmas!" - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                         Re: "Oh goody, a new framework for xmas!" - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                                                     Internationalization (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                                                                                                                 admin - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                                                                                                                                                     Resource files (new thread) - (admin)
                                                                                             Re: response 4 - (admin) - (3)
                                                                                                 Lock-in is lock-in - (tablizer) - (2)
                                                                                                     Query caching is a feature of JDBC - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                                         Yes - (tablizer)
                                                                                             Re: response 5 - (admin)
                                                     Most of those are problems, not solutions. - (FuManChu) - (8)
                                                         intense DBA and RDBMS bashing - (tablizer) - (7)
                                                             ..heh. Only because they deserve it. ;) - (FuManChu) - (6)
                                                                 re: Only because they deserve it. - (tablizer) - (5)
                                                                     I assume you already expect my response: - (FuManChu) - (4)
                                                                         I will agree that... - (tablizer) - (3)
                                                                             I've never claimed that _every_ O-R mapper is chicken soup - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                                                                 Most people can at least read Python within 5 minutes. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                                                                     Whatever -NT - (tablizer)

Impossible.
489 ms