Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New For the moment, I hold to the view that Chalabi

was a republican creation
support,
funding over the past 10-12 years,
prep for Gulf -2 when Repubs were ready which meant ousting Clinton & Dems,
also the Neocons had a ready scapegoat to blame if things went wrong.

Chalabi was to me, always blinded by his ambition in regard to Iraq & believed he was doing exactly what powerful neocon friends wanted such that he would end up in power as kingmaker in Iraq and protected by his neocon 'friends'.

Still too hard to tell if US have genuinely turned on him or are now setting him up to take the fall re no WMD. Chalabi provided the witnesses that made the case against Saddam.

Also don't forget that US set Chalabi up with a training camp in Hungary here is just 1 link (but it sumarizes aspects of the story) ...
[link|http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,876396,00.html|http://www.guardian....04,876396,00.html]

EXTRACT >>>>
3,000 Iraqi exiles to train at US base in Hungary for secret role in war

Nick Thorpe at Taszar air base, Hungary
Friday January 17, 2003
The Guardian

Up to 3,000 Iraqi exiles will begin arriving in Hungary within days for the beginning of an extraordinary US-led operation to train them for war in their homeland.
The exiles, from across the world, will converge on Taszar air base, an American supply post nestled in the countryside 200 miles from Budapest.

Dozens of khaki tents have already been erected in ground covered with midwinter snow, in preparation for the arrival of the force.

The exact nature of their training in Hungary, and the role they will be given in any US-led invasion of Iraq, is a closely guarded secret.

But yesterday, for the first time, journalists were given limited access.

American and Hungarian officials were keen to stress that the exiles were not an "army" preparing to invade Iraq.
<<<<

When it comes to Chalabi & Bush, strange goings on have been taking place.

Doug Marker

"Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!".

-- Leonardo Da Vinci
New Another view of Chalabi
[link|http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43935-2004May20.html|Jim Hoagland] from May 21 at the Washington Post:

I met Chalabi in Beirut in 1972 in the early stages of his long campaign to bring down Saddam Hussein. Going it alone and engendering controversy are nothing new for this U.S.-educated math professor, whose Amman bank was confiscated by Jordanian authorities in 1989 amid allegations of corruption.

Those allegations did not prevent the Clinton administration from approving CIA funding of Chalabi's INC organization for nearly four years in the 1990s. Only in 1997, when he went public in an interview with me about the CIA's expensive, ambivalent and failed covert efforts to overthrow the Iraqi dictator, did Chalabi become a target of agency ire, defamatory leaks and worse.

More recently Chalabi added White House staffers and occupation chief Paul Bremer to the long list of those he has offended and challenged with his domineering manner, prickly sense of nationalism and unshakable self-confidence. By coming out in open, bitter opposition to the latest U.S. transition plan and its rehabilitation of senior Baathists, Chalabi seems to have crossed a final red line.

It's obviously a supportive piece.

I don't think that Chalabi has ever had as much influence on US policy in Iraq as he wanted. Receall that he wanted to be [link|http://www.disinfopedia.org/wiki.phtml?title=Ahmed_Chalabi|put in charge of a provisional government as soon as the invasion started] (a good link, but I personally would take some of the spin there with a grain of salt). I think that would have been a disaster ("US Puppet Installed in Baghdad!") The US never moved fast enough for him. It's not as if he was the golden child and just suddenly moved into the dog house. He seems to have always had his own agenda that didn't match the US's in many respects.

I'm sure Chalabi had strong supporters in the US, some in high places, but I don't think that on the whole he was the US's man in Iraq. Reports of the INC trying to blackmail people on contracts sound plausible to me; reports of Chalabi being an Iranian agent sound far-fetched to me at this point. We'll see if more evidence appears.

It'll also be interesting to see if the INC's charges against the UN Oil for Food program have any substance in Volker's report.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Another view of Chalabi

Interesting that item only mentions Clinton funding Chalabi ?.

Bush used a military US camp in hungary to train 1000s of Chalabi's men. ???.
That does not come cheap.

No matter what - Chalabi is an enigmatic figure.

Cheers
Doug

"Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!".

-- Leonardo Da Vinci
New Hitchens on Chalabi
From [link|http://slate.msn.com/id/2101345/|Slate] on May 27:

It has now been replaced with a whole new indictment: that Chalabi tricked the United States into war, possibly on Iran's behalf, and that he has given national security secrets to Iran. The first half of this is grotesque on its face. Even if you assume the worst to be true\ufffdthat the INC's "defectors" were either mistaken or were conscious, coached fabricators\ufffdthe fact remains that the crucial presentation of the administration's case on WMD and terrorism was made at the United Nations by Secretary of State Colin Powell, with CIA Director George Tenet sitting right behind him, after those two men most hostile to Chalabi had been closeted together. Nor does the accusation about an alternative "stove pipe" of disinformation, bypassing the usual channels, hold much water (or air, or smoke). Woodward's book Plan of Attack makes it plain that the president was not very impressed with Tenet's ostensible evidence. The plain and overlooked truth is that the administration acted upon the worst assumption about Saddam Hussein and that he himself strongly confirmed the presumption of guilt by, among many other things, refusing to comply with the U.N. resolution. This was a rational decision on the part of the coalition. After all, German intelligence had reported to Chancellor Schr\ufffdder that Saddam was secretly at work on a nuke again: The French government publicly said that it believed Iraq had WMD, and even Hans Blix has stated in his book that at that point, he thought the Baathist concealment apparatus was still at work. Whoever and whatever convinced all of these discrepant forces, it was not Chalabi's INC or [link|http://slate.msn.com/id/2101294/|Judith Miller's work] in the New York Times.

It sounds conceivable to me that members of the INC were involved in blackmail, etc., in Iraq and that local issues justified the recent raid on Chalabi's home. However, I share Hitchen's skepticism of claims that Chalabi was a Rasputin who duped the US and others about Saddam, thereby somehow absolving Tenet and others (even members of Congress) of responsibility for their analysis, advice and oversight. It doesn't work that way.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Chalabi was Iranian agent? - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
         For the moment, I hold to the view that Chalabi - (dmarker) - (3)
             Another view of Chalabi - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Re: Another view of Chalabi - (dmarker)
                 Hitchens on Chalabi - (Another Scott)

We lived in Arizona, and the skies always had little fluffy clouds in them.
43 ms