IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Finished part 1 of my class, ready for part 2
We did research and statistics, I got 100% on my final exam, the rest of the grades did not come in yet. Thanks for all who helped, I also attended two statistics labs and studied 60 hours a week, reading 700 pages of the textbook in five weeks, doing problems, writing papers, working with a team, making Excel spreadsheets for projects, etc. That was part one, now a new 5 weeks starts with part 2, going even further into advanced statistics.

Hypothesis testing, ANOVA, f-curves, it just keeps getting better. ;)

I learned more about Linux, I had a Lindows server going for a while, but after I reformatted it and went with the new Linspire changes, the tools like man, gcc, make, were gone and apt-get is just a dummy program. A pity I had an Apache2 web server running, SAMBA shares, PostgreSQL and MySQL databases, and configured the firewall. Ah well, time to move on to a new distro, that is $50USD wasted to try Lindows/Linspire, but the Linspire Live CD looks spiffy. I am betting they removed those tools to force users to install software from the CNR program, which needs a $5/month access fee to download files from their online library. A pity, Linspire is easy to use and configure, but I hate to give up my freedom in order to use it. Well live and learn.

Edit: I take it back, they commented out the sources in the sources.lst file. After uncommenting them, apt-get works as it should. So I can install software without the CNR program. Now I have installed the gcc tools, I can compile programs as well. Their word on taking these tools out is that they say certain libraries won't work with Linspire and may hault the system. I think it is just a way they can limit options and sell software download services to their customers.

"What's the use of saving life when you see what you do with it?" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Expand Edited by orion May 22, 2004, 08:54:53 AM EDT
New Congrats on the test scores
Looks like you're making good progress in your career path. Keep plugging and good luck.
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Sounds like a massive amount of stuff
to cram into any brain. For me, the interest would be sorely absent; I suppose that today it is necessary to generate 'interest' enough to slog through such material. I think I couldn't fool myself.. enough. Scary, the sheer volume of trivia needed to "play" in this game. Kudos .. I think.

Nice sleuthing on the missing apt-get; fortunate that their monkey-wrench was so visible.. but still despicable and Microsoftian in ugliness. (Why at this rate, you'll have a super-tuned Linux system before I ever find someone's last-year box to play on. ;-)

moi
New I am doing the best I can
My instructor told me I was working too hard, but tonight she told me that I scored the highest in the class for last class! Now we started part 2 of the class, another 5 weeks, more material to read, more tests, more assignments, etc.

I have a 3.89 GPA now, studying for 40 to 60 hours a week shows by the results.

Heh heh, Lindows/Linspire is tricky. They are getting people who are upset by Microsoft, but want to pay for an alternative. While it is sneaky, it makes perfect business sense to limit the user's option to use their CNR application to download and install software from for $5/month. That is about $60/year if they pay per month, and $55/year if they pay per year. Most of the downloads are F/OSS software which costs CNR members no extra fee to download, but non-members cannot download anything but OS updates. Getting Apt-Get working ensures that I can download F/OSS software without using the slick CNR interface. Now that I got the GNU Unix development tools, I can download tarballs and run the config and make scripts to install things.

I have a web server running Linspire right now, at xormad.com or normad.com and right now I have the GPL SNITZ forums in ASP on port 4096 under XP Pro, but I hope to get PHPBB running which is superior to SNITZ and then close down the IIS server. I even downloaded the source code to this zIWT forum and might play a bit with that. Of course all this is pending when I can find the free-time to play with Linux and associated files and programs. My Linux admin skills are a bit rusty, but I am cleaning them up. I forgot a lot, but I am picking things up quick. I did migrate everything from IIS to Apache 2.0, except the SNITZ forums. Ah heck if I get the free time to learn PHP and Python, I might try and help Scott out in converting the forum to PHP or add more features to it. That is a mighty big if, maybe I'll do it after I graduate? Then I can try to contribute something back to IWETHEY for all the bandwidth I've wasted on it. :)

"What's the use of saving life when you see what you do with it?" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Finished part 1 of my class, ready for part 2 - (orion) - (3)
         Congrats on the test scores - (lincoln)
         Sounds like a massive amount of stuff - (Ashton) - (1)
             I am doing the best I can - (orion)

There might be poisonous gnomes hiding behind the furniture and I can't take that chance.
45 ms