IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Thinking about the Air Farce...
I don't think the Air Force flies the A-10 warthog. Isn't it a Marine or Army weapon? I'm thinking Army.

Besides, the AC-130 is replacing the A-10, IMHO, along with the Blackhawk helicopters.

The AC-130 has a 50mm "canon".

Glen Austin
New A-10 is an Air force weapon.
Mainly because they don't want anybody infringing on their "fixed-wing" territory.

Leading up to the Persian Gulf Steamroller, the Air Force wanted to nix the A-10 - it wasn't sexy enough, and actually got too close to the idea of actually *GASP* supporting the Army, as opposed to just making sure that enemy planes couldn't do anything to them.

Then the PGSteamroller came along, and suddenly the A-10 was sexy - and the Army said, "Hey, if you don't want that, we'll take it!" Smelling a turf grab, the Air Force said they would keep the A-10 program.

I honestly don't know about the AC-130 replacing the Warthog - but if it does, I'll be sad. The Warthog just sounds like a great all-around plane...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New But just barely.
Leading up to the Persian Gulf Steamroller, the Air Force wanted to nix the A-10 - it wasn't sexy enough, and actually got too close to the idea of actually *GASP* supporting the Army, as opposed to just making sure that enemy planes couldn't do anything to them.

Oh, it was the Army trying to kill it too.

How *dare* the air force kill tanks. THAT"S THEIR JOB.

They didn't like having to "call for support" (this does make some sense, from a standpoint of differing goals). The Air Force didn't want to be in the close Air Support role, they wanted the expensive, fancy stuff.

The Army didn't want them in the close Air Support Role, and they wanted the expensive, fancy helicopters.

Whole deal smelled incredibly like the German 88 of WWII....

I honestly don't know about the AC-130 replacing the Warthog - but if it does, I'll be sad. The Warthog just sounds like a great all-around plane...

First, its not a great "all-around" airplane. :) Technically speaking. Its really built for daylight operations. It suffers incredibly in bad weather - which is one of the Army's gripes. They were considering making new ones, a few years back, wth 2 people, and that would allow "all weather" operations, but see the above battle.. and nevermind. So they've stop-gapped some, giving the pilots night-vision goggles, etc. etc...

But the AC-130 won't replace the A-10, they've got horribly different missions. The AC-130 can only be used where Air Superiority has been established (it would be easy meat for a fighter), and not hard to kill with SAM or AA fire. the A-10 comes in barely over the trees, can dodge, and even fight back, to some extent .

Having said that, this is the same DoD that introduced the 5.56mm S109....................................................

Addison
New AC-130 has a 105mm cannon...
...AND a 40mm cannon AND either 2x20mm gatling guns (older, H model) or 1x25mm gatling gun (newer, U model). And as long as the bad guys don't have too much in the way of antiaircraft, there's probably no better fixed-wing ground support aircraft in the world.

Brian Bronson
AC-130U flight test engineer in a previous life
New That's a mighty big if there, buster... :-)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
     Only US Company that is hiring a lot is the US Military? - (orion) - (8)
         are you under 18-34 in good health? - (boxley) - (1)
             Age 33 but poor health - (orion)
         Thinking about the Air Farce... - (inthane-chan) - (5)
             Re: Thinking about the Air Farce... - (gdaustin) - (4)
                 A-10 is an Air force weapon. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                     But just barely. - (addison)
                 AC-130 has a 105mm cannon... - (bbronson) - (1)
                     That's a mighty big if there, buster... :-) -NT - (inthane-chan)

Sharp as a balloon.
50 ms