IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The cold war
The cold war was quite the aberration itself, the majority of Americans have grown up under the impression that war is unusual. But the truth is, that prior to the cold war, there was a significant war going on someplace around the globe pretty much constantly. The cold war divided the globe up into two neat camps, while at the same time encouraging the major players to avoid direct conflict.

Jay
New Minor quibble:
there was a significant war going on someplace around the globe pretty much constantly. The cold war divided the globe up into two neat camps, while at the same time encouraging the major players to avoid direct conflict.

I think I know what you mean, but I can't quite agree.

But I don't think it changed much for anybody other than us, and our immediate allies and first world countries.

Africa? Been fighting the whole time. India? Pakistan? Middle East? South America? Central America? Lots of fighting there....

It didn't quietly divide. There were proxy wars, but the wars were going to be fought anyway, for the most part - and plenty of wars started without any help from either US or USSR.

Addison
New I remember "Duck & Cover" drills
in elementary school.

I remember a pamphlet from the 50's with the different signals the town firewhistle would blow in various states of emergency. It included "Danger: imminent nuclear attack" and "Danger:fallout", IIRC.

Toward mid-70's, the nuclear threat didn't really seem real, at all. I remember going into a fallout shelter with my buddies (out exploring) and taking the candies that were part of it's normal supply. By that time, no-one (that I knew of) believed that fallout shelters were gonna do a bit of good, anyway.

I think that humans get bored of things that threaten them.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
     The case against normalcy - (marlowe) - (5)
         The cold war - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             Minor quibble: - (addison)
             I remember "Duck & Cover" drills - (imric)
         Foolishness... - (Simon_Jester)
         The briefest description of 'normalcy' I know of is - (Ashton)

Bit of an extreme case, isn't it?
48 ms