IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Depends on the kind of data
I'm dealing mostly with trees these days, and grid type controls don't necessarily provide the kind of views that I need. XML would be a little friendlier, but most people aren't proficient at hand editing xml values. The other problem, of course, is that many views contain data from multiple tables that don't map into a single view very well.

Personally, I think data-bound controls on forms are over-rated as a form of user input - requiring the user to bend their view to the database, instead of vice-versa.
New Mostly agree
Many data types do not map easily to a database, and do not map to common form controls. Shoehorning data into a UI that it doesn't fit is an obviously bad idea.

But I disagree that data-bound controls necessarily means requiring the user to bend their view to the database rahter than vice versa. Choose your UI, and then choose your implementation. If you work that way, then when you use data-bound controls, you wind up having to work extra-hard to design the database tables to fit the UI.

Furthermore I'd say that whenever you have an impedance mismatch between how the database is organized and the user interface, you get problems. Those problems vary from limitations in performance to repeated bugs. This may or may not be seen as important enough to try to fix the impedance mismatch, but it is something to be aware of.

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
New Love 'impedance mismatch' !
The 'real' component is that of resistance - to change? - as a source of heat? The imaginary components, inductive and capacitive reactance.. also map pretty well to psych ideas. Never thought of that simile before! (Or what one might do with the vector quantities, in further refinement)

Nice.

In the final analysis, everything depends on <==> everything else
Ashley Brilliant
     Discussion topic: data-aware controls on forms - (admin) - (31)
         How active? Context? - (ben_tilly) - (3)
             Re: How active? Context? - (admin) - (2)
                 Are you really asking why Access is a bad idea? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Whoops. - (admin)
         Bad idea. - (mmoffitt) - (18)
             Implementation vs effect - (ben_tilly) - (17)
                 Consider what goes on in most such setups. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                     Don't be sure about the surely - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                         Re: Don't be sure about the surely - (admin) - (4)
                             That I agree with - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                 Why more? - (admin) - (2)
                                     Duplication of information - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                         Must depend on what you're doing. - (admin)
                         I can't add much to what Scott said. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                             Then see my response to Scott - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                 I did. And how? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                     Ah, good point - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                         Problem is rollback - (drewk) - (1)
                                             That's only an argument for a wrapper - (ben_tilly)
                 Er, what headaches? - (admin) - (3)
                     Depends how you're set up - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                         Re: Depends how you're set up - (admin) - (1)
                             More moving parts - (ben_tilly)
         always thought that all forms should be a view of the table - (boxley)
         Depends on the kind of data - (ChrisR) - (2)
             Mostly agree - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                 Love 'impedance mismatch' ! - (Ashton)
         You didn't specify stateful or stateless system - (drewk) - (2)
             Stateful. - (admin) - (1)
                 Then the issue is multi-column constraints - (drewk)
         Neat idea, but marginal in practice - (JayMehaffey)

That'll be $8.50, Mac.
98 ms