IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's the same sound all the way through, not a diphtong.
Which is the trouble with "boat"; the vowel sound there starts out as one thing after the 'b', and ends up as something else just before the 't'.

So, in *that* respect, das German "Boot" is more like the English "boot", where you also have the same single vowel sound all the way -- only trouble is, it's not the *same* sound; the English 'oo' in "boot" sounds much more "sissy". (Because it is pronounced farther to the front of your mouth, I think.) The German one is "deeper" or "darker" or... Ah, fuck knows how to express this shit in words.

All in all, though, I'd say the closest you can get to das German "Boot" in written English is "bawt"; i.e, the word "awe" sandwiched in between a 'b' and a 't'. (Where, in a charming display of the logic and consistency of English spelling, the two letters 'a' and 'w' denote a single sound.)

HTH!

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
New Two letters denote a single sound? How about...
...Four. "Bought". From an Australian point of view that'd be the same as b-awe-t. But a generic American-accented 'bought' would be more akin to an Australian 'bart'...or, hmm - actually you're quite right:
Ah, fuck knows how to express this shit in words.
(That'd be an lrpd candidate if the lrpd hadn't taken a vow of non-potty-mouthedness...)
Two out of three people wonder where the other one is.
New Interesting...
That doesn't sound at all like the pronunciation sound files I've come across.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Asking CRC how to say something is like asking
truman capote how to say gaiter. Brilliant linguist (like CRC) but southern spoken. CRC is southern via sweden and finland. I have heard the oldenburg (saxony) folks call it bot where the o is like the english bot in robot with a slight u flavor to the o.
thanx,
bill
attempting to explain profiling doesn't require one to take a position for or against it any more than attempting to explain gravity requires one to be for or against gravity. Walter Williams
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Yah, well, as the BOx sez, "with a slight u flavor to the o"
But HTF do you write that?!?(*)

Or, alternatively, "like the english bot in robot" -- only A) longer, and B) provided it's Cultured British English were talking about. ('Coz otherwise it'd become too much like "baht", and WTF does the Thai currency have to do with this?)

HT... Nah, OK, it probably won't; but I *did* try my best.

(*): Yeah, yeah, I know -- like this: "with a slight u flavor to the o"!

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Your lies are of Microsoftian Scale and boring to boot. Your 'depression' may be the closest you ever come to recognizing truth: you have no 'inferiority complex', you are inferior - and something inside you recognizes this. - [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=71575|Ashton Brown]
     Das Boot - (admin) - (39)
         Closer to boht. - (mmoffitt) - (37)
             That's the consensus around here. - (admin) - (36)
                 Canadian, it figures cause he sez oot for out -NT - (boxley) - (30)
                     No Canadian I know says oot for out - (lister) - (29)
                         Well, we're rife with Canadians here - (admin) - (22)
                             Where are they from? -NT - (lister) - (21)
                                 Windsor & Toronto - (admin) - (20)
                                     How curious - (lister) - (19)
                                         They're all young. - (admin) - (17)
                                             I guess I can pass for an American then - (lister) - (16)
                                                 When you're paying attention... - (admin) - (15)
                                                     I'd need proof for myself - (lister) - (14)
                                                         You don't get it - (jake123) - (13)
                                                             That could be it - (lister) - (10)
                                                                 Nit: s/doofus'/doofi -NT - (drewk) - (8)
                                                                     Nit: s/doofi/doofuses/ -NT - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                                                         Thought of the es version afterwards - (lister)
                                                                         Nit: s/doofuses/doofusen/ -NT - (drewk) - (5)
                                                                             dictionary.com and m-w.com say doofuses - (lister) - (4)
                                                                                 You ... are ... - (drewk) - (3)
                                                                                     That's because you're an illiterate colonial baboon. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                                         Hey watch the wide swath of that brush! - (lister)
                                                                                     No - (lister)
                                                                 There was a SNL skit along those lines ... - (Another Scott)
                                                             Exactly - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                 Actually... - (admin)
                                         peter jennings does it every nite -NT - (boxley)
                         That's what I thought when I lived in Canada - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                             *shrug* - (lister) - (4)
                                 There's a 'Tronno' in Australia too - (Meerkat) - (3)
                                     Just the locals? Or everyone? - (lister) - (2)
                                         locals call it tronna - (boxley)
                                         May be based more on upbringing - (Meerkat)
                 It's the same sound all the way through, not a diphtong. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     Two letters denote a single sound? How about... - (Meerkat)
                     Interesting... - (admin) - (2)
                         Asking CRC how to say something is like asking - (boxley)
                         Yah, well, as the BOx sez, "with a slight u flavor to the o" - (CRConrad)
         Closest to boat. - (FuManChu)

Given sufficient thrust, even pigs can fly. You just don't want to be around when they come back down.
93 ms