IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Go yell at your support guys.
The patch to prevent this was released on April 11. Get a copy of the latest Stinger as a bandaid till you can get your system up to snuff with all the latest critical patches from MS.
-----------------------------------------
It is much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New We got an e-mail today that they are patching everyone
tonight. I don't blame them so much, Microsoft patches can really screw up your machine.
New I used to agree with that
"Critical" updates are pretty accurately named. As all of their updates (with a few telling exceptions) are now able to be rolled back, this "screwing up your machine" isn't the concern it once was. Also, I don't remember any of the critical updates in the past year or so actually breaking any windows functionality. They may break compatability with old/poorly written third party apps but the trade off is severe. The loss of productivity, the cost in salary of idled workers, the time support workers spend on emergency patching. All of these because of a wide spread infestation by the virus of the month that takes advantage of the security hole these patches are meant to close.

We actually had entire buildings of workers without network access. We shut down our VPN concentrators. This affected literally thousands of our employees worldwide. The cost must be significant. If I was in upper management, I'd be talking to our lawyers. But then again, if I was in upper management, we'd have a saner policy regarding patch implementation.
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New This patch can break stuff.
There was a nice long thread on NTBugTraq about this particular little patch, indicating that people were experiencing breakage with it.

Breakage like 100% CPU usage and nonresponsive systems.
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.
New We saw that too.
During a meeting discussing the results of testing, it was brought up that NT4 servers with anything less than service pack 6a showed these symptoms. I don't remember any other breakage found. As the instructions for the patch stress having the latest service pack, I'm not sure I'd class this as 'breakage'. I haven't read the bugtrak thread though so there may well be other things I haven't heard of.
Mike Royko
New I haven't seen a single problem with my domain server.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

Give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute.
Set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
     Infected by sasser at work - (bluke) - (6)
         Go yell at your support guys. - (Silverlock) - (5)
             We got an e-mail today that they are patching everyone - (bluke) - (4)
                 I used to agree with that - (Silverlock) - (3)
                     This patch can break stuff. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                         We saw that too. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             I haven't seen a single problem with my domain server. -NT - (folkert)

You know nothing of this if they ask you...
72 ms