IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OT and completely beyond the scope
You should be using nested set trees for your tree structured data. That's how IWeThey does it, and I've followed the links Scott posted back when he wroted it to implement some stuff recently.
===

Implicitly condoning stupidity since 2001.
New Scott's the one that pointed me in the Sybase direction
I do use nested set trees in the application. But I also keep parent/child pointers in the table, as some things run faster on one or the other - depending on what you are trying to poll.

Nested sets are definitely the shizz. Admin provided me with some sample T-SQL code last year that helped me get over the performance hump in the application. Probably wouldn't have quite my previous job without 'em. :-)
New Cool, and a question
Probably wouldn't have quite my previous job without 'em. :-)
Did you mean "quit" your previous job? Just struck me as odd that the job would have been a "previous" already if you were doing it well. Or was it a contract? Eh, maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
===

New Spelling impaired
Working outdoors all day putting up the new shed and the brain went to mush. :-)
New Parent/child IDs
zIWT uses them too, because as you noted there are some situations where they are faster.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New When would that be?
Other than "What is the immediate parent of this one record" I can't think of one. Off the top of my head I can't think of a reason to want that.

Reason I'm asking is that I've written a way to move children to a new parent. I could add the parent/child columns, but won't do it if there's not a compelling reason.
===

New That's a big one.
But the use isn't necessarily one of querying. Consider the "parent" links on the post view page.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New OK, but why not ...
Wait, I think I just answered my own question. I use threaded view instead of one post at a time, so you've already got the data. I guess one-post-at-a-time mode you don't already have that.
===

T-SQL to T-SQL Conversion - (ChrisR) - (13)
         Guesses on #1 - (FuManChu) - (3)
             Sorry, I should have put in the aliasing for you: - (FuManChu) - (2)
                 The subquery will work - (ChrisR) - (1)
                     futzing around some more - (ChrisR)
         OT and completely beyond the scope - (drewk) - (7)
             Scott's the one that pointed me in the Sybase direction - (ChrisR) - (6)
                 Cool, and a question - (drewk) - (1)
                     Spelling impaired - (ChrisR)
                 Parent/child IDs - (admin) - (3)
                     When would that be? - (drewk) - (2)
                         That's a big one. - (admin) - (1)
                             OK, but why not ... - (drewk)
         Answer on the Sybase equivalent of REPLACE - (ChrisR)

We're sorry. Your LRPD has been back-ordered, and will ship when stocks have been replenished.
58 ms