IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not just IT.
I can't think of any equipment manufacturer from Caterpillar on down that doesn't try to get lock-in for parts, services and even upgrades.

The medical testing equipment at labs I deal with - I always wondered how these rickety outfits could afford that fancy equipment, so I talked to a lady from Bechman.

She said the machine we were setting up listed at a quarter of a million, but the lab didn't actually pay for it. What they did was sign a contract that they have to buy all the reagents, supplies and services from Bechman. The way out of their previous contract was to upgrade to the latest model. Now that's lock-in in spades.

One of the clients who complains about my high charges accidentally left a Bechman service invoice exposed. A low level Bechman tech charges $250/hr including travel time.

You didn't think Microsoft actually "innovated" lock-in did you?
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New No, not JUST IT
But the ease of achieving lock-in is much higher with IT than in many other areas of business.

For instance a restaurant-goer isn't locked into any particular restaurant. Ford is not generally locked in to any particular parts supplier.

That other areas of business want to achieve lock-in is natural. When Coke is in a position to nail a restaurant that sold Pepsi as Coke, they force them to only sell soft-drinks from Coca-Cola. Nice profit opportunity there. Your airline is trying to do the same with a frequent-flyer program.

And when you get to other technology businesses, the same dynamics that drive it in IT are at work.

However software is special. Software lock-in tends to be harder to avoid, and other business factors (such as significant per unit manufacturing costs) are missing, making management of lock-in a more significant dynamic than otherwise.

As for your snide comment about Microsoft, I'd hope you would give me more credit than that. Or did you think that I didn't know that Microsoft learned directly from IBM?

Cheers,
Ben
To deny the indirect purchaser, who in this case is the ultimate purchaser, the right to seek relief from unlawful conduct, would essentially remove the word consumer from the Consumer Protection Act
- [link|http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=1246&Page=1&pagePos=20|Nebraska Supreme Court]
     Windows sucks, we know it, and you're locked in - (lincoln) - (23)
         I believe that, "Well, DUH!", is the proper response. -NT - (n3jja) - (12)
             WOW. - (folkert) - (10)
                 Oh, always around. - (n3jja) - (9)
                     What are you doing now? -NT - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                         Let me put it this way. - (n3jja) - (7)
                             Teacher? -NT - (imric) - (4)
                                 I'd laugh, but.... - (n3jja) - (3)
                                     *chuckle* Yeah 3 years'd give you tenure - (imric) - (2)
                                         Should be there. -NT - (n3jja) - (1)
                                             Cool. -NT - (imric)
                             You want fries with that? - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                 I'd probably make more money there. -NT - (n3jja)
             Oi. (new thread) - (pwhysall)
         Just remember that if Microsoft follows economic theory... - (ben_tilly) - (9)
             In that case... - (jb4) - (8)
                 Uh... You were being sarcastic, right? -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                     YES...and NO - (jb4) - (1)
                         Fe-y? -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Only if you believe that competitors will do better - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                     Until I read your last paragraph, I was gonna say... - (jb4) - (3)
                         After reading that response I am forced to say... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                             Not just IT. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 No, not JUST IT - (ben_tilly)

Maybe this is what seafood will do in a thousand years.
92 ms