IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So, what's there to see in Chicago?
Susan and I are doing the "last big trip before we buy a house + have kids" thing - we're taking a train across the U.S., from Seattle to Washington DC. There's a train switch in Chicago, and I can probably stretch that out into a 24 hour stop.

Is there anything in Chicago worth taking 24 hours off to see?
Nobody wins in a butter eating contest
New eat at bubba gumps on the pier hangout at a blues club
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Me.
-YendorMike

[link|http://www.hope-ride.org/|http://www.hope-ride.org/]
New Well, that might happen too. :)
New And Dan Reck, Me.
I know I could swing a round trip to Chitown... especially to Naperville...

There is a place where you order the pizza a hour before you get there... :)

Mike knows which one that is!
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

Give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute.
Set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
New A torn up runway that used to be a jewel. :-(
"It is very difficult to explain to an Iraqi that a man fighting from his own town with a Kalashnikov or RPG launcher is a 'coward' and a 'war criminal' (because, apparently, he should go out into the desert and wait to be annihilated from the sky) but that someone dropping 2000-pound bombs on residential areas or shooting at ambulances because they may have guns in them (even though they usually don't) is a hero and is following the laws of war."

- Rahul Mahajan
New Couple ideas
All the museums around Grant park, lunch at the Billy Goat tavern, a really off off Broadway show, Michigan Ave and/or Marshall Fields (does Susan like shopping?). Visit the top of the Sears tower. Get a real Chicago hot dog. Navy Pier. Pizza. and so on and so on.
-----------------------------------------
It is much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New The Museum of Science and Industry is worth a trip too.
[link|http://www.msichicago.org/|http://www.msichicago.org/]

Cheers,
Scott.
New additionally
Second City theater, a great Greektown and Chinatown, have lunch or a weekend brunch at The Drake hotel overlooking Oak St beach, eat and drink at The 95th on the 95th floor of the John Hanconck tower.
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New You're making me homesick
I lived in Chicago for twelve years before moving to Denver.

Now you've got me remembering all the things I liked about the town!

In particular:
- Second City
- Theater in general
- Many great restaurants, particularly ethnic cuisine (we lived near Devon Ave. where the best Indian/Pakistani food could be found.)
- Museum of Natural History

In addition, with CTA it was so easy to get around town I sold my car about a month after I moved.

Pardon me while I drift off into a nostalgic haze....
Tom Sinclair

"While I'm still confused and uncertain, it's on a much higher plane, d'you
see, and at least I know I'm bewildered about the really fundamental and
important facts of the universe."
Treatle nodded. "I hadn't looked at it like that," he said, "But you're
absolutely right. He's really pushed back the boundaries of ignorance."
-- Discworld scientists at work
(Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites)
New Actually, If you wanna go WAAAAY-up-inna-air
you'd probably be better to go to the top of the John Hancock tower. The bar at the top (It used to be called "the 95th", it may still be) is a bit pricey, but you can't beat the view!

And since you're there, right across the street is: 1) the historic water tower, 2) The Chicago Store, which has infor on Chi-town and souvenirs, etc. and 3) Water Tower Place, a 10 story mall that contains the aforementioned Marshal Fields dept. store. (Billy Goat's is just down the street, too!)
jb4
shrub\ufffdbish (Am., from shrub + rubbish, after the derisive name for America's 43 president; 2003) n. 1. a form of nonsensical political doubletalk wherein the speaker attempts to defend the indefensible by lying, obfuscation, or otherwise misstating the facts; GIBBERISH. 2. any of a collection of utterances from America's putative 43rd president. cf. BULLSHIT

New Just the US? I thought you said it was a big trip ;-)
John. Busy lad.
New Ain't got that much dough. :P
Housing is fucking expensive these days.

No kid of mine is growing up in an apartment warren, either.
New Wave as you go by
Railroad track literally go through my backyard. Amtrak comes by at 6:30 a.m.

South side of tracks, big white and green house, about 5 minutes after leaving the Twin Cites (Minnesota) depot.

Have a great trip. Brings back memories...
New Re: So, what's there to see in Chicago?
OT: haven't forgotten about you...will email, life crazy.

Bubba Gumps is good, altho Dick's Last Resort is pretty cool. I always suggest DLR if you're on navy pier. Skip the rest of the pier, it's gentrified like san fransisco or santa monica or seattle, standard imax/giftshops/amusements stuff, although the ferris wheel is fun on a clear day.

Art Institute, Museum of Science and Industry, Field Museum are very good. Shedd Aquarium is nice, far better than the one in Seattle but IMO not as cool as Monterrey Bay.

A bit of comedic history is The Second City; this is where Carvey got his start, and is why Wayne's World was in Aurora, Ill (my hometown). They used to say, "Are the people from Aurora here yet?" Look at a map and this makes sense--back then, it went Lake Michigan, Chicago, suberbs, western burbs, Aurora, farms, rocky mountains. Not so true anymore but that's how it was back then.

Remember "Cheeseburger Cheeseburger Cheeseburger?" on the old SNL's with Belushi? Billy Goat Tavern, don't remember the address but it's somewhere on lower wacker drive and ask around. This is the source of the "billy goat curse" on the cubs.

If it's clear, the observation deck on sears tower is worth a look. I used to work in the building right across the street, 311 s wacker. Did you happen to see that movie Michael a few years ago? (good date movie). If so, the courtyard at 311 is where his death scene took place, I had many a smoke right there.

Wrigley Field is worth a look if you're into baseball, and the cubs are allegedly pretty good this year (don't know, don't pay attention).

While you're there, you'll be right by the Chicago River. Note the drawbridges. One year, like 89 or so, one of those fell _up_ because a counterweight broke. That was the same year that the river leaked into a bunch of coal tunnels that had been forgotten about until a lot of high-rent-building basements flooded. The joke that year was "Welcome to Chicago, where bridges fall up and rivers leak."

Daley Plaza, with the picasso that shows up in every movie about chicago even if the action takes place nowhere near it, is a few blocks north and east of the tower.

Chicago works on a grid like the seattle area (and allegedly seattle itself). The streets are named but the major ones show the grid number, and the locals frequently know the grid assiciated with the street.

I'm not really a nightlife in the city kind of person, somebody else can probably help you there more than I can. Division street used to be cool, just be careful or you end up in robert taylor homes (used to be that way anyway).

Yummy Italian place in Wrigleyville where my sister works, I'll get the exact address.

When and how long are you there?
FAQ! We're scrod!
     So, what's there to see in Chicago? - (inthane-chan) - (14)
         eat at bubba gumps on the pier hangout at a blues club -NT - (boxley)
         Me. -NT - (Yendor) - (2)
             Well, that might happen too. :) -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                 And Dan Reck, Me. - (folkert)
         A torn up runway that used to be a jewel. :-( -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Couple ideas - (Silverlock) - (4)
             The Museum of Science and Industry is worth a trip too. - (Another Scott)
             additionally - (lincoln) - (1)
                 You're making me homesick - (tjsinclair)
             Actually, If you wanna go WAAAAY-up-inna-air - (jb4)
         Just the US? I thought you said it was a big trip ;-) -NT - (Meerkat) - (1)
             Ain't got that much dough. :P - (inthane-chan)
         Wave as you go by - (jbrabeck)
         Re: So, what's there to see in Chicago? - (rickw)

Right-eous-ness cha cha cha.
128 ms