IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks, Peter
re 1)
Yes, recall the raw sockets crusade and agree that the style of his presentations is a bit Disneylandish. As I comprehend it - his little Shields Up thingie merely tries for access at a few over 1000 ports. If "they" cannot see you, or 2nd grade: can see you but not enter - isn't that Good Enough? Perhaps there are better attacks I might request (of the installer / congfigurator). No argument from moi re Gibson's net wiles being Wizard-grade, though he appeared at one point to have pretty well ID'd the source/child of a DDOS attack, etc.

2)
Netgear longevity noted; pondering presenting locals with fait accompli - especially if it saves friend some $ while also working quite well.

Unclear about ZA acting only after connection to computer succeeds - thought the point of its messages ~same as a rudimentary packet sniffer: acknowledging that such were aimed at any open port xxxx: had you left it open. You hadn't.
[or.. is your box even visible on Net at all, if ZA is properly functioning?]

I note the artfulness of their moving around, hiding - the guts of the True Vector engine, via changing directory name randomly, etc. I expect that many are at work attempting to beat that system; these methods are, of course - outta my league.

I just wondered if ZA could /should remain a backup, or if KISS is better - delete one more running task in Doze, say. That seeems to be your recommendation. OK

3)
Intel >> 3Com. Drivers point also noted.

3B) Cheapskates indeed! but cheap in terms of wasted fix-labour. I sorta Know this putrefying [9.x] piece of Billy-innovation (though hardly in the way that You Know intimately where it screws up in actual heavy service). Friend realizes by now: don't ask it to do more than 3 things, and maybe it will. And she 'knows' the layout of this POS.

[RT-314]
See what you mean re prices. If paranoid get two - one is bound to work, even from eBay.

5 years is proof of concept, and I believe I can count on you to have noticed any weirdness. ;-) Believe I'll snipe this new one w/ 5 yr warranty, today (3091329117)- seller's lengthy description fills in all the blanks, obv from Netgear specs. Heh, saves faux debate with local guru.. Maybe an el-cheapo one too, for at-home amidst the 9.x Loosers, who are Waiting for Godot

Thanks much; I adore simple/perfect solutions. On to Intel; can't fight nasty Big monopolies in this yuga!

Ashton, gratefully
Drill hole; run CAT-5, PnP
Hmmm may end up staying around and seeing if I can make the sucker sing, from just whatever Netgear's how-to describes.

Must. Study. NAT.
New If she's going to use a VPN
Most companies will configure the VPN to disallow a connection to a home network while running. There are ways around this but it's a question to ask.

As for the rest rest, try [link|http://www.ddj.com/documents/s=2856/nam1012432334/|this]. Dr. Dobb's guide to basic home networking security.
-----------------------------------------
It is much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New Using Cisco VPN..
..in my current position and have no issues with home networking.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I'm glad for you.
Your company must have weighed the benefits and costs of this measure and carefully...

What am I saying? Who'd ya bribe?
-----------------------------------------
It is much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New Small start-up
Well, not so small anymore, but still VC based and progressive on the work from home rules.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
     Networking etiquette questions, please - (Ashton) - (7)
         Re: Networking etiquette questions, please - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Thanks, Peter - (Ashton) - (4)
                 If she's going to use a VPN - (Silverlock) - (3)
                     Using Cisco VPN.. - (bepatient) - (2)
                         I'm glad for you. - (Silverlock) - (1)
                             Small start-up - (bepatient)
         Gracias, as always - - (Ashton)

It's like an ee cummings poem written using only the usernames a website suggests when the one you want is taken.
44 ms