IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Somewhat simple way.
Two interesting aspects to this

1st is that the dialing is being requested by Generic Host Process for Windows & if I block it I can't access the Internet.

Anyway according to Zone Alarm shortly after I logged in, the above component was the one trying to dial the Internet. It is a catch-22 - say no & you don't get access - say yes & the durned think keeps dialling in after a log off.

The frustration here is that Zone Alarm is touted as the best form of personal security but if I apply it I can't get *normal* access to the net. Turn Zone Alarm off & all seems ok.

Doug
Expand Edited by dmarker April 17, 2004, 05:21:57 AM EDT
New Re: Somewhat simple way.
Lock down the GHP long enough for windows to try to dial home, then later check the log to see where (IP and port) it was trying to connect to. You may be able to block access just to that port or IP and still be able to use GHP for normal connections.
~~~)-Steven----

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..."

General George S. Patton
New Location of the log ?

Is this in the control panel/management area or somwhere in Windows dir ?

Tks

Doug
     How to determine what app is dialling out - (dmarker) - (10)
         Somewhat simple way. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
             Re: Somewhat simple way. - (dmarker) - (2)
                 Re: Somewhat simple way. - (Steven A S) - (1)
                     Location of the log ? - (dmarker)
         Common enough that MS has a knowledgebase article on it. - (Silverlock) - (3)
             That KB Article, (and other referenced KB articles in it) - (folkert)
             Many thanks - seems we each need a personal MS database :-) - (dmarker)
             dialling out again - but this time due to - (dmarker)
         unplug phone line when not logged in -NT - (boxley)
         I think I found a description - (Silverlock)

I say first, medicinal wine from a teaspoon, then beer from a bottle!
137 ms