IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's about time Tim Berners-Lee was rewarded.
[link|http://dir.salon.com/tech/col/rose/2000/10/05/gore_internet/index.html|Gore's comment] had to do with the Internet not WWW.
Gore never claimed to have "invented" the Internet. What he said was: During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet.
He voted to fund it.

Bill? He was [link|http://archive.salon.com/21st/books/|slow to figure out] what it was all about.
"The Road Ahead" appeared in December 1995, just as Gates was unveiling Microsoft's master plan to "embrace and extend" the Internet. Yet the book's first edition, with its clunky accompanying CD-ROM, mentioned the Web a mere seven times in nearly 300 pages. Though later editions tried to correct this gaffe, "The Road Ahead" remains a landmark of bad techno-punditry -- and a time-capsule illustration of just how easily captains of industry can miss a tidal wave that's about to engulf them.
Alex

Sacred cows make the best hamburger. --Mark Twain
New I know. I shudda added the sign...
[image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]

my bad!
New Hard to add the sign to the subject line.
What kind of smiley would indicate sarcasm? If there isn't one already designated for the pupose then perhaps a tilde ~).
-----------------------------------------
It is much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New evil grin }:-> sarcasm :.-) (wink?)
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Nah, Sarcasm has to be a sideways grin at least :-/
Still not quite right though.
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New :-] or :-> according to ...
[link|http://www.computeruser.com/resources/dictionary/emoticons.html|Emoticons].

Can't say I agree though. I often use :-> as more of a grin than :-), but I'm no authority...

Cheers,
Scott.
New I think we can choose our own.
I like the tilde one because I've never seen it before.
Mike Royko
New How's about -- :-J Tongue in cheek?
or add the wink and make it ;-J or ;-j ??
New I like it.
New Which one?
The "official" tongue in cheek -- :-J (colon dash J)

or my variation of ;-J (semicolon dash J) or ;-j (semicolon dash j)?

I don't like the J in a serif font IMHO lower case j is better. But in a non serif font I like the upper case J. YMMV

My vote is for the ;-j (semicolon dash lower case j)
New I like it.
Ha!

;-j

that is. Though perhaps Ashton's old standby of :-þ is something to consider too. Maybe with a winky - ;-þ

I dunno. There will always be some ambiguity unless there's something like [image|/forums/images/warning.png|0|This is sarcasm...]
attached to it. Perhaps the Sign can be replaced by: WSWS! if text is needed.

I think we need an RFC on this. Who's willing to start the process?

Cheers,
Scott.
New I think ~) is "go get a haircut
FAQ! We're scrod!
     I thought that Billy claimed that he invented the web. - (jbrabeck) - (12)
         It's about time Tim Berners-Lee was rewarded. - (a6l6e6x) - (11)
             I know. I shudda added the sign... - (jbrabeck) - (10)
                 Hard to add the sign to the subject line. - (Silverlock) - (9)
                     evil grin }:-> sarcasm :.-) (wink?) -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                         Nah, Sarcasm has to be a sideways grin at least :-/ - (Silverlock) - (6)
                             :-] or :-> according to ... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 I think we can choose our own. - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                     How's about -- :-J Tongue in cheek? - (jbrabeck) - (3)
                                         I like it. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             Which one? - (jbrabeck) - (1)
                                                 I like it. - (Another Scott)
                     I think ~) is "go get a haircut -NT - (rickw)

Coo coo ca-choo!
85 ms