IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New They must have removed it
when you logged onto their network. They have scripts that can reconfigure your Windows configuration and remove the local machine entry.

Can you try "Safe Mode"? Hit F8 when it says "Windows XP....". Maybe you can try to recreate the local account? Log into Safe Mode, click on Control Panel, open up the System icon. Click on "Computer Name" and then hit "Change". Does it show your Workgroup or Domain name there? If Domain, don't change anything or else an administrator will have to add your system back into it when you get back in. If it is a workgroup, you can change the workgroup to something else. If you change from domain to workgroup, it will erase the domain, and you do not want that. I suspect you have Domains configured. If so, then you don't have XP Home, as it does not support domains.

Workgroup and Domains joining are expained here:
[link|http://www.lpt.com/windowsnetworking/regusers/wxpjoind.htm|http://www.lpt.com/w...sers/wxpjoind.htm]

While in Safe Mode, see what you can modify in the Administration tools:
Open up the Local Security Policy from the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel. Under Local Policies, User Rights Assignment check that the Log on locally item contains the following groups:

Administrators
Power Users
Users

Chances are they removed all of these groups so nobody can log into the machine locally, and only from a network account.

I am unable to locate where the local computer account is stored that can be switched off and on.

In safe mode do this:

Click on Star Menu, choose Run, type this in:
control userpasswords2

Hit Enter.

Do you see any user names for the computer? If not, they wiped them all out. Some BOFH zapped them. Click ADD to add in the Administrator account, etc.

One way to trick it is to set up an NT 4.0 Server or Windows 2000 Server, or Linux server with a SAMBA server using the same Domain name as your work uses, but at home. Do you have a second machine to log into?

"What's the use of saving life when you see what you do with it?" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Don't do any of this, Linc.
1. If you ain't got admin, you can't add admin.
2. IT will kick yo sorry ass and tell your boss.
3. You're a busy dude, you've got better things to do.
4. Phone it into the helpdesk and make it clear to your boss that this is causing you a problem.
5. The reason nothing will work while you're logging into the domain is "Dude. You got a policy!". You cannot circumvent this.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Can I create an Admin account
that doesn't care if I'm on the network? Or will this policy BS keep biting me in the ass?
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New Who owns the hardwre?
If you own the machine, and your use of it is limited by their restrictions, then they need to supply you with one of their own.
-----------------------------------------
It is much harder to be a liberal than a conservative. Why?
Because it is easier to give someone the finger than it is to give them a helping hand.
Mike Royko
New Me
it was a condition to the job offer, since neither the client nor the contract shop would provide a unit or subsidize my purchasing one. Unfortunately, I've been told by the manager onsite (employee of the pimp shop) that that's the way it is, so live with it.

lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New And employers wonder why people aren't loyal to them.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New I would advise to sit tight
I think you need that job more than you need the control of your computer right now.
--

Buy high, sell sober.
New I think there are only 2 solutions.
1) Talk to the IT support people at your employer and explain your situation.

2) Install BootIt-NG (or similar) and install another OS on a separate partition that you control. (I'd vote for this one myself.)

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Agreed.
Luckily, making your account an administrator is as simple as having somebody with admin rights on the machine type:

"net localgroup administrator <domain><username> /add"

at a command prompt on the machine.

Be careful before you walk into this, though - I don't remember the details of how your laptop got on their domain, but some admin types get nervous when somebody walks in with their own machine. I've recently been through this with a contractor here at work, really got down on their case about security big-time.
Nobody wins in a butter eating contest
     My "employer" has disabled my USB flash drive - (lincoln) - (24)
         Mapped any network drives lately? - (inthane-chan) - (17)
             Yes, but not by choice - (lincoln) - (16)
                 XP/Win2k? - (inthane-chan) - (15)
                     Myself, I avoide Z - (Andrew Grygus)
                     you solved my problem - (lincoln) - (13)
                         Have you tried changing to the "local machine" domain? - (inthane-chan) - (12)
                             "local machine" domain - (lincoln) - (1)
                                 Try unplugging it at work - (orion)
                             Your tip didn't work - (lincoln) - (9)
                                 They must have removed it - (orion) - (8)
                                     Don't do any of this, Linc. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                                         Can I create an Admin account - (lincoln) - (6)
                                             Who owns the hardwre? - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                                 Me - (lincoln) - (2)
                                                     And employers wonder why people aren't loyal to them. -NT - (jake123)
                                                     I would advise to sit tight - (Arkadiy)
                                             I think there are only 2 solutions. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Agreed. - (inthane-chan)
         Re: My "employer" has disabled my USB flash drive - (qstephens) - (5)
             If that is the case - (orion) - (4)
                 now this sucks - (lincoln) - (3)
                     Your employer has a help desk/tech support area? - (Meerkat)
                     Settle down - (orion) - (1)
                         He doesn't have XP Home. - (inthane-chan)

I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
108 ms