IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Supporting older Windows
Yeeesssshhhh, my Aunt uses Windows 3.X and refuses to give it up! They got her a newer machine but she insists on using the older one. Her 16 bit AOL client works fine for her. She tells me that she uses Wordperfect 3.0, yikes!

We are trying to move them to DSL, besides the Microsoft Wolverine TCP/IP Winsock (which I think only works with PPP/SLIP connections) what else is there for Windows 3.X Winsock TCP/IP? I may have to, gasp, put an old ISA Ethernet card in there and install the Windows 3.X drivers. I do not think that they include a Winsock TCP/IP driver.

I found my stash of Word 6.0, Excel 5.0, Access 2.0, Powerpoint 4.0 disks. I even found VB 3.0 Pro, but disks 2 and 5 are bad and missing, in that order. I am trying to check the other VB 3.0 disks. Who was the other VB 3.0 user here? Maybe we can combine our disks to get a full working copy of VB 3.0 Pro?

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Got some vb3 disks around here somewhere
But I'd have to dig real deep to find them.
New If she's really junked and you want to set her up with new
stuff, consider throwing warp on there.

You should be able to do this in the config.sys:

set autorunworkplace=c:\\os2\\mdos\\winos2\\progman.exe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - IIRC

which will use the Windows 3.1 program manager as the main shell, though I have to admit I haven't tried it. You can use the File -> Run menu item in Program Manager to fire up PMShell.exe if you need to administer the system (add printers, configure networking, that sort of thing). The only thing you'll need to do is to make sure that the device=c:\\tcpip\\bin\\vdostcp.sys (or some such) is in the config.sys so that you can have internetworking under Windows.

It should let her run all the software she knows, and provide her with the advantages of a real OS.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New I could do that
if she had a CD-ROM drive, which she does not have. The system is so old it may not even have an IDE drive for all I know. Any idea how to take the OS/2 3 Warp install CD and copy it to floppy disks? I'll also need a TCP/IP driver for OS/2 and WIN-OS2 that supports network cards.

Remember that Windows 3.0 ran on 8088/8086 chips too, so it could be one of those. Not even sure if OS/2 ran on anything lower than a 286.

I am finding I do not really have the time to spare for all these computer problems that keep coming my way.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: I could do that
About how to do the floppy disks... read the readme on the CD. All the docs you need are on the CD.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Thanks I did not know it was possible
I read the docs, but missed the floppy creation part. When I get time I will read it over again.

New Norm, learn to say no!
I am finding I do not really have the time to spare for all these computer problems that keep coming my way.

Your schooling has to come first. Your family has to come first. You must learn to say NO to the friends and extended family when they're requesting computer help. Otherwise you end up losing. And they won't care...
New I asked you for those disks 2 years ago
and you said that several in your stash died of bit rot. Have you found a set that is still readable? I'd be very interested in having them copied to a CD. I'll even pay the postage to receive them.
lincoln
"Windows XP has so many holes in its security that any reasonable user will conclude it was designed by the same German officer who created the prison compound in "Hogan's Heroes." - Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
[link|mailto:bconnors@ev1.net|contact me]
New I have a CDROM of WfWG (v3.11)
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey

Give a man a match, he'll be warm for a minute.
Set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!
New Heh. I got one of those too.
One of those little "credit card" size cd-roms. BTW, a little known fact is that WFW (Windows for Warehouses) had a registry. Click File -> Run -> regedit /s /v
I think it is and you actually see the "hives".
bcnu,
Mikem
New I just found a Zip disk that had them on it
email me at ngking at sbcglobal.net and I will burn a CD with the WFW install files on it. They are in directories as DISK1, DISK2, etc. The floppies I had, the originals went bad, but I recently discovered a Zip disk in my things that had them on it. It was an amazing discovery because I might acutally need them. I have not installed it yet, my Aunt wanted to wait until I got some free time from college.

If you got broadband I might put the files on a web server in a Zip file and you can download them and get them quicker. Then I will remove it once you downloaded it. 8 Disks, 11M in size before zipping. Should be quick on a DSL or Cable connection. I assume they can be copied to floppy disks and installed.

The VB 3.0 disks are really bad, so I have to run Disk Doctor on them to hope to repair them. I do not have a workable set, but some disks may be able to be recovered. Since two of the disks are unrecoverable or missing, I cannot install it. Maybe we can combine our disks into one set?

"What's the use of saving life when you see what you do with it?" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

Expand Edited by orion April 28, 2004, 08:00:33 PM EDT
     Supporting older Windows - (orion) - (10)
         Got some vb3 disks around here somewhere - (ChrisR)
         If she's really junked and you want to set her up with new - (jake123) - (4)
             I could do that - (orion) - (3)
                 Re: I could do that - (jake123) - (1)
                     Thanks I did not know it was possible - (orion)
                 Norm, learn to say no! - (jbrabeck)
         I asked you for those disks 2 years ago - (lincoln) - (3)
             I have a CDROM of WfWG (v3.11) -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                 Heh. I got one of those too. - (mmoffitt)
             I just found a Zip disk that had them on it - (orion)

The cancers of the tank come!
113 ms