IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Creating my own perfect company and my own perfect job
Make consumer items and sell them at flea markets and fairs. I am researching DIY web pages on how to make:
Jewlery, Candles, Soap, and Clay items (I used to be great at ceramics, and I found that some clay can be baked in an oven! Useful to make jewlery beads, candle holders, and other stuff.)

It's actually hard to make any significant money doing that, but it's a good way to make some side/starting money if you enjoy doing it. I wouldn't try to mix food with anything else, health regulations are can be very complex.

Out of my home, offer tech support and troubleshooting services for home and small business clients.
Earn enough to get at least $20,000USD to open up a small store front, estimate $2000USD for rent and ultities a month. $2400USD for the salary of two employees at $6USD/hr. $4400USD a month, enough for 4 months of no-profit. Hope we get a profit to keep the store open.

Not a bad idea, but you really have to plan on making no money for a longer period of time. I've read books on opening your own buisness, and they say to plan on 2 years before making a profit.

Also, you need to plan on more then $24,000 if you want two employees. I would say that if you plan to pay them $6/hr then you should plan your expenses for having them at $9/hr. Remember you have to pay salary taxes on top of what you pay them.

If you really want to head that way, hit a book store and buy some books on opening a buisness. My personal recomendation would be to get your out of the house buisness going and see how much of client base you can build.

Jay
New Test the waters
Put ads in the local classifieds that you will do home repair. Have a price list available (suggest the same price as best buy to start..going to the home is the premium.

See what interest it generates.

Why would you want to earn a million then blow it trying to develop software?

Pich a sure thing at that point. Trying to improve on a million in the bank is more risk than reward. While many are willing to take that chance, based upon your input here I would guess you to be slightly more averse to that risk than say...Paul Allen.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Not what I had in mind...

Put ads in the local classifieds that you will do home repair. Have a price list available (suggest the same price as best buy to start..going to the home is the premium.

See what interest it generates.

I do not want to butt heads with the various Unions out there. When I said DIY I was talking about DIY crafts, not DIY house repair.

Why would you want to earn a million then blow it trying to develop software?

Pich a sure thing at that point. Trying to improve on a million in the bank is more risk than reward. While many are willing to take that chance, based upon your input here I would guess you to be slightly more averse to that risk than say...Paul Allen.

It is my dream, my vision, to develop software. I have all these ideas in my head that need to come out and become software products. I only lack the resources I need to complete my dream/vision. Time, people, and money.

The idea is to do well enough to get an Angel/Investor like Allen to invest in the company so we can expand.

What is business without the risk anyway? To get strikes, you got to risk balls. Rather than invest it in the stock market, I'd rather invest it in my own company and see what happens.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Rebuttle, perfect job

It's actually hard to make any significant money doing that, but it's a good way to make some side/starting money if you enjoy doing it. I wouldn't try to mix food with anything else, health regulations are can be very complex.

I had the idea of making ceramic figures and then using them for a mold to make pewter figures. Like for role playing games. Make figures for AD&D, Battlemech, Traveller, Civil War, etc. I could also make chess sets and charge more for a complete set. Maybe sell them at a booth at a gaming convention?

Not a bad idea, but you really have to plan on making no money for a longer period of time. I've read books on opening your own buisness, and they say to plan on 2 years before making a profit.

Also, you need to plan on more then $24,000 if you want two employees. I would say that if you plan to pay them $6/hr then you should plan your expenses for having them at $9/hr. Remember you have to pay salary taxes on top of what you pay them.

If you really want to head that way, hit a book store and buy some books on opening a buisness. My personal recomendation would be to get your out of the house buisness going and see how much of client base you can build.

Ok I did not get to the part about finaces for the business and what to use to support employees. Right now we are getting into research and statistics. Which is why I said I wanted to wait until I graduate. :) This is a rough draft of a plan, not set in stone, it can be changed.

The idea was to start it out of my house and have others work out of their house and make the things we need. Then rent a table at a craft fair, flea market, or gaming convetion to sell them at. Maybe start up an E-Business web site to sell the stuff from. After making our goal of start-up money, we can open up a store.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Re: Rebuttle, perfect job
I had the idea of making ceramic figures and then using them for a mold to make pewter figures. Like for role playing games. Make figures for AD&D, Battlemech, Traveller, Civil War, etc. I could also make chess sets and charge more for a complete set. Maybe sell them at a booth at a gaming convention?

Interesting idea. I've seen and talked with a couple of people that do that in crafts shows. From what I have heard, making a mold that will produce high quality figures is hard. But if you can do that it's a fairly easy craft to make money at because you can mass produce the figures.

Jay
     Creating my own perfect company and my own perfect job - (orion) - (15)
         Drop the food idea - (pwhysall) - (1)
             I have a business partner - (orion)
         Re: Creating my own perfect company and my own perfect job - (JayMehaffey) - (4)
             Test the waters - (bepatient) - (1)
                 Not what I had in mind... - (orion)
             Rebuttle, perfect job - (orion) - (1)
                 Re: Rebuttle, perfect job - (JayMehaffey)
         Let me suggest... - (jb4) - (1)
             Learning from the mistakes of others - (orion)
         first rule of running a business successfully - (boxley) - (3)
             Good advice - (orion) - (2)
                 I didnt mean steal the employees I meant copy the model :-) -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Already done copying the model - (orion)
         Maybe you should buy a franchise - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             looked at music go round? - (Steve Lowe)

Sittin' on the Group W bench.
83 ms